The Student Room Group

Business studies Unit 1 AS Edexcel

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rohan taneja
I'm okay just so many disadvantages and disadvantages to learn :frown:

4-5 pp - learning all defn and keywords enough ???
Reply 481
Original post by ahsan_ijaz
4-5 pp - learning all defn and keywords enough ???

for the essay questions you have to give an argument so advantages an disadvantages of everything will be needed, alongside definitions.
In my opinion though, the A+D's are quite obvious if you properly understand the exam content.
I would also agree with the above^^. One problem I have out of the topics is long-tail. If someone could briefly summarize what it is all about, that would be great. I get the general idea of it... e-tailing has allowed business to open up niche markets and sell products 'outside of the hits', with little high costs due to no space space being taken up. If anyone is knowledgeable or knows a bit more in depth please help!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Khanthebrit
I would also agree with the above^^. One problem I have out of the topics is long-tail. If someone could briefly summarize what it is all about, that would be great. I get the general idea of it... e-tailing has allowed business to open up niche markets and sell products 'outside of the hits', with little high costs due to no space space being taken up. If anyone is knowledgeable or knows a bit more in depth please help!

Long tail is basically e-commerce. Consumers benefit from more choices like buying from abroad, more competion which should drive down prices, more convenience as don't have to physically go to shop to buy it etc

Businesses, niches can reach more consumers than a physical location constraint, they don't necessarily need a shop just storage which can save fixed costs. They have the downsides of more competition including competition abroad etc. Plus like the Internet is available 24/7 so people can order even when stores are closed etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nath98
for the essay questions you have to give an argument so advantages an disadvantages of everything will be needed, alongside definitions.
In my opinion though, the A+D's are quite obvious if you properly understand the exam content.

i think its a learning game - im kinda really stressed out - i did well in U2 - but no time to study for this till now

Had english and chem yday
Bio , monday

i think i will memorise everything for 2 hours - then do 4-5 pp and then test myself with some revision cards
Can someone answer me:
For 4 marks questions, why some some of them are 1 knowledge, 1 application and 2 analysis, and some of them are 2 knowledge, 1 application, and 1 analysis??
So confused about why the marks of those questions are keeping changing between(knowledge,application,analysis and evaluation).
Not only 4 marks questions,and I don't know when should I have to evaluate...:s-smilie:
Reply 486
i think its a learning game - im kinda really stressed out - i did well in U2 - but no time to study for this till now

Had english and chem yday
Bio , monday

i think i will memorise everything for 2 hours - then do 4-5 pp and then test myself with some revision cards

I've only started revision for Unit 2 since yesterday :/ Haven't had time beforehand, just trying to get through every topic as quickly as i can.
What i like doing is to revise a topic, then i have a chart which shows the corresponding exam questions by year for each topic and i'll do each exam question for that topic to make sure i'm good with the theory.
Worked well for Unit 1 but as i'm pushed for time in Unit 2 i'm running out of time, still got about 40% of the course to do!
Original post by Nath98
I've only started revision for Unit 2 since yesterday :/ Haven't had time beforehand, just trying to get through every topic as quickly as i can.
What i like doing is to revise a topic, then i have a chart which shows the corresponding exam questions by year for each topic and i'll do each exam question for that topic to make sure i'm good with the theory.
Worked well for Unit 1 but as i'm pushed for time in Unit 2 i'm running out of time, still got about 40% of the course to do!

Yeah unit 1 it went good - i had good preperation
Im thinking ill do same- i have 12 hours
do you suggest - doing topic by topic pp Q or a full pp?
Reply 488
Yeah unit 1 it went good - i had good preperation
Im thinking ill do same- i have 12 hours
do you suggest - doing topic by topic pp Q or a full pp?

Personally i prefer doing topic by topic questions :smile: Maybe once you've gone through the entire course, then find a paper which you haven't answered that many questions from and do a timed run to get some timing skills! :smile:
Original post by Khanthebrit
About to start to do some Business revision now (I have done lots before, just haven't started yet today). I'd like to say I am feeling relatively confident and personally, I find section B easier on this unit. I think that perhaps because we can apply more knowledge into this exam makes that section a little easier.

How are you feeling?

Well i had to cover the whole of business structures and Frederick, Herzbers, and Maslow's theory's today because my teacher never taught it to me.
And now i'm going to try and cram in the price elasticity of demand sum into my head.....yay revision -_-

But i actually think i feel more confident about this exam than i actually should to be honest :smile:

Anyone else feeling a similar way?
(edited 8 years ago)
diseconomies of scale definition and economic cycle defintion?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys.... Has anyone got any predictions for tomorrow? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 492
Original post by Devinely
Well i had to cover the whole of business structures and Frederick, Herzbers, and Maslow's theory's today because my teacher never taught it to me.
And now i'm going to try and cram in the price elasticity of demand sum into my head.....yay revision -_-

But i actually think i feel more confident about this exam than i actually should to be honest :smile:

Anyone else feeling a similar way?

Yeah I am feeling very confident now was all home day so did maths revision in morning and then business in afternoon so gonna revise business again soon just to recap my knowledge and not do anything tomorrow because I am just going to go in the exam room feeling relaxed.

Plus I am in the hall tomorrow for three hours because I have business first and then a 5 minute break and then straight for maths :frown:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433349079.406420.jpg

I really don't understand how to answer this PED question. How do I? The equation doesn't fit :/ the mark scheme doesn't make any sense either

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by skittles100
diseconomies of scale definition and economic cycle defintion?

Haven't looked in a book or anything, so I don't know the correct definition as of yet, but I believe it is this.

Dis-economies of scale is when a business expands and becomes too large that its cost per unit of output begins to rise. This is generally down to the loss of motivation in employees and large businesses will start to incur more communication problems up and down the chain.
Reply 495
Original post by deano321
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433349079.406420.jpg

I really don't understand how to answer this PED question. How do I? The equation doesn't fit :/ the mark scheme doesn't make any sense either

Posted from TSR Mobile

Formula = %change in quantity demanded/ %change in price

= ?/6
= -0.5 times 6
= -3%

so Answer is A because demand fell by 3 percent but revenue rose by 6 percent

and then define PED which is defined as measures the responsiveness of quantity demanded of change in price

This was done without looking at the book or anything so proud of myself :smile:

= ?/6
= -0.5 times 6
= -3%

and then define PED which is defined as measures the responsiveness of quantity demanded of change in price

This was done without looking at the book or anything so proud of myself :smile:

Thank you for that :smile: so do you do the inverse for that one? So it's not divide it's times?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 497
Original post by deano321
Thank you for that :smile: so do you do the inverse for that one? So it's not divide it's times?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah after doing so many past papers I finally found out what I had to do :smile:
Yeah after doing so many past papers I finally found out what I had to do :smile:

Ahh makes sense now! Thank you :smile:

Any predictions for tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

= ?/6
= -0.5 times 6
= -3%

I would of pretty much put exactly this. My only question is how did you come to the conclusion that revenue rose by 6%? I did the calculation and got demand falling by 3% and used the fact that Liverpool football tickets are price inelastic, therefore meaning that the answer is A because a small change in price causes an even smaller change in demand.

Quick Reply

Latest