The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Also, does anyone have any good resources which can be used to draw extra-curricular knowledge from?

I haven't found anything yet which is applicable enough, and don't have the time to compile my own..

Would be greatly appreciated!
Guys do we need to know about Cystic Fibrosis and SCID?
Can't see it anywhere on the spec and there wasn't a question on it in last years paper?
Reply 342
Original post by sidney1
Well Blood Glucose concentration I guess.
Glucose is used all over the place, produced from Photosynthesis
And used in Respiration, can't think of much more of the top of my head.

But most of the content would come from AS I guess..

Oooh yeah, thank you :smile:
Original post by Lily112
What could you write about from A2 for carbohydrates?

Carbon cycle? ATP because its vaguely linked to the synthesis of macromolecules? More in the starch cellulose bit of AS though- like in how they are used.
Original post by the boss.
hey can someone please explain the role of atp and adp during muscle contraction (cross-bridge cycle)?

Was reading back through old comments on this - so not sure if anyone replied. This is what I've been taught, not sure how accurate it is but... Basically, ADP is attached to the myosin head as a group. When it binds to Actin, it will give energy to make the cross bridge. The energy released as the ADP is released means that the cross bridge can also hinge and slide Actin. Another molecule of ATP will then bind to the cross bridge, and this will be hydrolysed back into ADP and Pi. This will then break the cross bridge and give energy for myosin to recock and form another actin myosin cross bridge..

Mark schemes normally just ask for the fact that it makes an actin myosin cross bridge, allows actin to slide, actin myosin cross bridge to break and myosin to recock! :smile:

Hope this is okay!
Original post by JamieF95
Guys do we need to know about Cystic Fibrosis and SCID?
Can't see it anywhere on the spec and there wasn't a question on it in last years paper?

There have been some questions on it in the past, so I have learnt it in brief detail- but its better for use in the essay if anything on gene therapy comes up!
Reply 346
Original post by charlottexheath
Was reading back through old comments on this - so not sure if anyone replied. This is what I've been taught, not sure how accurate it is but... Basically, ADP is attached to the myosin head as a group. When it binds to Actin, it will give energy to make the cross bridge. The energy released as the ADP is released means that the cross bridge can also hinge and slide Actin. Another molecule of ATP will then bind to the cross bridge, and this will be hydrolysed back into ADP and Pi. This will then break the cross bridge and give energy for myosin to recock and form another actin myosin cross bridge..

Mark schemes normally just ask for the fact that it makes an actin myosin cross bridge, allows actin to slide, actin myosin cross bridge to break and myosin to recock! :smile:

Hope this is okay!

You're forgetting that the Sarcoplasmic reticulum releases Ca2+ in responses to an action potential from the neuromuscular junction which removes the tropomyosin on the actin filament allowing Myosin head to join
and the enzyme ATPase is used to hydrolyse the ATP into ADP + Pi

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ozy96
You're forgetting that the Sarcoplasmic reticulum releases Ca2+ in responses to an action potential from the neuromuscular junction which removes the tropomyosin on the actin filament allowing Myosin head to join
and the enzyme ATPase is used to hydrolyse the ATP into ADP + Pi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes- but the question was specifically on the use of ATP and ADP and Pi, so how are calcium ions relevant-asides from moving the tropomyosin? The ATPase bit is important though and I did miss that, thank you :smile:
Am I right in thinking that the synoptic essay should not have a conclusion?
Original post by Vengefulcandy
For the essay i'm pretty certain that it will be based on Biomolecules ( ATP, water, ions, proteins, enzymes, carbohydrates) since this synoptic area hasn't come up for a while.
Possibly a genetics one (How parents produce offspring that differ from each other), and least likely transport/movements/energy.

These are just a logical assumption on the essays that have and haven't come up. Knowing aqa they will probably end up dropping a "dry" essay in like the homeostasis one or negative feedback. What thoughts have you guys got on this and do you agree.

sounds like a good suggestion I would really like a biomolecules essay! possibly not genetics cos DNA came up in June 2011?
Reply 350
Yes- but the question was specifically on the use of ATP and ADP and Pi, so how are calcium ions relevant-asides from moving the tropomyosin? The ATPase bit is important though and I did miss that, thank you :smile:

Ca2+ Also activates the enzyme ATPase, that's the only two I think. No problem:h:
Original post by advent
Please can I be really cheeky and ask for a copy if possible?

Is it possible if you can send me a copy of what you have
Original post by sidney1
Also, does anyone have any good resources which can be used to draw extra-curricular knowledge from?

I haven't found anything yet which is applicable enough, and don't have the time to compile my own..

Would be greatly appreciated!

I use CrashCourse on YouTube to revise and they often use examples of experiments and case studies in their videos which link to the topics. A lot of them are historical examples though (e.g. how concepts were first discovered) so I don't know how much credit it would give you for the essay. Tbh I'm finding it quite hard to find off-spec stuff too :s-smilie:
Anyone want to hazard a guess what the essay will be on?
Original post by HyruleTenshi
I use CrashCourse on YouTube to revise and they often use examples of experiments and case studies in their videos which link to the topics. A lot of them are historical examples though (e.g. how concepts were first discovered) so I don't know how much credit it would give you for the essay. Tbh I'm finding it quite hard to find off-spec stuff too :s-smilie:

I recommend Neil Millars notes on the units, he goes into "extra" details on all of the topics, all of which will get you extra cred
Original post by bishopdon123
Anyone want to hazard a guess what the essay will be on?
I've a bad feeling it will be on feedback
Original post by mck9777
I've a bad feeling it will be on feedback

Last year's paper had such nice options for the essay :frown:
Original post by bishopdon123
Last year's paper had such nice options for the essay :frown:

I know, I would love an essay on CO2 but it's already come up I'm sure 😥

I'd also just like to add that calcium ions are still relevant here because after the muscle contraction they are actively transported back into the sarcoplasmic reticulum, which requires ATP, so im sure you can weave it in there somewhere :smile:
Reply 359
Any links to example synoptic essays would be helpful! Thankss

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending