The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gilo98
Such a shame they changed the format of the paper 2 yrs ago - would've loved to have sat half the spec

Exactly I much rather have sat half the spec then attempting to learn so many case studies and the individual sections 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midnightmemories
mine are over next week

0o0 yay! So close! Be sure to make the most of the summer, it's likely to be your last long holiday (well at least until A2)!
Whose cramming all their revision rn? Yup me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dumb cabbage
Exactly I much rather have sat half the spec then attempting to learn so many case studies and the individual sections 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep :angry: Just going to hope for some easy questions - tbh it seems only rivers and coasts actually ask proper 'geography' Qs like how a meander from etc, the Qs from the other 2 themes can eb answered without having studied much geography!!
Original post by Gilo98
Yep :angry: Just going to hope for some easy questions - tbh it seems only rivers and coasts actually ask proper 'geography' Qs like how a meander from etc, the Qs from the other 2 themes can eb answered without having studied much geography!!

True, well good luck for tomorrow :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by turn-to-page394
Yes I did. U? How did you find it? :smile:

Personally, it was ok - last minute vocab cramming and voila! :tongue: Probably made some stupid errors but hey, I always do. :biggrin:
Lit is going to be painful though so hopefully my language mark will keep me afloat :wink:

Well, it's the opposite for me! I rely more on lit, as I find memorising the translation easier, and find lang such a struggle. But I thought this paper was quite good for a paper 2 - normally they are a lot harder, right?
Original post by fabsafxo
Hi!

I did TKAM today....OH MY DAYS IS ALL I CAN SAY.
How hard was it?? I don't even remember there being that extract in the novel?!?!?!

I had no idea what to write..usually I would jumble on about anything and create points...but there was absolutely nothing I could write...IT WAS SO HARD.

Then to make it worst I picked an extract which had nothing to do with scouts behaviour towards others?!?! I did scouts first day at school...shoulda done the lynch mob but was sitting there for 20 mins just reading the book ahaaaa....

I literally did so bad and wrote half page for each a and b question but section b was alright..i did the uniform article=)

Hey!
Don't stress! I'm sure you didn't do that bad!! :smile: I found the extract super duper hard too, I don't think I'd even read that part lol, I just kind of remembered my teacher dissing all the women for being hypocrites lmao.

That extract is perfectly fine!! There's nothing wrong with it as long as you analysed language and linked to the question a few times. I did the lynch mob scene, but only because I promised myself that I would choose that extract no matter what came up, because its basically applicable all the time lol.

And I did the uniform article too, I just thought that it was the easier one since I'm pretty sure I've done it before sometime, though can't remember when :P
Maths watch buddy 🙋🏽

Posted from TSR Mobile

revised all the topics I didn't know from mathswatch in half term. But now my schools subscription to mathswatch has run out 2 days before the exam :colonhash:
Original post by SuperHuman98
Thursday morning:smile: I have geography tomorrow

Ahah high five :biggrin: panicking right now but still procrastinating oops :tongue:
Original post by sditta
Well, it's the opposite for me! I rely more on lit, as I find memorising the translation easier, and find lang such a struggle. But I thought this paper was quite good for a paper 2 - normally they are a lot harder, right?

Ahah, memorising is a pain..... I find it so dull.

Yeah, this paper was pretty nice. :smile:
Hi for all who have done the geography exam today for Edexcel, I have made a markscheme:
Please rep or follow or whatever if I was useful:smile:

Population

Describe the graph over time (3) to get the full marks you needed to say how each block is changing with reference to figures and dates.

Suggest possible reasons for the population structure changes (4) ageing population, lower birth rate and migration are for each age group percentage. (migration looking for work) (ageing population because of medical advances) lower birth rate (contraception)

What stage is the stage declining? (1) stage 5

Give reasons for this and economic development(4) I put higher life expectancy and ageing population will mean more money from the government for state pensions and less babies being born because no longer needed for agriculture and for manufacturing. Also work longer for more taxes to improve services like education and health.

Benefits for the children (1) get an education and can have a high quality life in the future because they can work

Benefits for the local community (1) more income growth means better standard of living as government can spend it on things that help the economy grow (businesses, education, hospitals)

Explain what happens to population growth when women are educated (3) the birth rate goes down because women are being educated about sex and contraception. Ageing population.

One Child policy successes and failures (8+3Spag) you could say anything about the effects when the changes were made, and beforehand. Things like: famine predicted did not occur, 200 million fewer births, female infanticide and gender imbalance. Also, late abortions and pressure on women. Also spoiled children etc.

Changing Urban Environments

Outline one issue from transport and car use (2) Pollution from the exhaust fumes being released.

What map is this? (1) Topological.

Using figure x and your own knowledge, explainhow these issues can be reduced (4) you can say a case study or just general things but you had to mention the bicycles, buses, walking. You could say encourage to use public services by campaigns and incentives etc.

From the graph, how have residents benefitted from the Inner city scheme? (3) all on graph: less housing shortages, more happier people, better quality of living and less crime. Refer to percentages.

Label the characteristics of the squatter settlements (3) you could say unhygienic conditions,little space between houses, water pollution, crowded, no electricity or phone lines, no paved roads or sewers, waste materials etc.

Describe how the conditions in the squatter settlements affect lives of people living there (4) people work in the informal sector working long hours for little money not taxed by government, basic education, no services mean people struggle, don't earn a lot and economy grows very slowly etc. etc.

Case study on Urban Sustainable living? (8+3Spag) you didn't have to use a case study, but as long as you had points all about waste, travel and open spaces. I used Curitiba - so bi-articulated buses carry a lot of people, bike paths, 70% recycled, areas that are on steep slopes mean lorries cannot get there so bus fare discounts are given to those who hand their rubbish in, parks and open space etc.

Tourism

Describe how tourism is important to the economies of both rich and poor countries (6) you needed to refer to specific countries and their values to get more than 2 really. Poorer countries are more dependent on the income of tourism (for example, Kenya's GNP is 15% whereas UK is 5%). Tourism creates jobs. I really don't think there was enough to write for 6 marks, but I am sure the examiners will give it just by saying how they both contribute to the economy etc. etc.

What is stewardship? (2) TakingResponsibility for conserving the environment.

Label this image of how it could be an ecotourism place (3) no pollution, no waste, materials ar enot harmful to the environment, natural habitats, you really needed 3 valid points.

Give one impact of ecotourism to the local economy(2) You could have just a general point but you could have referred to a lodge studied. I said all profit goes to the local economy rather than the large economies (e.g.. tataquara lodge receives all profit to improve facilities)

Circle either a national park or park resort anddescribe how it developed using figure x (4) There was a national park, you had to look for the yellow part which was on the map and on the insert page 5. A very simple question in which you just had to explain what the attractions were for each. So coasts: (I did this) physical attractions of scenery, sun, sand and sea. Activities of swimming, water skiing and cultural museum heritage or something like that. National Park: Natural habitats, scenery, SSSI (scientific stuff) and activities such as climbing, walking and trekking.

Describe how either a national park or park resort tries to continue and maintain the success of tourism (8+3 Spag) This wasn't about the soil erosion or footpaths or anything. It was about maintain tourism, so you had to say what things were going to happen in the future. For example, I said "more paths to make it more accessible, more advertising to make more people aware, farms encouraged to provide activities such as quad biking) etc.

HOPE I HELPED!!!
Please rep me if i was useful to you
Thanks.
Oh, and these aren't definite, its just what I have collected/done myself/looked up and think
ive left and im already missing school
So how did everyone find geography?

Posted from TSR Mobile
revised all the topics I didn't know from mathswatch in half term. But now my schools subscription to mathswatch has run out 2 days before the exam :colonhash:

That's annoying :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So how did everyone find geography?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi for all who have done the geography exam today for Edexcel, I have made a markscheme:
Please rep or follow or whatever if I was useful

Population

Describe the graph over time (3) to get the full marks you needed to say how each block is changing with reference to figures and dates.

Suggest possible reasons for the population structure changes (4) ageing population, lower birth rate and migration are for each age group percentage. (migration looking for work) (ageing population because of medical advances) lower birth rate (contraception)

Give reasons for this and economic development(4) I put higher life expectancy and ageing population will mean more money from the government for state pensions and less babies being born because no longer needed for agriculture and for manufacturing. Also work longer for more taxes to improve services like education and health.

Benefits for the children (1) get an education and can have a high quality life in the future because they can work

Benefits for the local community (1) more income growth means better standard of living as government can spend it on things that help the economy grow (businesses, education, hospitals)

Explain what happens to population growth when women are educated (3) the birth rate goes down because women are being educated about sex and contraception. Ageing population.

One Child policy successes and failures (8+3Spag) you could say anything about the effects when the changes were made, and beforehand. Things like: famine predicted did not occur, 200 million fewer births, female infanticide and gender imbalance. Also, late abortions and pressure on women. Also spoiled children etc.

Outline one issue from transport and car use (2) Pollution from the exhaust fumes being released.

Using figure x and your own knowledge, explainhow these issues can be reduced (4) you can say a case study or just general things but you had to mention the bicycles, buses, walking. You could say encourage to use public services by campaigns and incentives etc.

From the graph, how have residents benefitted from the Inner city scheme? (3) all on graph: less housing shortages, more happier people, better quality of living and less crime. Refer to percentages.

Label the characteristics of the squatter settlements (3) you could say unhygienic conditions,little space between houses, water pollution, crowded, no electricity or phone lines, no paved roads or sewers, waste materials etc.

Describe how the conditions in the squatter settlements affect lives of people living there (4) people work in the informal sector working long hours for little money not taxed by government, basic education, no services mean people struggle, don't earn a lot and economy grows very slowly etc. etc.

Case study on Urban Sustainable living? (8+3Spag) you didn't have to use a case study, but as long as you had points all about waste, travel and open spaces. I used Curitiba - so bi-articulated buses carry a lot of people, bike paths, 70% recycled, areas that are on steep slopes mean lorries cannot get there so bus fare discounts are given to those who hand their rubbish in, parks and open space etc.

Tourism

Describe how tourism is important to the economies of both rich and poor countries (6) you needed to refer to specific countries and their values to get more than 2 really. Poorer countries are more dependent on the income of tourism (for example, Kenya's GNP is 15% whereas UK is 5%). Tourism creates jobs. I really don't think there was enough to write for 6 marks, but I am sure the examiners will give it just by saying how they both contribute to the economy etc. etc.

Label this image of how it could be an ecotourism place (3) no pollution, no waste, materials ar enot harmful to the environment, natural habitats, you really needed 3 valid points.

Give one impact of ecotourism to the local economy(2) You could have just a general point but you could have referred to a lodge studied. I said all profit goes to the local economy rather than the large economies (e.g.. tataquara lodge receives all profit to improve facilities)

Circle either a national park or park resort anddescribe how it developed using figure x (4) There was a national park, you had to look for the yellow part which was on the map and on the insert page 5. A very simple question in which you just had to explain what the attractions were for each. So coasts: (I did this) physical attractions of scenery, sun, sand and sea. Activities of swimming, water skiing and cultural museum heritage or something like that. National Park: Natural habitats, scenery, SSSI (scientific stuff) and activities such as climbing, walking and trekking.

Describe how either a national park or park resort tries to continue and maintain the success of tourism (8+3 Spag) This wasn't about the soil erosion or footpaths or anything. It was about maintain tourism, so you had to say what things were going to happen in the future. For example, I said "more paths to make it more accessible, more advertising to make more people aware, farms encouraged to provide activities such as quad biking) etc.

HOPE I HELPED!!!
Thanks.
Oh, and these aren't definite, its just what I have collected/done myself/looked up and think
Please rep or follow or whatever if I was useful:smile:

Population

Tourism

HOPE I HELPED!!!
Thanks.

that has nothing to do with the thread
Original post by clever5678
that has nothing to do with the thread

The thread is for everything...

Its just general year 11 and exams, if you look back on previous pages you will see there is a hella of a lot exam discussion and the markscheme is to help those people out who are not on the normal thread. So.
The geography was great today.. but as always i got a 1mark question wrong :'(
The thread is for everything...

Its just general year 11 and exams, if you look back on previous pages you will see there is a hella of a lot exam discussion and the markscheme is to help those people out who are not on the normal thread. So.

come on why cant we just stop talking about exams seriously guys xx
The geography was great today.. but as always i got a 1mark question wrong :'(

Which one was it? I made a markscheme above:smile:

Was it the topological one? Because I think everyone got that wrong you know, it was hard:smile:

Latest