The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ParadoxSocks
Do you think it's possible to teach an entire lesson sitting down? Nobody wants me to go in tomorrow but I can't stand staying at home.

Definitely, just explain to the pupils that you've hurt your leg and need to sit. However. If you are meant to be staying completely off it do what the doctor says!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think it's possible to teach an entire lesson sitting down? Nobody wants me to go in tomorrow but I can't stand staying at home.

I teach half and half. The more comfortable I am with my class and the better behaved they are, the more I get away with it.

If I were you I'd go in and explain you can't stand. Everyone should understand that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I'd have to actively hunt a chair down to teach sitting down. Everyone at my school seems to teaching standing. Might just have to give it a go.

You need an office chair with castors. I whizz around the classroom on mine because I'm too old and lazy to get up and the kids think it's hilarious. (In a good way!)
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You need an office chair with castors. I whizz around the classroom on mine because I'm too old and lazy to get up and the kids think it's hilarious. (In a good way!)

I've pushed my office chair into the classroom I'll be in today. Now to figure out how to go and pee without any issues because there's one main flight of stairs and I don't want pupils seeing me struggle :frown:

Original post by Airfairy
I teach half and half. The more comfortable I am with my class and the better behaved they are, the more I get away with it.

If I were you I'd go in and explain you can't stand. Everyone should understand that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm only really worried about my year 9s programming because they tend to need me near their computers. And then my year 11s and their coursework because I can't go and check everything is working as it should.
(edited 8 years ago)
Depends on the topic....I find the less I know about it the more I have to stand up...clears my mental block. If you are engaging then the kids don't really care whether you are sitting down or not...saying that standing up and moving round is good in classes where there is a potential management problem.
I've pushed my office chair into the classroom I'll be in today. Now to figure out how to go and pee without any issues because there's one main flight of stairs and I don't want pupils seeing me struggle :frown:

I'm only really worried about my year 9s programming because they tend to need me near their computers. And then my year 11s and their coursework because I can't go and check everything is working as it should.

If it is a anything ike our school, every class will have a kid on crutches in it and no one will be at all bothered.
Absolute nightmare!! I think I've misplaced all my sheets with my marks on for the classes I teach! I'm fairly certain the class teachers will need those marks to include in their own mark book...

Going to have to search high and low tonight!
There was a few people on here who mentioned having ofsted in for the uni.

Was it okay? I'm majorly panicking as they are watching me tomorrow but assessing the unis quality of teacher training

Posted from TSR Mobile
There was a few people on here who mentioned having ofsted in for the uni.

Was it okay? I'm majorly panicking as they are watching me tomorrow but assessing the unis quality of teacher training

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got observed by ofsted and looking back I worried and stressed out for absolutely nothing. They aren't there to observe you or your teaching. What they are looking for is how well your uni have looked after you during the Pgce.
Okay so day two of teaching on crutches.

Everything hurts. My hand are so painful I could actually cry. Everyone is telling me to go home before I damage myself but it's year 11 deadline and I don't want to do anything that might risk my placement.

Everything sucks.
Original post by Red Lightning
I got observed by ofsted and looking back I worried and stressed out for absolutely nothing. They aren't there to observe you or your teaching. What they are looking for is how well your uni have looked after you during the Pgce.

Thanks this really makes me feel better. I have my obs at 11:20 and your post has calmed me down a lot. Will rep when I'm on laptop

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks this really makes me feel better. I have my obs at 11:20 and your post has calmed me down a lot. Will rep when I'm on laptop

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're definitely not there to check on you. Entirely there to make sure the uni is doing its job supporting you.
Last day of enrichment at my placement school and I had to leave during the first lesson to throw up in the loos, I've been trying to work through this flu but its absolutely killing me. I have a presentation at uni for my final assignment tomorrow and god knows what state I'm going to be in. Have come home to sleep and just hope I have some sort of working brain to survive the day tomorrow.
Ofsted lady wasn't too bad. Her feedback was good. She did grill me a bit on why there's not a section for AfL on my lesson plan, as to which I told her because it's the uni lesson plan so it's their fault :dontknow:

11 teaching days...
Anyone know where I can find my DfES/TRN number online? Or who to contact? Urgent!

Thanks!
Original post by Sampaa
Anyone know where I can find my DfES/TRN number online? Or who to contact? Urgent!

Thanks!

You should have received a letter soon after starting the PGCE with the TRN number on. You also get a QTS certificate and an NQT certificate (now both online, not hard copy) with it on.

Apparently you need to contact capita if you don't have these and want to find out:
http://www.tesfaq.co.uk/gtce

However, I'd try your uni first... They probably have a record of them (I'd have thought they're needed to confirm your QTS) which they may be able to share with you.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I managed two days on crutches but I couldn't go in today. I have no reason to except for a one hour lesson to supervise a sixth former. My arms are all sore and bruised from my crutches and everything sucks :frown:

Did I do the right thing?
I managed two days on crutches but I couldn't go in today. I have no reason to except for a one hour lesson to supervise a sixth former. My arms are all sore and bruised from my crutches and everything sucks :frown:

Of course. You have to look out for yourself!
Ofsted lady wasn't too bad. Her feedback was good. She did grill me a bit on why there's not a section for AfL on my lesson plan, as to which I told her because it's the uni lesson plan so it's their fault :dontknow:

11 teaching days...

Me and oftsed had a chat over tea and biscuits. I did get grilled however.But hey, tea and biscuits and a chance to finally meet an inspector was a good experience overall and I learnt a lot :-)

Of course:

1. Your own health and wellbeing is important!

2. If you had gone in you'd have likely made it worse, which is not good for the pupils/school either. If at any point while you're recovering you need a day off you should take it, as it will be helpful in the long run. Three full days of rest will hopefully help a lot.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending