The Student Room Group

A2 sociology crime and deviance

I am sitting the crime and deviance sociology exam and i need some help can someone please help me revise for it. If you have any essays or notes which might help can you please send them so i can have a look at them. Thanks

Also does anyone have any prediction on what's likely to come up this year in the exam.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think sociology and science might come up as the 33marker.

Also I have notes.. if you'd like to PM me on what parts your struggling or need help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I need to start revising sociology lol
Original post by Student20
Yeah I need to start revising sociology lol

I personally think that the theory is quite simple but remembering it.. makes it difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thepatel_1
I personally think that the theory is quite simple but remembering it.. makes it difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the only thing that is a lot of effort is learning the sociologists + linkable case studies, the theories like Marxism / Functionalism etc. all come pretty naturally.
Reply 5
Yeah the only thing that is a lot of effort is learning the sociologists + linkable case studies, the theories like Marxism / Functionalism etc. all come pretty naturally.

How are you intending to link theories like Marxism/Functionalism into a socio as a science essay?
Original post by Mult
How are you intending to link theories like Marxism/Functionalism into a socio as a science essay?

Well the general idea is Marxists / Functionalists are positivists that believe sociology should be a science. That is why they tend to conduct their research using quantitative methods such as a statistics. Durkheim for example, one of the original functionalist sociologists saw sociology as a science, because hypothesis's can be tested and shown by statistics. You could predict something and find it has a trend that correlates with something else, for example his suicide study that showed economic depression lead to greater rates.

On the other hand post modernist sociologists are interactionalists, they believe in social action and not science. Basically they believe things are individual in each case and cannot be predicted / proved by trends.

https://potmd.wordpress.com/2012/01/29/sociology-cannot-and-should-not-be-a-science-to-what-extent-do-sociological-arguments-and-evidence-support-this-view/

This is a good essay to read if confused.
Reply 7
Well the general idea is Marxists / Functionalists are positivists that believe sociology should be a science. That is why they tend to conduct their research using quantitative methods such as a statistics. Durkheim for example, one of the original functionalist sociologists saw sociology as a science, because hypothesis's can be tested and shown by statistics. You could predict something and find it has a trend that correlates with something else, for example his suicide study that showed economic depression lead to greater rates.

On the other hand post modernist sociologists are interactionalists, they believe in social action and not science. Basically they believe things are individual in each case and cannot be predicted / proved by trends.

https://potmd.wordpress.com/2012/01/29/sociology-cannot-and-should-not-be-a-science-to-what-extent-do-sociological-arguments-and-evidence-support-this-view/

This is a good essay to read if confused.

Thanks for the link! I'll give that essay a read :smile: Repped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending