The Student Room Group

First year child nurse -ask away!

Scroll to see replies

Anyone got an interview at chester today? (Child) xx
I had my interview at Salford last month and I am still waiting for their decision.
The interview however was not as bad as i expected. When we got there in the morning we went into a room where they gave out name badges and asked us to show them our certificates and show them our ID's. After that we had a 15 minute Literacy Test and a 15 Minute Numeracy test. The literacy test was pretty straight forward, you just had to answer the questions in your own opinions really making sure you used correct punctuation and grammar ect.. The numeracy test, I found that quite difficult, I would recommend brushing up on numeracy skills such as rations, fractions conversions, ect... After the test we had a 15 minute break, and after the break we had a group interview, there was 5 people in the group and two interviewees and we were given a scenario which we had to plan out and feedback to the interviewees, that lasted about 15 minutes, after that we had the one to one interview, they asked me 6 questions and that literally lasted 5 minutes and then I was allowed to go.
I would recommend arriving in plenty of time, and being prepared for the numeracy test, a little revision is literally all you need, and for the group interview make sure you speak up too because you cant stay quiet but also let other people have a chance, and for the one to one interview they will ask you why you want to be a nurse, why their university, current events regarding health ect ect, overall the day went really well, everyone was really nice and it was a lovely atmosphere, make sure you have some questions to ask at the end of your one to one interview to show interest but other than that just relax and take your time :smile:
I just wanted to let you all know that I didn't get a place at southampton this year :frown: Hopefully I'll do okay with some of my other choices, thanks for all your help though with questions :smile: X
Original post by Naomi_96
I just wanted to let you all know that I didn't get a place at southampton this year :frown: Hopefully I'll do okay with some of my other choices, thanks for all your help though with questions :smile: X

Sorry too hear that, good luck for your other choices! I have an interview at Huddersfield tomorrow! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ollynicky
Sorry too hear that, good luck for your other choices! I have an interview at Huddersfield tomorrow! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww thank you, aww good luck I'm sure you will be fine ☺️ X
Reply 45
Hey nbarker176,

I was wondering if you may be able to offer some advice. I'm approaching nursing a bit later in life (I'm 27 and have already done a degree in physics) and have applied for the Pgdip course in children's nursing to start in september 2015. It's a 2 year accelerated course for graduates.

I was wondering how you decided to study children's nursing? I have always been torn between children's nursing and adult nursing and am not sure whether to change to adult nursing. I am currently working as a nursing assistant on a female adult neurosurgical ward. I am enjoying it, and find it challening - perhaps you can offer some insight into the parts of children's nursing that you have found the hardest? I've found talking to the adult patients quite easy and natural - I wonder, as a children's nurse, do you find you have to be more energetic and fun? Or does it vary? I am not a loud, outgoing person, but am quietly confident and like getting to know the patients.

I've had some experience working in a nursery and as a tutor in a primary school, so I do have some experience of working with children.

Any insights or advice are appreciated :smile:
What are the top 10 thing you would take with you! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jturnip
Hey nbarker176,

I was wondering if you may be able to offer some advice. I'm approaching nursing a bit later in life (I'm 27 and have already done a degree in physics) and have applied for the Pgdip course in children's nursing to start in september 2015. It's a 2 year accelerated course for graduates.

I was wondering how you decided to study children's nursing? I have always been torn between children's nursing and adult nursing and am not sure whether to change to adult nursing. I am currently working as a nursing assistant on a female adult neurosurgical ward. I am enjoying it, and find it challening - perhaps you can offer some insight into the parts of children's nursing that you have found the hardest? I've found talking to the adult patients quite easy and natural - I wonder, as a children's nurse, do you find you have to be more energetic and fun? Or does it vary? I am not a loud, outgoing person, but am quietly confident and like getting to know the patients.

I've had some experience working in a nursery and as a tutor in a primary school, so I do have some experience of working with children.

Any insights or advice are appreciated :smile:

Hello!
Ooh that's exciting! Good luck for you.
Well, i've always wanted to be a nurse, i applied for adult originally and got a place etc but then didn't go as i was doubting between child and adult. I then got a job as a healthcare assistant on a childrens ward and absolutely loved it so i definitely knew that children's nursing was what i wanted to do :smile:

The thing i've found the hardest is when children are really sick, and dealing with the emotional side of it, or deaths. They never really get any easier. Umm, communication wise some younger patients you have to be a bit more upbeat and childish with and then older patients would just be like talking to adult patients, as well as their family so you'd be good with that :smile:
What do you think deep down you'd like to do? Hope this helps! X
Reply 48
I have an interview today, at Chester(Adult Nursing). I just wanted to know, how was the math test. How many marks do you need to pass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm hoping to start a children's nursing degree in September 2016, I just was wanting to know about placement in terms of weekends. I have a part time job which is weekends only and they're not very flexible, I have 11.5 days holiday which i can take so i was wondering if the university tells you in advance when the weekend placements would be so i can book it off in advance. otherwise i'm going to have to get a new job so i have some sort of income. thanks
Original post by heather1807
I'm hoping to start a children's nursing degree in September 2016, I just was wanting to know about placement in terms of weekends. I have a part time job which is weekends only and they're not very flexible, I have 11.5 days holiday which i can take so i was wondering if the university tells you in advance when the weekend placements would be so i can book it off in advance. otherwise i'm going to have to get a new job so i have some sort of income. thanks

Hi
I'm a second year paediatric nurse :smile:
Your university do not dictate your shifts, the shifts are decided by your mentor on placement. One of the NMC requirements is to work a 24 Hour placement i.e. You have to work nights, weekends and bank holidays.

Personally, my uni has the policy of working no more than 2 weekend shifts a month and that we have to do a minimum of 14 night shifts across the three years.

Also most unis emphasise the fact that placement should be your priority so perhaps consider all this and try to find a job that is flexible if you really need a job whilst at uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, thank you so much, it's not that I really need one i just don't know how much financial support I will get a month to keep me going, which uni are you at out if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Hi, thank you so much, it's not that I really need one i just don't know how much financial support I will get a month to keep me going, which uni are you at out if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Hi
Your finance will depend on whether you live away from home, if its outside london and if you have any children.
Personally, i live away from home and have no children so mine is based on my parents income. I get £398 a month bursary plus student finance of £2324, and manage without a job, however, in my final year these will both reduce so I have got a bank HCA job just to make up the difference :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thank you that's helped a lot x
Okay thank you that's helped a lot x

No problem :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! In terms of placements its down to your mentor what shifts you work, however on my last placement i worked 6 out of 8 weekends, as their the shifts my mentor did so there's no guarantee you'd have every weekend off. I joined nhs professionals before starting uni so i do bank shifts whenever I can really, and did a few whilst on placement. But you need 12 weeks hospital experience, so if you have that already then i'd definitely recommend applying! In terms of a non flexible job, it's probably not ideal! Xx
Hi,
I am applying for uni in october time, im applying for child nursing. I am trying to get as much work experience as i can. I have done voluntary work in a nursery for 2 weeks and i have been a babysitter for 4 years. I am trying to get a placement in a care home for 2 weeks to show a diverse range of experience and im hoping to do a couple of weeks in a school dedicated to people with disabilities. I was wondering if anybody who has applied and got onto the course could help me and recommend some more types of work experience i could look at completing. Thanks!
Reply 57
Hi!!!

I am due to start child nursing in September too and I was wondering what is your usual day like at placement... like what type of things do you do? And what advice would you give someone about to start placement?

Thank you so much
Original post by Lucyloo98
Hi,
I am applying for uni in october time, im applying for child nursing. I am trying to get as much work experience as i can. I have done voluntary work in a nursery for 2 weeks and i have been a babysitter for 4 years. I am trying to get a placement in a care home for 2 weeks to show a diverse range of experience and im hoping to do a couple of weeks in a school dedicated to people with disabilities. I was wondering if anybody who has applied and got onto the course could help me and recommend some more types of work experience i could look at completing. Thanks!

Hey! Well done on your work experience, you've got a varied amount! In terms of experience, I worked as a healthcare assistant before coming to uni, if you're not in full time employment now, that would be an idea. Otherwise, applying to volunteer at a hospital would be good, i'm sure it varies in different trusts but you can become a cuddle buddy for infants, a play volunteer, assist with pat dogs (i can't think what the pat stands for) lol. Any experience you possibly can get will be beneficial, especially when writing your personal statement :smile: x
Original post by praia
Hi!!!

I am due to start child nursing in September too and I was wondering what is your usual day like at placement... like what type of things do you do? And what advice would you give someone about to start placement?

Thank you so much

Hey! So placement varies depending on what setting you are in. Generally speaking, you arrive at say 07.30, go into handover for 20-30 minutes where they discuss all of thr patients as well as anyone being admitted in that day. You then go out, speak to your patients, check what meds and bits their due, anyone going to theatre, any discharges etc so you can then create a list of your jobs for the day! After that, it completely depends on what patients you have and what's going on. So some days i'd do lots of observations, blood pressures, medications, NG feeds, nappies. As well as talking to the children and their families. Some days i'd help with dressing changes, helping with inserting cannulas. Some times I went down to theatre to watch procedures, spend time in different departments the opportunities are endless.

In terms of advice, i'd just say be as helpful and enthusiastic as you can, show that your interested in nursing and that you want to learn. I asked to watch as many things as I could, spoke to different areas about spending time with them. As long as you use your initiative you'll be fine! Nurses are there to help you learn and develop, their not that scary :smile:. Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending