The Student Room Group

Business studies Unit 1 AS Edexcel

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by Khanthebrit
I would of pretty much put exactly this. My only question is how did you come to the conclusion that revenue rose by 6%? I did the calculation and got demand falling by 3% and used the fact that Liverpool football tickets are price inelastic, therefore meaning that the answer is A because a small change in price causes an even smaller change in demand.

Because the 6 is the price it increased thus relating to revenue make any sense?
Original post by rohan taneja
Because the 6 is the price it increased thus relating to revenue make any sense?

I understand where you're coming from, I just don't understand how you figured out that revenue 'rose by 6%'. The price rose by 6%, and because demand only fell by -3% (less than that of price), it means that revenue will increase, thus making it price inelastic.
Reply 502
I understand where you're coming from, I just don't understand how you figured out that revenue 'rose by 6%'. The price rose by 6%, and because demand only fell by -3% (less than that of price), it means that revenue will increase, thus making it price inelastic.

That's right I guess then but I think either point would be right

However I think we are going to be asked to calculate capacity utilisation tomorrow because we haven't been asked that for a while??
That's right I guess then but I think either point would be right

However I think we are going to be asked to calculate capacity utilisation tomorrow because we haven't been asked that for a while??

I got that feeling too :smile:. Just remember the equation and how to re-arrange it. Exchange rates might also come up, but that does not involve equations. Also, macroeconomics may come up as well.
Original post by skittles100
diseconomies of scale definition and economic cycle defintion?

Disconomies of scale is where the avg costs start rising again

The economic cycle describes fluctuations in levels and rate of growth of GDP over a period of time
Haven't looked in a book or anything, so I don't know the correct definition as of yet, but I believe it is this.

Dis-economies of scale is when a business expands and becomes too large that its cost per unit of output begins to rise. This is generally down to the loss of motivation in employees and large businesses will start to incur more communication problems up and down the chain.

thanks! do you know the key points we need to know about aggregate demand and supply
Reply 506
I got that feeling too :smile:. Just remember the equation and how to re-arrange it. Exchange rates might also come up, but that does not involve equations. Also, macroeconomics may come up as well.

You are doing unit 2 edexcel right because that is nowhere to be found in the book?

Woah exchange rates? That's unit 1? And macroeconomics? What's that. Never even heard of it. Sure it's on the spec?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deano321
Thank you for that :smile: so do you do the inverse for that one? So it's not divide it's times?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My tip would be just to put in what you do know into the original formula and re-arrange for what you need.

Without any formula I just presumed that because it's price inelastic, and prices rose, the change in QD will be less therefore although sales would go down, profits would increase
You are doing unit 2 edexcel right because that is nowhere to be found in the book?

Yes I am definitely doing the same paper as you guys :smile:. Macroeconomics is a posh word and may not be put in many of the books.

What it essentially involves is 2 components:
Aggregate Demand
Aggregate Supply.

It is a small section, and also talks about unemployment (structural, regional, frictional etc)
Woah exchange rates? That's unit 1? And macroeconomics? What's that. Never even heard of it. Sure it's on the spec?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think exchange rates will come up but macroeconomics is all about the economic cycle, what happens at each part of cycle, what effect is has and the diff types of unemployment
Original post by Klatie
My tip would be just to put in what you do know into the original formula and re-arrange for what you need.

Without any formula I just presumed that because it's price inelastic, and prices rose, the change in QD will be less therefore although sales would go down, profits would increase

Ok thanks a lot. I'm just going to do my best with it! Came up last year tho... Unlikely it will come up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 512
Original post by Klatie
I don't think exchange rates will come up but macroeconomics is all about the economic cycle, what happens at each part of cycle, what effect is has and the diff types of unemployment

That is not in the spec

What board are u doing??
Original post by Klatie

ahh ok that's makes sense, cheers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thanks a lot. I'm just going to do my best with it! Came up last year tho... Unlikely it will come up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You sure that was last year aha if there was a question on Liverpool I swear I would have remembered D:

I did the paper last year and came out with a B just trying to improve

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a small section within my book (and the spec) which involves exchange rates. Many things from unit 1 can crop up in unit 2, for example, Market research. In times of uncertainty, businesses will undergo market research etc.

You are expected to apply some unit 1 knowledge to unit 2, although I'd assume any unit 2 books will repeat some aspects from unit 1
That is not in the spec

What board are u doing??

It is and Edexcel
Original post by Klatie
Disconomies of scale is where the avg costs start rising again

The economic cycle describes fluctuations in levels and rate of growth of GDP over a period of time

thanks! do you know the key points we need to know about macroeconomics?
There is a small section within my book (and the spec) which involves exchange rates. Many things from unit 1 can crop up in unit 2, for example, Market research. In times of uncertainty, businesses will undergo market research etc.

You are expected to apply some unit 1 knowledge to unit 2, although I'd assume any unit 2 books will repeat some aspects from unit 1

Yeah it's not as much a topic itself more how it will impact parts from unit 2/how parts from unit 2 will impact it. It's sorta common sense after doing unit 1

I know pricing strategies can come up in unit 2 - were were explicitly told this. However we were not told any other areas :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest