The Student Room Group

Edexcel igcse English Language B

Is anyone else doing this 3 hour exam on June 10th? I don't know anyone who is doing this version, most people seem to be doing it straight from Cambridge (which is what i did last year - I'm re sitting for a B grade goal).

Just wondering if anyone else is doing it so many we could help each other out on things and revision and such else

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
I'm Doing it x_x
Many people on my side of the world are doing it. Teachers say English B is Easier than English A, and that the reason we are doing it is because the certificate for doing any one of them is the same and that they each carry the same academic credit xD
Reply 3
Original post by Jithvan
I'm Doing it x_x
Many people on my side of the world are doing it. Teachers say English B is Easier than English A, and that the reason we are doing it is because the certificate for doing any one of them is the same and that they each carry the same academic credit xD

I didn't know that and I'm doing this exam for the second time! I really don't know what the exam is going to be like no matter how many past papers I do. I checked the grade boundaries as well the other day and they are quite reasonable but still a little high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by holly1798
I didn't know that and I'm doing this exam for the second time! I really don't know what the exam is going to be like no matter how many past papers I do. I checked the grade boundaries as well the other day and they are quite reasonable but still a little high.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Study the Mark Schemes, and adapt your answers based on the audience.
The best thing to do right now is read the mark-schemes and create a plan containing the structure of your answer for each question.
Reply 5
Original post by Jithvan
Study the Mark Schemes, and adapt your answers based on the audience.
The best thing to do right now is read the mark-schemes and create a plan containing the structure of your answer for each question.

when you say mark schemes do you mean old ones from a few years ago? they are just available on the website right?
Reply 6
when you say mark schemes do you mean old ones from a few years ago? they are just available on the website right?

yep :smile:
does nayone know what came up in section b in January 2015, was it a speech?????
Reply 8
Original post by popeye123
does nayone know what came up in section b in January 2015, was it a speech?????

I haven't got a clue! The only bits I've seen is the ones that are on the website,I'm having to teach myself most of it because I am re sitting a lot of year 11 exams as an external candidate
Reply 9
Has anyone been given predictions for any of the questions yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
10 days till the exam and I'm so not ready for it still
Reply 11
We can never be ready xD
Reply 12
Does anyone have any tips for the second B part of the exam?

I have the section A covered to a T at this point but I'm so worried about section B wit it carrying so many marks and I need to try and get a B in the exam for my course I want to do and such else.
Does anyone have any tips for the second B part of the exam?

I have the section A covered to a T at this point but I'm so worried about section B wit it carrying so many marks and I need to try and get a B in the exam for my course I want to do and such else.

just remember to get as many relevant points for section b to cover the three bullet points - plan it. Then adapt appropriate tone depending on the audience and purpose.
section c - be v careful about grammar /sentence construction and spelling.
Reply 14
Original post by popeye123
just remember to get as many relevant points for section b to cover the three bullet points - plan it. Then adapt appropriate tone depending on the audience and purpose.
section c - be v careful about grammar /sentence construction and spelling.

I know that spelling is the thing that is going to let me down in section C :frown:
I've been putting revising and doing section C style question these past months so I should probably be stressing over that more than section B.

Which option would you say would be better for C? They seem to always do like a writing prompt one (give you the tittle and then you write), going over the texts and then a third option.

I'm trying to aim for around the 66 or so marks judging by old mark schemes and such. :smile:
OMG guys finally found some people doing this!
10 days till the exam and I'm so not ready for it still

How are you revising? :smile: So glad to finally find people I can discuss the exam with!
Reply 17
Original post by helloitsmee
How are you revising? :smile: So glad to finally find people I can discuss the exam with!

Same here!

I've just been on the Edexcel website and I've done all the past papers up till 2012 and that has helped a lot with revising section A for the reading. Then I've looked at all the mark schemes, focused on the ones from the past two years in both the January and June versions and worked out the best way to tackle the questions judeged on how many marks are available. Such as for the section B question there are 20 marks for AO2, so I study the mark scheme for that to work out a kind of checklist of things I need to cover in my answer in the exam.

I haven't started revising section C yet :smile:
Reply 18
hey guys, im doing it tooooo, its such a hard exam! if we get letters in section B - which im praying we dont, i hope we only get an article cause theyre so easy - do we need to write the whole format? like the addresses and everything? im so worried i need an A* in this exammmm
Reply 19
Hey guys, I need help with my final essay.
And this is the question what I'm going to write about.
Explain how tectonic processes and gradational processes interact to great earths landforms ?.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending