The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -inspired-
What about Newcastle? They want a high UKCAT score but i'm pretty sure they accept any degree and they don't look at A levels. Yeah I agree, it's definitely worth a try though! I did Biology A level so I'm going to sit AS Chemistry this year so that I can apply to Southampton and then my other two choices are Warwick and Newcastle. Fingers crossed for a high UKCAT score or I'll have to take another year out and do GAMSAT. Thanks, you too! Where are you thinking of applying?

I graduated 3 years ago so Newcastle want me to show evidence of recent study and they accept GAMSAT to satisfy that requirement. My other choices are Warwick, St Georges & Nottingham. I might switch one of those for Swansea but I'm not sure which yet. Best of luck with your application, as a fellow arts/humanities grad I'm rooting for you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I graduated 3 years ago so Newcastle want me to show evidence of recent study and they accept GAMSAT to satisfy that requirement. My other choices are Warwick, Newcastle & Nottingham. I might switch one of those for Swansea but I'm not sure which yet. Best of luck with your application, as a fellow arts/humanities grad I'm rooting for you!

Ah okay. Thanks, you too! :smile:
Reply 542
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Thanks very much for your reply. Do you mind if I PM you?

I totally understand why you'd rather not - I'm probably taking on too much!

Feel free, currently procrastinating on my dissertation so may as well procrastinate productively!
Reply 543
Hi! I wondered if you had any advice for applying to medicine during 3rd of my current degree? What is the process like and what is GMSAT like? How long do you prepare for the test and any tips with revising for it? Thank you :smile:
Reply 544
Original post by august7
Hi! I wondered if you had any advice for applying to medicine during 3rd of my current degree? What is the process like and what is GMSAT like? How long do you prepare for the test and any tips with revising for it? Thank you :smile:

GAMSAT guides:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/GAMSAT

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3022525

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 545
UCAS APPLY 2016 has gone live :eek:
Reply 546
I am currently a Psychology undergraduate - graduating this July. I think I will only apply to two UKCAT universities this year because I really want to get into Warwick! I am not too fussed about whether or not I get in for the 2016 entry but I wanted to see try the UKCAT this year first and possibly do the GAMSAT next year or do an A level in Chem/Biology to apply for Southampton. Has anyone here done A level Chem or Bio outside of college? If so, do you think its worthit?
Apologies if i have sent you this message, twice.

Hello! Which course did you study? What score did you get on your GAMSAT paper? What were your strategies for succeeding in the S.3/ Science section of the paper? What university will you attend? I wish you all the best and am grateful for your help.
Original post by sjla94
I am currently a Psychology undergraduate - graduating this July. I think I will only apply to two UKCAT universities this year because I really want to get into Warwick! I am not too fussed about whether or not I get in for the 2016 entry but I wanted to see try the UKCAT this year first and possibly do the GAMSAT next year or do an A level in Chem/Biology to apply for Southampton. Has anyone here done A level Chem or Bio outside of college? If so, do you think its worthit?

I'm sitting AS level chemistry this year so that I can apply to Southampton (otherwise I only have two choices for 2016 entry since I did a BA undergrad and will definitely need more time to brush up on my science for GAMSAT). With the new curriculum (for OCR at least) you need to sit a certain amount of practicals (for chemistry it's 12 for A2 and 6 for AS) in order to get the qualification so the choices are basically join an AS class, do it as an evening class if offered in your area, or do it via distance learning and travel in a few times during the year for assessments and exams (also, they've scrapped January exams). I have no idea whether or not it's worth it, Warwick is my first choice too, but brushing up on chemistry and increasing your chances can only be beneficial :smile:. It does cost £700-£750 each year though unless you can get funding.
Reply 549
Original post by Zorg
The Oxford grad course is dominated by PhD holders from what I hear. Both from people on the course and those that applied.

Ii was hopeful for 5 seconds.

Original post by -inspired-
Me too, I can only apply to three universities now unless I sit the GAMSAT but that would mean taking a year out to revise which I'd rather not do unless I have to :frown:

At present, I may only be able to apply to two unis- I don't want to do the GAMSAT.
Reply 550
Original post by sjla94

Same
Original post by Ebuwa
Same

I did it the year after I graduated (classics degree) specifically so that I could apply to 4 unis without doing the GAMSAT, so I think it was worth it. But then I would say that because I'm going to Southampton in September! To me, it seemed daft not to; GEM is already super competitive, so why lessen your chances by not using all your 4 choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JenniB22
I did it the year after I graduated (classics degree) specifically so that I could apply to 4 unis without doing the GAMSAT, so I think it was worth it. But then I would say that because I'm going to Southampton in September! To me, it seemed daft not to; GEM is already super competitive, so why lessen your chances by not using all your 4 choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But what about for 2016 entry arts grads? Those of us with arts degrees can only apply to 3 unis without having to sit the GAMSAT now that King's is taking science only grads. Doesn't seem worth it to take GAMSAT just to add one other option but at the same time I don't want to waste a perfectly good fourth choice. So difficult!
Original post by JenniB22

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you still need a high UKCAT for southampton with the A level in Chemistry. Honestly you're better off putting the time and money into the GAMSAT and opening up more universities incase you don't do well on the UKCAT.
Reply 554
Original post by B1525
UCAS APPLY 2016 has gone live :eek:

Just started mine, filling it in is strangely nostalgic.
Original post by liam__
Just started mine, filling it in is strangely nostalgic.

I'd forgotten how much I disliked the UCAS form.

Whilst filling it out I noticed that you can select 2016 entry or defer until 2017. I didn't know this was possible with Medicine?
Original post by converseallstars
But what about for 2016 entry arts grads? Those of us with arts degrees can only apply to 3 unis without having to sit the GAMSAT now that King's is taking science only grads. Doesn't seem worth it to take GAMSAT just to add one other option but at the same time I don't want to waste a perfectly good fourth choice. So difficult!

Sit the UKCAT early, then you'll know if you have a competitive enough score - then if not you have time to prep for GAMSAT, if you then need more options of places to apply to. I sat GAMSAT last year with 3 months prep, as an arts grad, and scored highly enough to get 2 out of 3 interviews from GAMSAT schools. Don't fear the gammo!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by buttoned.up
Sit the UKCAT early, then you'll know if you have a competitive enough score - then if not you have time to prep for GAMSAT, if you then need more options of places to apply to. I sat GAMSAT last year with 3 months prep, as an arts grad, and scored highly enough to get 2 out of 3 interviews from GAMSAT schools. Don't fear the gammo!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, that's my current plan! If UKCAT goes horribly wrong hopefully I won't have left GAMSAT prep too late. Well done on getting in! :five:
Original post by converseallstars
Yep, that's my current plan! If UKCAT goes horribly wrong hopefully I won't have left GAMSAT prep too late. Well done on getting in! :five:

You can always get started with a bit of casual GAMSAT prep before UKCAT, nothing too time-consuming but enough to mean that you've got things ticking over. VR prep will help with section 1, and QR with section 3, and vice-versa. I am a huge GAMSAT advocate haha, and I think for arts grads, GAMSAT really opens up options.
Thanks, I'm pretty chuffed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all. What is considered a competitive score in the UKCAT? I know it varies between unis but are there any benchmarks for what will be required for 2016 entry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending