The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by T.I.P
Unless you spend 3k on a gaming pc then dont get one. You will be forever upgrading it costing a fourtune.. just isnt worth the money. Better to just get a console.. also games take forever to release on PC, do they even have GTA5 yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My gaming PC is two years old and cost £600 and I probably could have spent less, the graphics card is a three year-old mid tier card. I've never upgraded it since then, and I still play the vast majority of games from the last two years at high settings or better at 1080p. It will probably laugh in the face of console performance for another few years yet, at which point I could throw a new GPU in for less than the price of a new console and carry on for several years again. The ridiculous delays of GTA V are the exception, not the norm- the majority of cross platform games release at the same time on PC as they do on consoles unless it's a deliberately timed exclusive.

I'm by no means a PC master-racer, consoles do have their merits and I'll probably buy an Xbox One before the end of the year, but saying you need to spend quadruple digits to get a decent gaming PC and that they need continual upgrades over a shorter time than a console lifespan is just blatantly wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 61
Do you run windows 95 on that thing. I bet its slow as ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm thinking about buying a game console at the end of June to celebrate ending my exams.

I had a X360 during the last generation and was quite satisfied although it appeared PS3 was the best during that generation.

The only exclusive I really care about will be KH3 which will be on both.

As the consoles have been out quite some time now, is there any agreement on which one is performing best at this point ?
Original post by T.I.P
Do you run windows 95 on that thing. I bet its slow as ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I run Windows 7 because Windows 8.1 is god-awful, and it runs perfectly. Seriously, either you're trolling or painfully naive if you think a computer has to be worth thousands of pounds to not be "slow as ****" after only a couple of years.

Original post by ParadiseFound
I'm thinking about buying a game console at the end of June to celebrate ending my exams.

I had a X360 during the last generation and was quite satisfied although it appeared PS3 was the best during that generation.

The only exclusive I really care about will be KH3 which will be on both.

As the consoles have been out quite some time now, is there any agreement on which one is performing best at this point ?

The PS4 is objectively more powerful, and developers are already able to leverage extra resolution and fps on the same game. The differences can be subtle, but as the generation progresses the quality gap is likely to continue widening. If you're not interested in either console's brand exclusives or the more robust set of entertainment centre-style features of the Xbox One, the PS4 is probably the better choice as a gaming focussed machine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by T.I.P
Unless you spend 3k on a gaming pc then dont get one. You will be forever upgrading it costing a fourtune.. just isnt worth the money. Better to just get a console.. also games take forever to release on PC, do they even have GTA5 yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not true at all. You can get a PC for £500 or less to play new games at max graphics settings, and it'll last you years and years. Only a little more if you get a friend or shop to build it for you. When you need to upgrade, you'll only be upgrading one or two parts. If you need to get a whole new PC (that'll take nearly a decade), you'll make some money back selling your parts or the whole thing first.

Original post by JoshDawg
Oddly enough consoles *cough* Xbox One *cough* are more moving towards TV and internet / film services and less about the game. Watch the xbox one e3 talk a while back, the guy couldn't stop saying TV.

We know all about that, but that was Microsoft's marketing, which failed. People still buy consoles for the games.
(edited 8 years ago)
Consoles are poor mans PC.
Original post by T.I.P
And I dont mean price, its absolutely crap it never gets any serious updates, games suck too. The indie games they shove down your throat are terrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't even go as far as to call Xbox One a games console, appears to be more of an entertainment. Besides, the games on Xbox One are ridiculously crap. The top rated Xbox One games include Halo, which seems to appeal to audiences of 15 year old kids. The console either appeals to middle aged couples, or 15 year old kids playing AW, and Halo with overpriced headsets. If we talk strictly about the FPS genre then all you have is a terrible community of 15 year old kids, or testosterone-eating, Turtle Beach-using, pre-firing rookies. Although you say poor mans, if we exclude the Kinect (Worst motion sensing technology - If you like motion sensing then go buy a Wii and play Mario Kart or Wii Tennis) then the console is significantly cheaper. More suited to the poorer demographic. Without the small community of decency on the Xbox, then all you're left with is loud mouth children, delusional people, and impertinent little chavs

Now look at the PS4 exclusives. The Last Of Us, Bloodborne, Resogun, and (if the rumors are correct) Beyond: Two Souls. If the later game is released then you might as well be comparing an Atari 2600 with a PS3. PSN has a much better community as opposed to the Xbox, and far superior exclusive games.

As mentioned, the PC is a good platform, but only if you're well invested in getting some decent hardware. Without decent hardware then..
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sony all the way!
Reply 68
Original post by ozzyoscy
That's not true at all. You can get a PC for £500 or less to play new games at max graphics settings, and it'll last you years and years. Only a little more if you get a friend or shop to build it for you. When you need to upgrade, you'll only be upgrading one or two parts. If you need to get a whole new PC (that'll take nearly a decade), you'll make some money back selling your parts or the whole thing first.

We know all about that, but that was Microsoft's marketing, which failed. People still buy consoles for the games.

500 if the parts are preowned according to your PM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the off chance you're genuinely unaware and not just trolling, or just for the sake of other users who might actually believe you, here's an example build I threw together in two minutes for under £500. You could easily shave off a chunk more by using a full sized case, but I'm guessing your next complaint would be that it's too big so I went for a mini ITX parts instead. You could also probably save money using AMD CPUs and GPUs but I stuck to Intel and Nvidia because I don't keep up with AMD as much and couldn't be bothered to spend time researching just to prove you wrong. Either way, it embarrasses the PS4 and Xbox One on the performance front so badly it's not even funny, easily maxing out almost every game at 1080p, in a case that's only about 3% larger than the Xbox One (7434cm2 vs 7217cm2) so you can stick it in your living room if you wanted to and hook a controller up to use it just like a console. Factor in the savings from way cheaper games, no online multiplayer fees, and the fact that you don't need to buy an extra computer (which I would wager 90% of console owners do), and you end up with something that actually costs less money over the lifespan of a console.
(edited 8 years ago)
You've put the wrong link in :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
You've put the wrong link in :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I didn't :ninja:

Fixed, thanks :ahee:
Reply 72
Its what another member said in a PM I didnt quote you.

Not reading that anyway so youve wasted your time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoken like a true console warrior.
Original post by T.I.P

You sent me a PM just saying "any recommendations". I recommended pre-owned, because that's cheaper for the same quality of parts.

So you were trying to be some sort of undercover mole or something? That's weird...
Original post by T.I.P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, I was correcting you so that anyone reading through the thread would know what you were saying was wrong.
Reply 76
Original post by ozzyoscy
You sent me a PM just saying "any recommendations". I recommended pre-owned, because that's cheaper for the same quality of parts.

So you were trying to be some sort of undercover mole or something? That's weird...

I want to see a decent build for 500 NEW then I will stfu

Posted from TSR Mobile
/r/PCMasterrace has leaked out again I see.
Original post by T.I.P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good for you?

How old are you?
Original post by T.I.P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check the link in my post that you refused to read.

Original post by Arkasia
/r/PCMasterrace has leaked out again I see.

Meh, I'm no maste-racer (buying a MacBook and planning to buy an Xbox would be very odd otherwise), but if he's going to say things like PCs have to cost thousands and that a two year old PC must be "slow as ****" just because it didn't cost thousands then he's going to get corrected.

Latest