The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature LITA3: Love Through the Ages, 11 June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by helen.e
I'm stressing out over this and I feel like it's ruined my grade- my teacher sent off my coursework before it was ready and it didn't have footnotes or enough quotes in my opinion. What is the percentage of overall grade for the A2 coursework? How much would the grade from the exam help ?

Coursework is worth 40% overall. The exam is worth 60%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just out of curiosity, does anyone conclude their essay answers? I never do and still manage to get a good grade, but I was wondering if anyone says anything specific in their conclusion to tie the essay up. If you do conclude, could you give me a few tips/ideas of what to include.

Thank you in advance x
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alice_bradley2
Just out of curiosity, does anyone conclude their essay answers? I never do and still manage to get a good grade, but I was wondering if anyone says anything specific in their conclusion to tie the essay up. If you do conclude, could you give me a few tips/ideas of what to include.

Thank you in advance x

I never have time to conclude and I get reasonably good marks in my essays. I think I might in the exam but nothing more than a sentence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by alice_bradley2

Thank you in advance x

My teacher told me that its best to conclude because it can be off-putting to the examiner that an A-level student isn't using proper essay structure. Even if its something really generic it still shows you have rounded your argument and most importantly that you've finished
Can I gauge confidence? How are you guys feeling about this exam?
Reply 25
feeling pretty good about the exam, only issue is I'm worried I won't be able to remember all my wider reading quotes properly in time or that I'll forget them in the actual exam :s-smilie: - otherwise with my general analysis and structure of essays etc I'm okay so fingers crossed it all works out haha. good luck everyone!
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm least confident for my English.
How many quotes have people got? I've got about 20 for Drama, Poetry and Prose respectively but I don't feel that that is enough.
How have you guys gone about structuring your quotes??
Reply 27
Original post by haycockdoug
How many quotes have people got? I've got about 20 for Drama, Poetry and Prose respectively but I don't feel that that is enough.

That is easily enough but can you remember all of them? It's best to have a few wider reading links that you know a lot about e.g. the texts you covered in class so you can apply them to a wide range of situations. I have a lot of Great Gatsby, Othello and Mrs Dalloway and some stuff on Larkin but need a fair few other texts really :P

20 each? That should be more than enough; some exemplars just reference wider reading without even adding quotes.
How many quotes do you use for each question?
Original post by LiamG
That is easily enough but can you remember all of them? It's best to have a few wider reading links that you know a lot about e.g. the texts you covered in class so you can apply them to a wide range of situations. I have a lot of Great Gatsby, Othello and Mrs Dalloway and some stuff on Larkin but need a fair few other texts really :P

Well I've got a few texts that I've got a lot of quotes for e.g The Winter's Tale, Romeo and Juliet, Sons and Lovers, Lady Chatterley's Lover to name a few. Then the rest are like accessory quotes.
I think I'll take your advice and concentrate on a few texts :smile:
Original post by FKA Stiglitz
20 each? That should be more than enough; some exemplars just reference wider reading without even adding quotes.
How many quotes do you use for each question?

For each paragraph I'll link to a large quote and then link that to other parts of the same book with 1 or 2 other quotes to enhance the point.
What do you think? Is it worth me adding in those extra quotes?
I am so nervous for this exam! My teacher has told us that we should really just concentrate on one novel, one play and then a handful of poems for WR. Also she received an email from the chief examiner and she asked him how much WR should be included in the essay and he said a good solid half page for smaller writing should do. Is anyone else following this kind of structure? We have been told we need to show we know the wider reading text very well from start to finish rather than just dipping in.
For each paragraph I'll link to a large quote and then link that to other parts of the same book with 1 or 2 other quotes to enhance the point.
What do you think? Is it worth me adding in those extra quotes?

I just feel that it would take a lot of time doing that, and given that the other AOs are weighted the same you could be better off adding contextual links or perhaps detailed analysis of the unseen texts; but if that technique has worked before, then you should pursue it.
Original post by marycarmen77
I am so nervous for this exam! My teacher has told us that we should really just concentrate on one novel, one play and then a handful of poems for WR. Also she received an email from the chief examiner and she asked him how much WR should be included in the essay and he said a good solid half page for smaller writing should do. Is anyone else following this kind of structure? We have been told we need to show we know the wider reading text very well from start to finish rather than just dipping in.

I share your nervousness I assure you; I have some go-to texts (a handful of plays, novels and poems) and another set of texts that I have some knowledge of - but I need to look over them again.
There's a full-mark exemplar I've seen that doesn't use any quotes but references wider reading... don't know what to make of it.
I just feel that it would take a lot of time doing that, and given that the other AOs are weighted the same you could be better off adding contextual links or perhaps detailed analysis of the unseen texts; but if that technique has worked before, then you should pursue it.

I can see your point, I was told 60% of your analysis should be on the unseen texts. The rest should be context, WR etc. I'll do a past paper trying to limit my WR and see if I do better in terms of timing!
Thanks for the help :smile:
wow that sounds heavenly not having to include WR quotes, I'd feel fine if I could just talk about other texts without exact quotes! Do you know of any way I could access examplar answers like that?
I share your nervousness I assure you; I have some go-to texts (a handful of plays, novels and poems) and another set of texts that I have some knowledge of - but I need to look over them again.
There's a full-mark exemplar I've seen that doesn't use any quotes but references wider reading... don't know what to make of it.

wow that sounds heavenly not having to include WR quotes, I'd feel fine if I could just talk about other texts without exact quotes! Do you know of any way I could access examplar answers like that?
Original post by marycarmen77

It was almost too good to be true, but I think I'll keep to quotes in case tbh! I think there was a thread on here with pictures of exemplars but I can't find it atm, I'll look for it. :smile:
Can anyone help me?Does anybody have any general critical comments to include? and how do we include them in the essays?and what are the main points you focus on within F,S,L?
My teacher has put a lot of emphasis on time periods and how they influence love through the ages! Does anyone have any advice on time periods and revising that?

Also, is it just me, but i feel like there's not enough time to plan!! How do you guys go about planning your essays? Like what do you do and write in your plans?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending