The Student Room Group

OCR Computing A451 3rd June 2015

I have my Computing exam tomorrow. My teacher has done nothing to help me or my class.

Can anybody send me a PDF or notes for networks and databases?
Can I also have any ideas of what questions to expect?

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

You don't study in All Saint High right....?
Reply 2
Original post by OMG IS ME
You don't study in All Saint High right....?

No, I study at JHGS
Original post by AirKraft
No, I study at JHGS

Oh I was just wondering because my teacher don't put any effort of teaching us anything also and out course work well you know...
I highly recommend this playlist on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxSWH6hIO5k

It has all the topics needed and I feel 100x more confident for tomorrow now :smile:
Reply 6
I did the exam :frown:
I found it hard
Reply 7
I found the exam hard, I did not expect OP code and operand to come up and some 6 mark question I did not really understand what they ask from me. None of the Binary additions and Logic gate question came up.
Yeah ikr, also "failover" that came up and we haven't even been taught that and opcode and operand.
Seemed like half the stuff that came up we hadn't learnt. A lot harder than i expected.
Yup, same I probably think I got 30/80 which is like a D :/ however they may drop the grade boundaries so you never know I could potentially end up with a C.
Original post by ItsSectah
Yup, same I probably think I got 30/80 which is like a D :/ however they may drop the grade boundaries so you never know I could potentially end up with a C.

If a lot of people have done bad like they think they have they would drop the grade boundaries wouldn't they. I thimk should considering how hard it was.
Reply 12
So I wasn't the only one who didn't have a clue what opcode, operand and failover were... Didn't like those... Rest seemed okay? How did people feel about the final 6 mark question?
Won't lie that was the hardest exam I've done so far and I've had some major disasters lately.. just hoping the CAs and lowered grade boundaries will be enough
The exam was alright for me, I watched most of the videos from Computer Science Tutor on YouTube, I so knew what most of the stuff were. But seriously, why were there three six mark questions, last year there was only two! I would definitely say that this has been the hardest computing exam so far, I expect an A* to be close to high fifties.
BS. Opcode stuff no one had heard of and the stuff the algorithm was so hard as well as that weird binary time translation, I was expecting topolgies so that was a kick to the...
Mark scheme better be really low because that was incredibly difficult much harder than all the past papers I've been through.
Yeah this computing exam ****ed me over in all of the past papers I finished in around 40 minutes and never got below an A but I've never heard of operand or the other one and there was that question with the binary number and it asked how the CPU knows if its an instruction or data I had no idea and the algorithm was very hard I used like 7 pieces of paper doing it literally everyone I spoke to after struggled with it did anyone realise you had to subtract 6 if the new seat number was above 6 I worked that out but many people didn't. Also the question on failover I think you have to talk about back ups or something
Original post by NO_ob
Yeah this computing exam ****ed me over in all of the past papers I finished in around 40 minutes and never got below an A but I've never heard of operand or the other one and there was that question with the binary number and it asked how the CPU knows if its an instruction or data I had no idea and the algorithm was very hard I used like 7 pieces of paper doing it literally everyone I spoke to after struggled with it did anyone realise you had to subtract 6 if the new seat number was above 6 I worked that out but many people didn't. Also the question on failover I think you have to talk about back ups or something

With failover yes you had to mention back ups and the purpose of it etc.
before the exam I looked through the spec and it said you had to explain the term failover. Glad I memorised the definition 6 am in the morning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NO_ob

Crap, I subtracted 5, don't know what I was thinking!!!!! Oh well, pretty sure the rest of my algorithm was alright so hoping for at least 5 marks on that question.

How do you think you did overall?
Didn't know what operand or operator was along with failover and something about compiler but apart from that it was alright. Oh and the last question was was kind of a struggle.:sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest