The Student Room Group

EY School Leaver Programme 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by edwah011
Thank you to everyone who has replied to this thread, was a great help for me throughout the process and would not have been able to succeed and obtain an offer without your help! I have just been given a place in Tax in London. It is probably very late in the process now and likely not many people left still going through the stages, however if anyone is and wants to ask me anything then feel free to fire away!

I have a question for anybody else who has already had an offer, or is already on the programme. In one of the forms you have to fill in it asks you whether you want a standard notebook PC or a 'subnotebook'. The only description it gives of it is that it is smaller and lighter than the standard, but how much so? If it is say 13.3" rather than standard 15.4" then I would choose sub but I don't want to choose it and then turn up to find I've got a tiny little 10" netbook type thing!

Thanks again for all your posts!:smile:

Call the recruitment helpline they may be able to answer your query on laptops
Original post by hopefullgraduate
Call the recruitment helpline they may be able to answer your query on laptops

I thought about it but realised what the laptop is like is neither here nor there, just hope it's not a huge lump to have to carry on the train to London every day!
Having enough trouble with student recruitment trying to recover my expenses, last thing I heard my claims had gone missing and now the guy who was dealing with it is on holiday!
Reply 102
Hey does anyone know how strict these school leaver schemes are in terms of UCAS points?
Unis generally accept you even if you miss by a grade I'm just wondering if school leaver programmes are the same?
I'm quite stressed out over my exams and my requirement is 280 points and wondering if I got 260 for example the company would still take me?
Original post by 212575
Hey does anyone know how strict these school leaver schemes are in terms of UCAS points?
Unis generally accept you even if you miss by a grade I'm just wondering if school leaver programmes are the same?
I'm quite stressed out over my exams and my requirement is 280 points and wondering if I got 260 for example the company would still take me?

I was actually quite worried about this as well although the academic requirements for the EY school leaver programme for me is 300 ucas points? Anyways I mentioned it on the phone to someone from student recruitment and they said anything above at least 180 ucas points is fine but "it would be quite hard to argue your side if you were to achieve any less than that."
But, besides that I do think they would take into consideration anything that may have affect your exams such as death of a family member or illness.
Hope that helps😊
Original post by miss-a-l
I was actually quite worried about this as well although the academic requirements for the EY school leaver programme for me is 300 ucas points? Anyways I mentioned it on the phone to someone from student recruitment and they said anything above at least 180 ucas points is fine but "it would be quite hard to argue your side if you were to achieve any less than that."
But, besides that I do think they would take into consideration anything that may have affect your exams such as death of a family member or illness.
Hope that helps😊

Really as low as 180 points?! Is that with mitigating circumstances that affect your performance?

Do you expect they will be lenient if we got 280 instead of 300 (basically dropped one grade) but without mitigating circumstances?

In any case this is reassuring news, have been worrying so much at the moment about what I'm going to do if I miss the cut!
Really as low as 180 points?! Is that with mitigating circumstances that affect your performance?

Do you expect they will be lenient if we got 280 instead of 300 (basically dropped one grade) but without mitigating circumstances?

In any case this is reassuring news, have been worrying so much at the moment about what I'm going to do if I miss the cut!

Apologies!! I meant 280 Ucas points not 180! Exactly the same for me, thinking that I won't be able to do the programmes as my exam results won't cut it! But I hink surely if you've passed the psychometric tests you're up to the intelligence needed but I also think the exam results prove your hard work which is needed for working towards the ACA 😊
Apologies!! I meant 280 Ucas points not 180! Exactly the same for me, thinking that I won't be able to do the programmes as my exam results won't cut it! But I hink surely if you've passed the psychometric tests you're up to the intelligence needed but I also think the exam results prove your hard work which is needed for working towards the ACA 😊

Ahh that makes more sense! That was my thinking, surely every hoop they made us jump through in the recruitment process is a better representation of our competence for the role rather than exam grades!!
but true about the qualification we have to do, a bad performance in a-levels wouldn't be a good sign for those exams as I have heard the exams are harder than a lot of uni exams 😬
Ahh that makes more sense! That was my thinking, surely every hoop they made us jump through in the recruitment process is a better representation of our competence for the role rather than exam grades!!
but true about the qualification we have to do, a bad performance in a-levels wouldn't be a good sign for those exams as I have heard the exams are harder than a lot of uni exams 😬

Yeah, I've heard that uni exams test your brain more whereas the ACA tests your memory and your time more.
Yeah, I've heard that uni exams test your brain more whereas the ACA tests your memory and your time more.

Yeah that sounds about right! Which office/service line have you got an offer for?😊
Hi Brighon8,
Best of luck for you. How you managed your GPA? Did you contact EY? please let us know.

Thank you for sharing
Haven't actually gotten an offer yet but have had my partner interview, an assurance FSO in Edinburgh, you? ☺️

ahh right well fingers crossed then! Tax in London :smile:
ahh right well fingers crossed then! Tax in London :smile:

Unfortunately I won't be joining any of you this year for the school leaver programme after falling at the final hurdle my partner interview, absolutely distraught for having made it this far and invested a lot of my time and effort and just giving the response of no. The partner felt that I was the perfect candidate for the programme but that I would benefit from another year at school. Just wanting to know in what way your final interview was conducted? Mine was a relaxed chat which actually consisted of talking a lot about his daughter who wanted to become a doctor😒 cannot explain how upset I am, and if I want this chance I'll have to repeat the process all over again, coming from a particularly disadvantaged background I feel this was my big shot and I have been robbed of it😓
Unfortunately I won't be joining any of you this year for the school leaver programme after falling at the final hurdle my partner interview, absolutely distraught for having made it this far and invested a lot of my time and effort and just giving the response of no. The partner felt that I was the perfect candidate for the programme but that I would benefit from another year at school. Just wanting to know in what way your final interview was conducted? Mine was a relaxed chat which actually consisted of talking a lot about his daughter who wanted to become a doctor😒 cannot explain how upset I am, and if I want this chance I'll have to repeat the process all over again, coming from a particularly disadvantaged background I feel this was my big shot and I have been robbed of it😓

I'm so sorry to hear that!! That is such a shame and I can only imagine how upsetting it must be 😔 mine was also relaxed, however it was talking about me and my friends and family etc, the fact that they would talk about their own family seems a bit strange and unprofessional? Maybe try calling up student recruitment and asking for some more explicit feedback, I believe the final desicison comes down to an aggregated consideration of your performance over the whole process, so it's possible that you can pass every stage but not make the cut in the end if that makes sense? But I would definitely make an inquiry about feedback and the way they conducted themselves as by the sounds of it he didn't give you much of a chance to demonstrate how well suited you are to the role. I know exactly how you feel about the disadvantaged part, I only applied to this in the first place as the cost of going to uni would be too much of a burden for my family!
All I can say is get any feedback possible and if this is what you want to do then work hard at it and reapply for the next cycle! They keep everything on record so if the only reason was the benefit of an extra year of school then you should find you sail through the next time :smile:
Guys!! I'm on the first page of the application and have already been tripped up by the question on date of availability!

"Please specify your earliest date of availability."

May sound a bit stupid,, but what does this mean?? Is this when will I start the job? or when I am ready for tests and interviews?!

Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by lionelmessi19
Guys!! I'm on the first page of the application and have already been tripped up by the question on date of availability!

"Please specify your earliest date of availability."

May sound a bit stupid,, but what does this mean?? Is this when will I start the job? or when I am ready for tests and interviews?!

Thank you! :biggrin:

I would just put it down as anytime between now and September, they organise the interviews around you if you are busy at the time they want and for this the start date is always in September :smile: I think the question is just in the application as its a generic application form so would be used for normal jobs as well as school leaver, I don't think it means anything for the school leaver programme but as long as you put your start date down as some time before September you shouldn't have any problems! I think I put mine as the day after results day
I would just put it down as anytime between now and September, they organise the interviews around you if you are busy at the time they want and for this the start date is always in September :smile: I think the question is just in the application as its a generic application form so would be used for normal jobs as well as school leaver, I don't think it means anything for the school leaver programme but as long as you put your start date down as some time before September you shouldn't have any problems! I think I put mine as the day after results day

Thanks for your reply! I'll probably do the same as you! 14th August :biggrin:
How's your application going? What stage are you at??
Thanks for your reply! I'll probably do the same as you! 14th August :biggrin:
How's your application going? What stage are you at??

No problem! I have finished the process, signed my contract and all set to start on 7th september :smile: can't wait!!
No problem! I have finished the process, signed my contract and all set to start on 7th september :smile: can't wait!!

Omg! Awesome!!!
How did you find the process? Tough? Any good tips?

I'm on the 2nd part of the form, on the education section..
Its a bit strange because they don't have an option for Alevels!? What did you put on that section??
Omg! Awesome!!!
How did you find the process? Tough? Any good tips?

I'm on the 2nd part of the form, on the education section..
Its a bit strange because they don't have an option for Alevels!? What did you put on that section??

It is tough but manageable if you read up everything that's online, particularly on here and on wikijobs I think it's called where people write about their experiences during the process and give tips what to do :smile:

I think you will find that when you go through it it asks for grade point average first (the American system) so just leave that and then a couple of pages later it should have about A levels
It is tough but manageable if you read up everything that's online, particularly on here and on wikijobs I think it's called where people write about their experiences during the process and give tips what to do :smile:

I think you will find that when you go through it it asks for grade point average first (the American system) so just leave that and then a couple of pages later it should have about A levels

Hahaha I see!! I'll have a read through everything online then :wink:

Ahh ok I get you! I got a bit confused because it said you must specify at least one for education..
Bit stupid how they don't explain this clearly on the form :/

Thanks for your help!!
PRSOM :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending