The Student Room Group

AS Biology Edexcel IAL Unit 1 & 2 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Polpi
It was xylem because it has hollow and thick and also it had open ends

Anyone would do actually..
Both are correct bruhs
Original post by Sal296
what was the plant part in the photograph???

which question was that?I don't remember it :colondollar:
Reply 283
Original post by Kleanzee
Both are correct bruhs

So both xylem and sclerenchyma would be correct? I wrote down sclerenchyma and I'm worried...:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ~xSarahx~
So both xylem and sclerenchyma would be correct? I wrote down sclerenchyma and I'm worried...:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

well that's sclerenchyma! I don't see a point it being xylem!
Reply 285
Original post by Polpi
It was xylem because it has hollow and thick and also it had open ends

fibres are always sclerenchyma. The hollow image was to mislead. It's common sense... how small is a cell and how big was that hollow diameter!
Reply 286
Both are correct bruhs

I don't think so. Has to be sclerenchyma
Reply 287
Original post by Amir52
well that's sclerenchyma! I don't see a point it being xylem!

Thank goodness! I was so worried >.<
Original post by AvWOW
fibres are always sclerenchyma. The hollow image was to mislead. It's common sense... how small is a cell and how big was that hollow diameter!

Dude, they asked a tissue which consists of this. It can either be sclerenchyma or xylem. Both are hollow, your context of "sclerenchyma always being fibres", but it doesn't necessarily mean they're exclusive to sclerenchyma only. The hollow image wasn't a misled
Reply 289
Dude, they asked a tissue which consists of this. It can either be sclerenchyma or xylem. Both are hollow, your context of "sclerenchyma always being fibres", but it doesn't necessarily mean they're exclusive to sclerenchyma only. The hollow image wasn't a misled

Dunno. But the hollowness doesn't mean anything... So it was to mislead. And um... sclerenchyma isn't hollow right? just lignified...?
edit: I forgot.. It is hollow! sorryyyy :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AvWOW
Dunno. But the hollowness doesn't mean anything... So it was to mislead. And um... sclerenchyma isn't hollow right? just lignified...?

Actually they are, just their radius is smaller than xylem vessels. You don't remember seeing a bunch of little holes around the huge hollow cell?
Reply 291
Actually they are, just their radius is smaller than xylem vessels. You don't remember seeing a bunch of little holes around the huge hollow cell?

yup! just remembered :3 Thanks! so you have to write both or either? I guess either?
Xylem and Sclerenchyma are very similar in structure, It says in the AS textbook: 'some sclerenchyma forms fibres, very long cells often found in bundles or cylinders around the outside of a stem or root'

which is why I chose sclerenchyma, BUT I'm pretty sure both Xylem and Sclerenchyma are correct as they are so similar. :smile:
Original post by AvWOW
yup! just remembered :3 Thanks! so you have to write both or either? I guess either?

Xylem. I was confused as well, discussed with my mates. THey said either is correct
Reply 294
Xylem. I was confused as well, discussed with my mates. THey said either is correct

hmm... alrighty :3 cheers. I wrote sclerenchyma though so yeah..
Anaphase, cause it's the shortest phase as shown in pie chart. And the chromosomes just split really fast to observe

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay I wrote the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 296
what did u write for effect of mineral ions on flax plants?
Original post by Rulezz
what did u write for effect of mineral ions on flax plants?

I don't remember :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unit 2 has stupid plant questions which I hate the most, paper 1 is easier
Original post by AJC1997
Xylem and Sclerenchyma are very similar in structure, It says in the AS textbook: 'some sclerenchyma forms fibres, very long cells often found in bundles or cylinders around the outside of a stem or root'

which is why I chose sclerenchyma, BUT I'm pretty sure both Xylem and Sclerenchyma are correct as they are so similar. :smile:

\they are both correct :smile: anyway, can we form a group for people taking bio IAL exam papers

Quick Reply