The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sorry, can't seem to quote your post properly, but totally agree with everything said :sadnod:

Something I find really horrific about Oxford (dunno whether this happens at Cambridge) is

Spoiler

Spoiler

:cry2:
Original post by Pathway
:cry2:

:console:
Original post by CescaD96
:console:

Spoiler

Original post by Pathway

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yes, I have. But yesterday and today have been the worst ever - and it's different. Over the weekend when I stopped th Abilify I would just get the shakes. I started feeling like this Monday during my exam and it's stayed.

------
I'm being assessed today. :eek: Personality traits and all.

It can take a while for the drug to get completely out of your body, which might explain things getting worse before they get better. Did you tell your psychiatrist that you quit the abilify? I really would advise it if you haven't.

I hope some good comes from the assessment. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
It can take a while for the drug to get completely out of your body, which might explain things getting worse before they get better. Did you tell your psychiatrist that you quit the abilify? I really would advise it if you haven't.

I hope some good comes from the assessment. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm telling her today, she is doing my assessment. :smile: I was told last week that they would be stopping me anyway and if a medication ever becomes too bad for me I have to stop.

Thanks!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Pathway

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Pathway
I think I slept, i don't know. Too dissociated to know what's going on at the moment. My anxiety is mostly ED or PTSD related. So not as general as yours seems to be. Do/did you get any help from your school with regards to helping you deal with anxiety at all? Counselling?
Oh dear. My friend has that problem. I do say general but I don't just get anxious randomly. There are some real world things like groups of people and bridges which raise my anxiety and then I also get to get obsessively fixated upon things and feel anxious about those.
I did have a mentor of sorts when I was in year 13. It was somewhat helpful but the truth is, my circumstances were just too much for me at the time. I was caring for my grandmother who was depressed due to her diagnosis. I lived alone and I don't have parents. I didn't really have any rl friends so I didn't have any support. I comfort ate to deal with the stress and have infact gained quite a few stone since then. I'm not saying my circumstances were the worst! I know people who have physical conditions, like yourself, who probably struggled way worse but I just have a weak mind.
Yeah, I failed my AS year originally as my physcical disability (HEDS/Ehlers-Danlos syndrome) basically decided to rear its ugly head and the fatigue/pain just screwed me over, tbh it didn't even get better when i completed my A2s (I got ACD in the end lol). I think i got EDU first time, i don't remember - dropped physics though, which was probably stupid as I actually liked physics. Oh well.
ACD is a big improvement upon EDU so that's good :smile:.
Ah, true. Is your anxiety mainly related to your exams? I hope you get what you want/need to get onto your chosen course.
Ish. This year was mainly spent job hunting, working full time and caring. I only started learning for my exams in the last couple of months and there are modules I've not started yet simply for lack of time. And not knowing how well I'll do with so little time is killing me. I'm having dreams of hoping for the best and then failing and waking up crying about it and also feeling confident that I can pull through.
Hope it works out for you. Let me know how it goes? I have to wait til next academic year before I can get any therapy through my CMHT. :frown: Would be a little easier if I was able to take medication without panicking haha.
Thanks :smile:. 1 down today and then 8 more to go :tongue:.
Yeah, sort of? Psychology. Some people say it's a life science, other people say it's a social science.

Ah nice. That's a nice degree. What drove you to choose it. Did you want to understand the problems you experience more?
Original post by Odd socks
I think that's what I'll do now, I'll try and get some sleep. I've a feeling my life is going to be like this all month, I can't get enough hours at work to keep me busy so I'm just rotting away in the house :sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have the energy to take on a new activity? Maybe sport or practising a new instrument or ... no need to rot in the house!
Original post by Pathway

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by keromedic
x

Ah, I'm obsessive about random things too, but that's because of being hyper aware of stuff (like needing to know when people enter/exit a room, any potential loud noises e.g. alarms, etc., assessing people's body language e.g. are they gonna do something to harm me or whatever idk). Basically my brain is always on a hype haha.
Is your anxiety particularly bad when you're outside?
Sorry to hear about your situation. :frown: How's your grandmother now? I don't think you have a weak mind at all, in fact I think you're a really strong person to deal with that. I know caring for people isn't easy - growing up I cared a lot for my mum. She basically depended on me for essentially everything emotionally. I was effectively her mum, as opposed to her being my mum (even as young as four). She couldn't deal with my dad, and I guess she turned to me to help her cope. Not entirely sure why, but whatever.
The HEDS doesn't bother me as much as it used to, the dissociation helps me deal with it quite a lot. Which is probably why I'm so dependent on it. I still get frustrated when I'm unable to move because of dislocations though, that's pretty irritating. Oh, and being told I'm a liar because I'm not wheelchair bound - having said that, it has gotten to the point where I was almost in a wheelchair a few years ago. :erm:

Yeah, I know ACD isn't bad, but it's not great. I was predicted A*AB (psychology, chemistry and biology, respectively), so I'm still sort of mad about not getting it haha. I was 2 UMS from getting an A* in psychology, too. :lol:

I think a lot of people go through those emotions when preparing for/after exams. Because it's the whole not knowing thing, isn't it? And also self doubt, but I think you're going to be okay, if you know your stuff it will (hopefully) be put onto the paper and you'll get the grade you need/want. Exam stress is awful to be perfectly honest, and coupled with MH problems it's often debilitating. I really think we should be taught in schools how to deal with it effectively. I don't know why we aren't tbh. :s-smilie:

Yeah, and also to help other people. I want to do a masters and then a PhD/D.ClinPsy at the end of it. But that's years away, and I know at some point I need to deal with my own stuff before I help other people. But that's hard. Not entirely sure if it's possible. What about you? I assume medicine because of your username, lol.
:cry:
:cry:

:hugs: Can PM me if you need/want to talk.
This thread is like my lifeline, I can't survive without it nowadays.
Original post by Sabertooth
Thanks so much for the replies guys, was reading them while waiting at the doc's. :smile:

I'm not in hospital! :woo: Got a med change and made a promise that I'll go to the ER if I'm unsafe. Love my wife so much, she spoke up and got me out of the worst which is awesome - though she told me that I better not make her regret it. I feel like that's a lot of pressure but hopefully the med change makes things easier. Really hoping I don't put all the weight I've worked hard to lose back on. :/

Thanks guys.

:party: Great to hear, well done wifey! :tongue: I've got a lot of faith in you Saber, and I know you can get through this. :hugs:

This thread is like my lifeline, I can't survive without it nowadays.

Good job we're not going anywhere then! :jumphug:
Original post by superwolf
:party: Great to hear, well done wifey! :tongue: I've got a lot of faith in you Saber, and I know you can get through this. :hugs:

Good job we're not going anywhere then! :jumphug:

If you left, I'd hunt you down, Wolfie, all of you. :smile:
If you left, I'd hunt you down, Wolfie, all of you. :smile:

:eek:

:tongue:

Latest