The Student Room Group

AQA IGCSE Biology - 12th May

Did anyone do Paper 1 today? How did you find it?

What was the answer on the malaria question? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi i did it and didnt get that maleria question atall, what other questions did you find hard? what was an answer to the advantage of battery chickens?
Reply 2
Marvin, I put 'as the battery chickens do not have space to be able to move, they conserve energy (ie free chickens lose energy as they move)'...not sure if its right? What did you put?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by KS2112
Marvin, I put 'as the battery chickens do not have space to be able to move, they conserve energy (ie free chickens lose energy as they move)'...not sure if its right? What did you put?

I put the same thing, most likely its correct. What did you get for the water consumption by the plant in the patometer (There were 3 numerical answers)
Reply 4
Thats good.

I put 5, 125 and 12.5.. How about you?
Reply 5
Original post by KS2112
Thats good.

I put 5, 125 and 12.5.. How about you?

Ok i got it wrong then i put 5, 4 and 0.4

For no 2 i multiplied 5 by 0.8 as that was the width of tube

then for no 3 i divided by 10 to get 1 minute so RIP me :|
Reply 6
When it asked name 3 chemicals that plasma carries, what answers did any of you get?
Reply 7
Original post by joodaa
When it asked name 3 chemicals that plasma carries, what answers did any of you get?

Harmones
C02
urea
Reply 8
Original post by Marvin16
Harmones
C02
urea

Ugh I thought you could just put the ones that it said in the diagram :/ I got the same numbers as you though 5,4 and 0.4
Reply 9
Original post by joodaa
Ugh I thought you could just put the ones that it said in the diagram :/ I got the same numbers as you though 5,4 and 0.4

Ah well, And i guess we can hope the numbers are correct :smile:
Ok i got it wrong then i put 5, 4 and 0.4

For no 2 i multiplied 5 by 0.8 as that was the width of tube

then for no 3 i divided by 10 to get 1 minute so RIP me :|

No, you are correct. "0.8" was definitely the area of the tube. Everyone in my school agrees, even my teacher who saw the test afterwards.
You are right.
Reply 11
what did people put for the mutation of the gene for the sickle cell gene?
what happens when you leave the plant out at 40 celsius?
Reply 13
Enzymes get denatured and the plant stops photosynthesising as effectively as before; but not sure. I thought it was to do with the vacuole 'bursting' or something and the leaf shrivelling up and dieing but not sure on that either.
what about the mitosis meiosis question?
Reply 15
Hi i did it and didnt get that maleria question atall, what other questions did you find hard? what was an answer to the advantage of battery chickens?

The malaria question was very specific, the merozoites enter red blood cells and turn into shizonts which burst the cells causing fever (that's the shortened version)
Reply 16
Original post by JackS1234567
what about the mitosis meiosis question?

IMG_20150512_221003.jpg
Reply 17
i dont know if I am right but i got the same as marvin but KS2112 has got figures that look more likely to b correct
Reply 18
Original post by JGray99
what did people put for the mutation of the gene for the sickle cell gene?

I had no idea what to put for that question... I was gonna write nothing but then i figured i shud just write something so i just rewrote the question in my own words :')
Reply 19
I didn't know what to puts so I just wrote that the sequence of bases codes for a specific protein so as the sicke cell base sequence had one letter that was different to the normal haemoglobin one it codes for a different protein and thus the shape of the red blood cell changed causing it to become sickle celled. I'm not sure if this is write though 😢

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending