The Student Room Group

AQA TRIUMPH OF ELIZABETH HIS3B 8th JUNE 2015

Just wondering if anyone is finding this unit as hard as I am. Not looking forward to the exam. Any predictions for what might come up?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frankielle222
Just wondering if anyone is finding this unit as hard as I am. Not looking forward to the exam. Any predictions for what might come up?

No I am finding it difficult also. A lot of other forums have had predictions but I am too scared to go with them! Good Luck ! :h:
Original post by amyemclean
No I am finding it difficult also. A lot of other forums have had predictions but I am too scared to go with them! Good Luck ! :h:

Yea I have seen them but I am a little sceptical although I am hoping for religious settlement and rebellion during Mary and Edward. Terrified of Parliament and Ministers though!
Reply 3

Hi I'm not finding it too bad, I just hate foreign policy and it is a lot too remember. My teacher said that succession is likely to come up but not to trust her completely on that one! Foreign policy has came up 2 years in a row now so I really hope that doesn't again but who knows
Original post by Dally905
Hi I'm not finding it too bad, I just hate foreign policy and it is a lot too remember. My teacher said that succession is likely to come up but not to trust her completely on that one! Foreign policy has came up 2 years in a row now so I really hope that doesn't again but who knows

My teacher said foreign policy in later years but every single prediction I have seen has been different!
Reply 5
My teacher said foreign policy in later years but every single prediction I have seen has been different!

If it's the Armada then that'll be ok I suppose
Reply 6
Im not looking forward to this exam at all its probably going to be my worst exam! I hate Elizabeth's reign there's so much to remember ffs
Reply 7
Structuring essays is just hard. Last year was ok because it was 12 markers and 24 markers and I knew 24 markers was like 3 key factors with an introduction and conclusion (and at least there was some consistency with what the questions were). This year the test for flexibility is a right pain. I think I know a topic and 5 minutes into attempting a question I realise I'm ****ed. The timing is awful too. I feel like I've absolutely raked up an argument and check the clock and I have about 10 minutes left to squeeze in two more arguments and a conclusion argh.
I actually prefer this exam structure to last years because there is more flexibility with content and the questions are more open imo. I think Elizabeth+Religion will make an appearance, perhaps Mid-Tudor rebellion and something to do with governance. I would probably avoid the last one, not so keen on parliament/ministers. FP is okay but the wording of previous questions has thrown me off a bit.
Are people learning FP for EVI+MI? My teacher tells us to but I figure because its not in the book it won't be necessary and there is enough content to remember without adding extra from different books.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by edgarcats
I actually prefer this exam structure to last years because there is more flexibility with content and the questions are more open imo. I think Elizabeth+Religion will make an appearance, perhaps Mid-Tudor rebellion and something to do with governance. I would probably avoid the last one, not so keen on parliament/ministers. FP is okay but the wording of previous questions has thrown me off a bit.
Are people learning FP for EVI+MI? My teacher tells us to but I figure because its not in the book it won't be necessary and there is enough content to remember without adding extra from different books.

Foreign policy of Edward and Mary isn't on the spec. Good to use as contextual evidence and knowing a few stats is useful but they can't ask us a synoptic question on Foreign Policy spreading the full 1547-1603 period because of that. Not v. much anyway, mostly on affairs in Scotland during Edward's reign and then a bit on Calais for Mary.
I so hope it's a decent paper!
Anglo-Spanish relations between 1558-1585 has come up in the last 3 years and they will always seem to change the factor, like impact of war in netherlands, overseas trade etc. in the question, so maybe that may come up again, or maybe it will focus on the end of Elizabeth's reign?
How does everyone structure their anwsers please? We've had little advice on this and it's quite important! Thanks
Reply 13
Do you think they could do a question on the puritans and their threat as they have done one on Catholic missionaries before?
Original post by Kav123
Do you think they could do a question on the puritans and their threat as they have done one on Catholic missionaries before?

I have a feeling that threat from Protestants to the settlement or threat in general to the settlement will be on (or at least I hope so!)
Reply 15
anyone else revised this exam the least out of their A2s?? the only things im good at are Edward & Mary aswell as elizabeth religion and ministers, any chances these will turn up????
Original post by Freestyle29
How does everyone structure their anwsers please? We've had little advice on this and it's quite important! Thanks

We haven't had a straight forward structuring model either. But typically we tend to follow:
1. Introduction - typically defining key words in the question, general bit of info and a definite line of argument that needs to be referred to continuously throughout your essay.
2. Point, Evidence, Analysis (4 times so 4 different points either supporting or disagreeing with the quote or whatever)
3. Conclusion - line of argument usually with a historian's quote. Our teacher also said to quote historiography throughout (although that is not specifically asked for for high marks on the mark scheme) and apparently writing a 'what if' statement at the end is A* quality. E.g. what if Spain had won the Armada?
Hope it helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

There are three basics options in terms of structure:
1). By factors (E.G. religion/social/political, etc)
2) By time (E.G. 1st 1/3rd of Elizabeth/ 2/3 / 3/3)
3) YES/NO, wherein you do a paragraph saying yes to the statement within the questions, followed by a paragraph saying no, etc

I personally prefer the first option because I feel like my ideas are more clearly presented, I naturally use more precise/well-selected evidence, etc.

For instance: "In the years 1547-1558 English government was at its most effective during the rule of Mary I." How valid is this assessment? (June 2010)

I would answer in terms of the factors of religion/social+domestic/political/foreign policy. Naturally these factors all link together as some events are not just the result of one factor, e.g. Wyatt's rebellion was partly political because some nobles/gentry worried that the Spanish would take positions at court, partly result of econ/social factors, partly FP. By showing these links, you automatically make a more sophisticated argument and it will lead you to a more analytical conclusion wherein you link different factors across the Mid-Tudor period.
Hopefully that was helpful. I usually interweave historical interpretation to support evidence and the points I'm making as it always has to be concise and relevant.
Brilliant thanks both of you! Also how balanced do you tend to make your essays? Our class was taught a very clear line of argument and then briefly touch on the other side at the end, whilst the other class at my school who have a different teacher were taught to alternate between agree, disagree etc
Brilliant thanks both of you! Also how balanced do you tend to make your essays? Our class was taught a very clear line of argument and then briefly touch on the other side at the end, whilst the other class at my school who have a different teacher were taught to alternate between agree, disagree etc

I tend to do the former as the exam board say they mark based off the development of your argument so I try to maintain a very clear line of argument. I think balance comes from showing understanding of other arguments, but I usually go on to undermine these by showing their weakness/how the other argument is stronger. The examiners want to see independent judgement in the conclusion.
AQA actually say in the mark scheme that "students should offer evaluations which draw on a balance of arguments". Relatively easy to do with factors as you just say how they link/much factor is more important. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending