The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Language A: Model Answers

I'm having difficulty finding anything for A over the internet.
More specifically I'm looking for model answers to the mode question, though anything will help. Feel free to post some or use any posted, discuss, etc.
From my teacher I have some model answers (child language p1 and p2 essay for theory and the other one, but no mode.)

Good luck with exams everyone. :h: :sad:

For some reason TSR flipped the photos. Sorry for the neck exercises ? ?

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Is anyone doing A?
I can post some this week if you want me to? I got a B overall in this exam but I was 2 marks off an A. So I can help you out? And since then, I did A2 and have studied a Lang/Linguistic module at uni this year. So if you're stuck, I'll be happy to help you? :smile:
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I can post some this week if you want me to? I got a B overall in this exam but I was 2 marks off an A. So I can help you out? And since then, I did A2 and have studied a Lang/Linguistic module at uni this year. So if you're stuck, I'll be happy to help you? :smile:

Wow, that would be great thank you so much. :smile: I'm more looking for exam technique tips and thought looking at model answers would help me get a stronger structure for the essay (as well as the differences between theory questions and general child language questions), so anything will help. There's no urgency, so post whenever you feel free, bro. Thanks :h:
Original post by Deathinmycoffee
Wow, that would be great thank you so much. :smile: I'm more looking for exam technique tips and thought looking at model answers would help me get a stronger structure for the essay (as well as the differences between theory questions and general child language questions), so anything will help. There's no urgency, so post whenever you feel free, bro. Thanks :h:

Do you want Section A answers? Is that what you're looking for? I'll get to it on Thursday :smile:.

OK, I'll upload a Section B question for you too. I do not understand what you mean about "theory questions and general child language questions". Could you give an example?
Do you want Section A answers? Is that what you're looking for? I'll get to it on Thursday :smile:.

OK, I'll upload a Section B question for you too. I do not understand what you mean about "theory questions and general child language questions". Could you give an example?

Yeah, section A, thanks again. :smile:
Just the essay question for the second part. For example, "To what extent does the acquisition of language depend on children's interaction with the people and things around them?" as a theory question, and "Discuss the ways children develop their grammar" as a general one. Maybe that's just my English teacher being weird. :h:
Yeah, section A, thanks again. :smile:
Just the essay question for the second part. For example, "To what extent does the acquisition of language depend on children's interaction with the people and things around them?" as a theory question, and "Discuss the ways children develop their grammar" as a general one. Maybe that's just my English teacher being weird. :h:

Grammar isn't a general one? Is that based on children's written acquisition? I forget if there's 2 questions u can choose from on Sec B?

I'll see which ones I did as practice in my books and I'll let you know. I've got an essay on the written acquisition if you do that?
Grammar isn't a general one? Is that based on children's written acquisition? I forget if there's 2 questions u can choose from on Sec B?

I'll see which ones I did as practice in my books and I'll let you know. I've got an essay on the written acquisition if you do that?

Oh sorry, we only studied one part looking at the paper now. It's the one that isn't about writing, so if you have anything that's about spoken language acquisition, that would be helpful for me. Posting your written acquisition one may help someone else though (if anyone is in this thread :colondollar:).
I'd love any answers anyone has too, for both writing and speaking? I'm finding it so hard to revise them right now :s-smilie:
My laptop as broken :frown:. Ill do my best to try and get it fixed before ur exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone still here? :wink:
How's revision going, feeling prepared?
I'm pretty much screwed in terms of time management and essay technique but that can be crammed, right?
How did everyone find the exam?
Original post by MissLegla

The child language questions were pretty nice I thought, although I couldn't find that much in the 10 marker. :tongue: I just hope I got the mode right with the exam technique and stuff. Finishing is probably my biggest achievement here though.
You? :h:
I thinked the child language question too. Overall I prefered that section of the exam. I couldnt find a lot to say about text B, the money savings expert text
I thinked the child language question too. Overall I prefered that section of the exam. I couldnt find a lot to say about text B, the money savings expert text

Same no same yeah
I just put how they covered the topic of donation differently, like how the action aid one was all about giving generously while the other was how to save money when giving to charity or something. Weird how they were both blended, huh? :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, i didnt really understand how the second text persuaded

I thought it was okay in the end, I did writing over speaking because that's the stuff I revised more, though the wording of the question was a bit weird to me.

We'd done a forum type question in class so I thought that one as okay to be honest. I don't know how they necessarily persuaded though, but I tried to talk a lot about how it informed instead to try and balance it out. I ran out of time so I didn't get to put everything I wanted, but I'd covered all the basics I think so that's okay.
Same no same yeah
I just put how they covered the topic of donation differently, like how the action aid one was all about giving generously while the other was how to save money when giving to charity or something. Weird how they were both blended, huh? :tongue:

Text A was classed as blended too? I didn't even know that, oops. I thought it was only the forum because it was informal and used text language and stuff.
I think i just pefered text A to text B, it was much more interesting and i could pick out more techniques. Glad you think it went okay :smile:
Agree with post above ^

Original post by wickedisgood
Text A was classed as blended too? I didn't even know that, oops. I thought it was only the forum because it was informal and used text language and stuff.

Well, our teacher always said anything 'electronic' was blended, but it was strange how they were both blended. Maybe you'd be right in classifying it as written since it was definitely more on that side (like, transactional over interactional, formal, etc). Stuff like hyperlinks, contact forms made it have some interactional qualities though, plus, there were some minor sentences and elision that I thought made it slightly less standard/formal.
I just now realised that I forgot to include anything about how it informed or persuaded. rip in peas me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending