The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8620
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, anyone here been to CBT therapy I start this week for ocd and panic attacks and general stress. Just wondered what to expect?

Think its different with different practitioners but for me it was about accepting being ill and thinking about it differently and trying to work out in advance when things are going south and what to do when it happens. There were a few written exercises too.

I don't know whether it helped that much. A couple of bits sometimes come back to me I suppose but I guess I didn't accept all of the advice cos I find it conflicting sometimes.
Original post by ManyMoonsAgo
um, hello! im new here but I need some advice x

Spoiler

This might be better in the relationship section not mental health section

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
I started CBT a few weeks ago mostly for anxiety but also depression. We spend a lot of time looking at things that trigger my anxiety and then work out more healthy, productive ways of viewing them. For instance, I've got something big coming up soon so rather than say "it's going to be horrible", she works with me on analyzing each component and fixing my black and white thought about it, which is pretty helpful for getting rid of the anxiety. I don't know if that makes sense....sorry!

Anti-depressants have differing effects on people but it is pretty common to experience sleep problems - either sleeping too much or insomnia - especially when just starting. If it gets too bad or doesn't seem to get better I'd advise going back to your doctor.

Thanks for the help hopefully it will work out for you :smile: I'm looking forward to starting CBT to be honest
Thanks for the help hopefully it will work out for you :smile: I'm looking forward to starting CBT to be honest

No worries and thanks :smile:

I think I've already gained from it, even though it's early days - just in how I challenge thoughts now that used to go unchallenged and it does help a lot.

However, last year I was seeing this other guy for CBT but we didn't really click and I didn't find him that helpful. I think it helps loads to have someone you can work with so I'd say if you find you don't click with him/her it's probably a good idea to ask to see someone else.

Hope it goes well for you.
Having bad images in my head again and can't get them tk stop.
Original post by Pathway
Having bad images in my head again and can't get them tk stop.

Have you tried watching a nice film or tv show hun? :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
Have you tried watching a nice film or tv show hun? :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dontbknoe im trying to watch youtube but keep hearing bad things . Dont knkw how to make it stop
Original post by PandaWho
This might be better in the relationship section not mental health section

Posted from TSR Mobile

me & my girlfriend both have mental health issues, sorry I meant to say before :s-smilie: but yeah, I thought maybe here people might be more friendly? :/
Original post by Pathway
Dontbknoe im trying to watch youtube but keep hearing bad things . Dont knkw how to make it stop

Oh chick :hugs: wish i could help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ManyMoonsAgo
me & my girlfriend both have mental health issues, sorry I meant to say before :s-smilie: but yeah, I thought maybe here people might be more friendly? :/

Were friendly, but not sure if wed be great on relationship advice!

My advice would be to sit down and talk with her, maybe say things are going too fast? Ultimately if you really dont see a future, then surely its best to end it and save both your hearts in the long run

Posted from TSR Mobile
I cut my own hair! I think it looks okay, the back is possibly a little patchy but I'll just say it's punk or something :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i need help
i need help

What's wrong?
Original post by Pathway
What's wrong?

I dont know. I miss someone and shes just broken away and i dont mean much to her anymore & its been 8months. I lost my younger brother 2years ago. everything just makes me emotional and cry all the time and im a guy
I dont know. I miss someone and shes just broken away and i dont mean much to her anymore & its been 8months. I lost my younger brother 2years ago. everything just makes me emotional and cry all the time and im a guy

Sometimes (unfortunately) people drift away from each other. :frown: Have you tried voicing your concerns with her? Sorry to hear about your brother. :console: Have you been to your GP? Counselling might be helpful for you, are you still in school? Crying is fine, you know, just because you're a guy, doesn't mean you're not allowed to cry. You're perfectly within your rights to cry. :hugs: Can PM me if you want.
Original post by SassQueen13

:console: What's going on?
Can't quote Pathway, sorry!

Feeling very triggered and low and having urges so at Nightline but not really helping :dontknow:
Something happened in my flat tonight and my friend is struggling and I can't help :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pathway
:console: What's going on?

See above, sorry quoting is a bit messed up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Empty. So done.

Latest