The Student Room Group

AQA Classical civilisation AS 2015

What units are people doing?

Scroll to see replies

CIV2B - thought the paper went much better than last year, I'm an A2 student who resat the AS paper today, fingers crossed :smile:
CIV1D and CIV2B, finished both unit's exams now.

Original post by Clytaemnestra
CIV2B - thought the paper went much better than last year, I'm an A2 student who resat the AS paper today, fingers crossed :smile:

CIV2B today was awesome, I did the 1st section then the 2nd 30 marker. Quite fun to write! CIV1D was okay :smile:
Original post by Swifty139
CIV1D and CIV2B, finished both unit's exams now.

CIV2B today was awesome, I did the 1st section then the 2nd 30 marker. Quite fun to write! CIV1D was okay :smile:

Yes I did section A too! Very happy with it :wink: and I did the 30 marker on the suitors :smile:
I did section A and the 30 mark for fathers' and their children
I have created a classics group on TSR btw people :smile:
Original post by Needs2Achieve
I did section A and the 30 mark for fathers' and their children

That 30 marker looked difficult but it was really fun to write! I only struggled with 3 points for how Odysseus reached the shore. I put that Athene gave him the idea to cling onto a rock and wait until the waters calmed before swimming to the shore.
That 30 marker looked difficult but it was really fun to write! I only struggled with 3 points for how Odysseus reached the shore. I put that Athene gave him the idea to cling onto a rock and wait until the waters calmed before swimming to the shore.

I put that. I also put about how he used Inos vale thing to protect him

Oooh good point. I did love that 30 marker though but I may have waffled too much. My first paragraph was a page long rant about how the relationship between Polyphemus and Poseidon opens up a way for Homer to show Odysseus' spiritual growth, except it is more of a refinement in improving his wisdom and judgement from the suffering he endures. Because he blinding Poseidon's son, he incurs the wrath of the god of the sea; the only way to travel and thus bad judgement on his behalf. Also it is the blurting out of his name in pride which causes this, however after all the suffering as Poseidon makes sure he returns home alone, late and broken, he returns more prudent shown as he further endures mockery as a beggar and strikes at the correct time. All of this because of their relationship xD Ooops
Oooh good point. I did love that 30 marker though but I may have waffled too much. My first paragraph was a page long rant about how the relationship between Polyphemus and Poseidon opens up a way for Homer to show Odysseus' spiritual growth, except it is more of a refinement in improving his wisdom and judgement from the suffering he endures. Because he blinding Poseidon's son, he incurs the wrath of the god of the sea; the only way to travel and thus bad judgement on his behalf. Also it is the blurting out of his name in pride which causes this, however after all the suffering as Poseidon makes sure he returns home alone, late and broken, he returns more prudent shown as he further endures mockery as a beggar and strikes at the correct time. All of this because of their relationship xD Ooops

Yeah I put something along them lines. I did the 30 mark question first just to make sure it was clear and obviously best chance to pick most marks up. I wrote about telemachus and Odysseus and how Telemachus gains kleos and helps Odysseus achieve 100% nostos by killing the suitors; and if they didnt have this relationship it might of been hard to achieve full nostos as Odysseus would of not been able to hide the weapons etc.

All points against I wrote about other relationships like immortals and mortals and men and women. I did not understand how important fathers' and their children were to the Odyssey until yesterday.

You'll be fine honestly! It's my second crack at it so I've had a little more experience but I put everything you guys wrote for that 3 marker, but mind went blank on the 2 marker - name 2 female gods who helped Odysseus just before this extract? Athene is one where she calms the winds, but I put Calypso for another, and although that is technically true, they may have been looking for Ino instead?
Yeah I put something along them lines. I did the 30 mark question first just to make sure it was clear and obviously best chance to pick most marks up. I wrote about telemachus and Odysseus and how Telemachus gains kleos and helps Odysseus achieve 100% nostos by killing the suitors; and if they didnt have this relationship it might of been hard to achieve full nostos as Odysseus would of not been able to hide the weapons etc.

All points against I wrote about other relationships like immortals and mortals and men and women. I did not understand how important fathers' and their children were to the Odyssey until yesterday.

Never heard the words Nostos and Kleos before o.O My teacher wasn't the best to be honest... She was a geography teacher xD

I'm the same, I actually enjoyed the essay as they are actually very important!
Never heard the words Nostos and Kleos before o.O My teacher wasn't the best to be honest... She was a geography teacher xD

I'm the same, I actually enjoyed the essay as they are actually very important!

:frown: that a shame
Try not to have a post mortem on it now, you guys will have done fine :smile:
Nostos is Odysseus' return, kleos is fame through what others say about you, timé is another one that we were introduced to recently, though I didn't need to use that for my essays - fame through acquisition of wealth :smile: for my essays I used key terms like Xenia, oikos (household) and just dropped in telemachia in one of my essays, think it was the 20 marker where Athene was absent from helping Odysseus because she was helping Telemachus :wink:
I know what the words mean, I used them as my teacher said if I use them I could pick up more marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know what the words mean, I used them as my teacher said if I use them I could pick up more marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like you've done very well then!
Hopefully everyone here has

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was a fair paper, so hopefully I've done better than last year :smile:
Currently revising for my A2 exams now :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest