The Student Room Group

English Language lose marks

Hi,
I have accidentally wrote "omg" on question 5 of my English exam today. The question was to write a blog however I wasn't thinking straight so I wrote that. Will I lose marks?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Xzreplay
Hi,
I have accidentally wrote "omg" on question 5 of my English exam today. The question was to write a blog however I wasn't thinking straight so I wrote that. Will I lose marks?

Thanks.

In my opinion, I highly doubt it, you can't lose marks for one word. Seriously, don't stress about it :smile:
i don't think you'll lose marks. you might even gain some if you used it in a context where you were engaging with the audience
Reply 3
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
i don't think you'll lose marks. you might even gain some if you used it in a context where you were engaging with the audience

How will I gain marks, should I not lose it since that is a slang word?
Reply 4
if it was in quotation marks you won't lose any - as in if a character was speaking
Reply 5
Original post by gomc
if it was in quotation marks you won't lose any - as in if a character was speaking

Yes, I did put it in a quotation mark, are you sure I will not lose any marks? because my teacher told me that you will lose marks for using any type of slang in the exam.

If your audience is teenagers on a blog and you are trying to connect with them then you would
Reply 7
Original post by b.l
In my opinion, I highly doubt it, you can't lose marks for one word. Seriously, don't stress about it :smile:

I mean, examiners are very strict these days so any little mistake they see they will use it against you.
Reply 8
If your audience is teenagers on a blog and you are trying to connect with them then you would

The question did not say anything about teenagers however it said to "write a blog on a memorable experience which affected you in some way" so i dont know who the audience really were. Will that make a difference?
The question did not say anything about teenagers however it said to "write a blog on a memorable experience which affected you in some way" so i dont know who the audience really were. Will that make a difference?

it depends on the experience and whether or not the blog is formal or informal as they tend to be quite modern and informal nowadays
Reply 10
Original post by NK_26
Q5 was to write for a blog. Light slang will get you marks because that's how blogs are normally written, don't worry about it I used slang too!

Did you do the exam today? so you think i would not lose marks instead i will gain it for using "omg"?
Reply 11
it depends on the experience and whether or not the blog is formal or informal as they tend to be quite modern and informal nowadays

Also Q1 & 2 was about child labour and q6 was about "young people in wealthy countries getting everything too easily" so would that mean that the blog was targeted to young people?
Reply 12
Did you do the exam today? so you think i would not lose marks instead i will gain it for using "omg"?

Well you wouldn't gain marks just for one word, but examiners will like how you actually wrote in the style of a blog and give you higher marks for content. Not sure about SPAG though.
Reply 13
Original post by NK_26
Well you wouldn't gain marks just for one word, but examiners will like how you actually wrote in the style of a blog and give you higher marks for content. Not sure about SPAG though.

So you are saying it wasn't a bad idea to use slang? I was so worried I will lose marks because of that.
Reply 14
So you are saying it wasn't a bad idea to use slang? I was so worried I will lose marks because of that.

Nope, I used it too.
Reply 15
I mean, examiners are very strict these days so any little mistake they see they will use it against you.

Just think positively, I'm sure it went really well! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by NK_26
Nope, I used it too.

when did you do the exam?
Reply 17
when did you do the exam?

Today, but I've used slang in my mock and got an A*. I've also seen it in exam scripts which get A*'s too.
Reply 18
Original post by NK_26
Today, but I've used slang in my mock and got an A*. I've also seen it in exam scripts which get A*'s too.

Did you put slang in writing section (q5/6)? Since if you put it on the reading section it would not be counted since they don't look at slang or SPAG. Also what type of slang words did you use?
Reply 19
Btw for q4 do we have to compare language features that are used in both texts? Or can we use two completely different language features and compare their effects?

I couldn't find any similar devices so I only had one paragraph which compared a device used by both sources. The next 3 were paragraphs that only explained the effects of the language device of a single source. Will that get me atleast 8/16?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending