The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2340
Original post by AR_95
what sort of theory do you think is likely to come up about SHM?

Are we expected to derive the equations in the written paper for SHM

You don't need to derive equations.

Theory could explain energy transfer, phase differences, resonance, effects of damping on oscillations etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
You don't need to derive equations.

Theory could explain energy transfer, phase differences, resonance, effects of damping on oscillations etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, so glad we don't have to derive them.

I'm confident with energy transfer, resonance, and the effects of damping, but the idea of "phase difference" has always been one of my weaknesses in maths and now physics. I've never been able to get my head around it :redface:

If another question comes up about 2 oscillating objects with a difference of e.g 0.1s, I'm just gonna attempt to multiply the difference by the smaller time etc and that's when they're next in phase right. Hope that will work lmao
Reply 2342
Original post by AR_95
Ah, so glad we don't have to derive them.

I'm confident with energy transfer, resonance, and the effects of damping, but the idea of "phase difference" has always been one of my weaknesses in maths and now physics. I've never been able to get my head around it :redface:

If another question comes up about 2 oscillating objects with a difference of e.g 0.1s, I'm just gonna attempt to multiply the difference by the smaller time etc and that's when they're next in phase right. Hope that will work lmao

Erm, you'd divide the difference by the smaller period.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Erm, you'd divide the difference by the smaller period.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are we supposed to know an equation for phase difference?
Reply 2344
Original post by 000alex
Are we supposed to know an equation for phase difference?

Nope. Just that phase differences can vary sinusoidally so two oscillators can be anywhere between 0 and 2π2 \pi radians out of phase.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2345
Thank you so much!
Reply 2346
Original post by Mai.H
Thank you so much!

No worries - hope that helps clear it up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you guys think about only doing the packs of questions for the old spec PHYA4 unit and maybe only 1 or 2 current spec papers?
Reply 2348
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
What do you guys think about only doing the packs of questions for the old spec PHYA4 unit and maybe only 1 or 2 current spec papers?

I'd say it's best to do it the other way around really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I'd say it's best to do it the other way around really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't doing the packs strengthen your understanding in each sub-topic so then you could tackle a real paper much easier?
Reply 2350
Wouldn't doing the packs strengthen your understanding in each sub-topic so then you could tackle a real paper much easier?

Whatever seems best for you then - I'd just definitely get used to the latest style of questions if I were you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Half of doing papers at A level is knowing the format of the papers and understanding what will actually get you the marks. So yes, doing harder things to improve your understanding will help, but only if you also do enough actual papers to know what they want.
Original post by CD223
Whatever seems best for you then - I'd just definitely get used to the latest style of questions if I were you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Lau14
Half of doing papers at A level is knowing the format of the papers and understanding what will actually get you the marks. So yes, doing harder things to improve your understanding will help, but only if you also do enough actual papers to know what they want.

I'll try to incorporate both techniques then.

Thanks!
Reply 2353
How much detail are we expected to know for the derivation of the acceleration of SHM?

Do we need to know to compare (2πf)2(2 \pi f)^2 to km- \frac{k}{m} and gl- \frac{g}{l} for masses on springs and simple pendulums?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say do both, do them in order and you will rattle though them in no time. I think you could do 01-09 in a day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
How much detail are we expected to know for the derivation of the acceleration of SHM?

Do we need to know to compare (2πf)2(2 \pi f)^2 to km- \frac{k}{m} and gl- \frac{g}{l} for masses on springs and simple pendulums?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't know if this is linked, but In the old spec there are quite a few questions linking shm of a pendulum to the grav constant on earth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2356
Original post by gcsestuff
Don't know if this is linked, but In the old spec there are quite a few questions linking shm of a pendulum to the grav constant on earth

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the period of the pendulum depends on g - is this what you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There seems to be some synoptic units that are not on the web. If you haven't access to them i can upload them on here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2358
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
There seems to be some synoptic units that are not on the web. If you haven't access to them i can upload them on here

How do you mean, sorry? Anything that might help is welcome on the thread!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
How do you mean, sorry? Anything that might help is welcome on the thread!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, because i wasn't sure if you have access to them as they are not available on the AQA website. In don't have access to a PC right now but i will upload them tomorrow right after I've finished my exam :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending