The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

I know everything about reducing oxidation redox ect but for the ox. States if the number goes down is it reduced and if number goes up its oxidised
Just want a way that would save me thinking time?
Original post by samwillettsxxx
I know everything about reducing oxidation redox ect but for the ox. States if the number goes down is it reduced and if number goes up its oxidised

Number is reduced, so species is reduced.
Number goes down, species is reduced(or goes down, so to speak)

So for oxidation numbers maybe just remember. Down, Down and Up, Up?

Idk I don't really have a mnemonic for that one to remember it by in any other way.

Try OILRIG! oxidation Is Loss Reduction Is Gain! Note, reduction doesn't mean go up though as gaining electrons which are negative pull you down however oxidation is where you give electrons up so positie
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by thymolphthalein
Number is reduced, so species is reduced.
Number goes down, species is reduced(or goes down, so to speak)

So for oxidation numbers maybe just remember. Down, Down and Up, Up?

Idk I don't really have a mnemonic for that one to remember it by in any other way.

Thanks so if it was 0 to -4 it's reduced
-5 to say 2 is oxidised?
Original post by Bhavika22
Try OILRIG! oxidation Is Loss Reduction Is Gain! Note, reduction doesn't mean go up though as gaining electrons which are negative pull you down however oxidation is where you give electrons up so positie

Yeah I do use oil rig I know all that I mean just so I can identify if it's reduced or oxidised quickly by realising if the ox state goes down it's reduced and if the ox state goes up its oxidised
Thank u anyway :smile:
Thanks so if it was 0 to -4 it's reduced
-5 to say 2 is oxidised?

Yes exactly. :smile:

I would have said OILRIG (oxidation is loss of electrons, reduction is gain of electrons), but that is more specifically for the loss of electrons.

When you lose electrons, the charge will be postive.
When you gain electrons, the charge will be negative.

But you could have something go from +3 to +5 as well and it is will oxidized, so you can't always depend on it increasing from a negative to postive.
Yes exactly. :smile:

I would have said OILRIG (oxidation is loss of electrons, reduction is gain of electrons), but that is more specifically for the loss of electrons.

When you lose electrons, the charge will be postive.
When you gain electrons, the charge will be negative.

But you could have something go from +3 to +5 as well and it is will oxidized, so you can't always depend on it increasing from a negative to postive.

Thank u for all the help :smile:
I was just wondering if I've named this correctly?

image.jpg
I was just wondering if I've named this correctly?

image.jpg

Yep.

:smile:
Yep.

:smile:

Thank u, I know so many questions I'm sorry but in elimination does the OH attack the hydrogen on the carbon to the left of the carbon attached to the halogen
Thank u, I know so many questions I'm sorry but in elimination does the OH attack the hydrogen on the carbon to the left of the carbon attached to the halogen

Wouldn't that be nucleophilic substituition, if it was a nucleophilic attack?

It would come from the side that the halogen is not on.

Elimination is when halogenoalkanes undergo a reaction with NaOH(or another alkali) to form an alkene, Sodium Halide and water.
Guys please help me, I can't seem to name any thing. I can't name one single thing, I find it so hard to find a pattern with how to name so and so and now I'm going over esterification and esters. Naming things has been a nightmare, people have explained but I still don't get it.
For naming esters, the way I do it is the is somthing-anoate is always the carboxylic acid with the something-anoic acid on the end because both the ends are weird. For the first part which is something-thyl, it will always be whatever else your reacting, for example, if you react propanoic acid and ethanol in the presence of an H2SO4 catalyst, the organic product will be ethyl (since ethanol is the other thing or alcohol) propanoate (because propanoic acid is the carboxylic acid).
I would just like to declare in advanced that I am utterly ****ed for my Chemistry exam this afternoon. Sigh, better start preparing for retakes next year :L
Wouldn't that be nucleophilic substituition, if it was a nucleophilic attack?

It would come from the side that the halogen is not on.

Elimination is when halogenoalkanes undergo a reaction with NaOH(or another alkali) to form an alkene, Sodium Halide and water.

I didn't mean attack I mean like this sorry can't explain..

image.jpg
when we purify aluminium why do we put ticl4 in an argon atmosphere?
Original post by ashiekh
when we purify aluminium why do we put ticl4 in an argon atmosphere?

To prevent side reactions I think

Edit: just checked to prevent side reactions with oxygen and nitrogen in air :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
To prevent side reactions I think

Edit: just checked to prevent side reactions with oxygen and nitrogen in air :smile:

thank youuu
I didn't mean attack I mean like this sorry can't explain..

image.jpg

Ah yeah, that is elimination. I think your arrows are correct, we were never taught to draw the mechanism for it.

But the equation is correct.
It would form an alkene and Water and Halide ion (from the salt I mentioned earlier)

If there are unsymmetrical haloalkanes, it can form isomeric alkenes because you can shift the double bond.
Ah yeah, that is elimination. I think your arrows are correct, we were never taught to draw the mechanism for it.

But the equation is correct.
It would form an alkene and Water and Halide ion (from the salt I mentioned earlier)

If there are unsymmetrical haloalkanes, it can form isomeric alkenes because you can shift the double bond.

I do AQA, maybe u do OCR or something that's why you don't have to draw it maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest