The Student Room Group

COLD WAR HISTORY EXAM 8th June!

Hey guys. My A Level history exam is next week Monday (8th June) and k feel so unprepared. Anyone else doing Cold War and want to help me on how to revise and any useful websites, videos etc? PLEASE HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, totally ****ting it for the exam too but I think (end of) Detente and Arms Race might come up, so try and learn those the best.
I've covered detente by making a timeline of detente and key info like what helsinki accords contained and what SALT 1 contained etc etc.
I've then categorised what brought about the end of detente (that being ussr invasion of afghan which is probably the most significant) then the failures of SALT like both superpowers contradicting detente such as usa developing MIRVs+ carter launching trident and USSR violating basket 3 of helsinki, ussr taking third world countries to its advantage and their style of adventurism- which links with the contradicting nature of detente, brezhnev's health was also declining which meant negotiation was weak and it gave an advantage for neo conservatives such as brezyinski to influence carter more and obviously regean and thatcher coming to power in 1979-80. But afghan war was most significant because it was basically a proxy war and you can't have detente whilst both superpowers are in a proxy war, also carter like removed SALT 2 from the senate, stopped trade of grain and tech and increased military spending on arms. So yeah detente pretty much died in 1980.

Then obviously the factors of how detente was a success well it's pretty much just the summits and negotiations and the arm limits etc etc, that bit's easy to do.
Also look at the needs of the USA and USSR. US wanted out of vietnam + their economy was stagnating and USSR economy was completely **** and they couldn't afford to concentrate their money on arms and military.

Sorry for probably the million spelling mistakes I just made but do the same thing for arms race, get the key information and significant events and make a timeline. But remember in the section A exam to ALWAYS link everything you make to the question.

Section B I feel pretty ****ed on because edexcel is an asswipe exam board but if I do any further revision etc I'll post it on here.
Hope it helps.

pss// edexcel revision notes/ the edexcel revision textbook will do you amazing help. Or the CNN documentary which is on youtube.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by calxb
Hey, totally ****ting it for the exam too but I think (end of) Detente and Arms Race might come up, so try and learn those the best.
I've covered detente by making a timeline of detente and key info like what helsinki accords contained and what SALT 1 contained etc etc.
I've then categorised what brought about the end of detente (that being ussr invasion of afghan which is probably the most significant) then the failures of SALT like both superpowers contradicting detente such as usa developing MIRVs+ carter launching trident and USSR violating basket 3 of helsinki, ussr taking third world countries to its advantage and their style of adventurism- which links with the contradicting nature of detente, brezhnev's health was also declining which meant negotiation was weak and it gave an advantage for neo conservatives such as brezyinski to influence carter more and obviously regean and thatcher coming to power in 1979-80. But afghan war was most significant because it was basically a proxy war and you can't have detente whilst both superpowers are in a proxy war, also carter like removed SALT 2 from the senate, stopped trade of grain and tech and increased military spending on arms. So yeah detente pretty much died in 1980.

Then obviously the factors of how detente was a success well it's pretty much just the summits and negotiations and the arm limits etc etc, that bit's easy to do.
Also look at the needs of the USA and USSR. US wanted out of vietnam + their economy was stagnating and USSR economy was completely **** and they couldn't afford to concentrate their money on arms and military.

Sorry for probably the million spelling mistakes I just made but do the same thing for arms race, get the key information and significant events and make a timeline. But remember in the section A exam to ALWAYS link everything you make to the question.

Section B I feel pretty ****ed on because edexcel is an asswipe exam board but if I do any further revision etc I'll post it on here.
Hope it helps.

pss// edexcel revision notes/ the edexcel revision textbook will do you amazing help. Or the CNN documentary which is on youtube.

Thank you so much. That helps a lot. Have you written any essays that you could attach on here or copy and paste? That's my weakest point and you seem to know a lot more than me or my teacher Lool and what you are saying makes a lot of sense and could save me from failing :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by mserwaah123
Thank you so much. That helps a lot. Have you written any essays that you could attach on here or copy and paste? That's my weakest point and you seem to know a lot more than me or my teacher Lool and what you are saying makes a lot of sense and could save me from failing :frown:

I handwrite all my essays but my idea of structure is just use the strongest evidence first, then in the other paragraphs link all the other factors and their significance to the question. Then in your conclusion come to a clear judgement about what factor most links into the question. Make it v clear.
Also in the introduction talk about all the factors, make it your plan basically if that makes sense.
Happy to of helped.
Reply 4
Original post by calxb
I handwrite all my essays but my idea of structure is just use the strongest evidence first, then in the other paragraphs link all the other factors and their significance to the question. Then in your conclusion come to a clear judgement about what factor most links into the question. Make it v clear.
Also in the introduction talk about all the factors, make it your plan basically if that makes sense.
Happy to of helped.

I need a bit of help calculating UMS marks and raw marks etc. Last year I got a C overall in history 136/200 UMS marks. I got 64/100 in unit 1 and 72/100 in unit 2, which gave me a C in unit 1 and a B in unit 2. Could you please tell me how many UMS marks and raw marks I need to get this year in order to get an A in history overall? Thank you in advance!
Reply 5
I need a bit of help calculating UMS marks and raw marks etc. Last year I got a C overall in history 136/200 UMS marks. I got 64/100 in unit 1 and 72/100 in unit 2, which gave me a C in unit 1 and a B in unit 2. Could you please tell me how many UMS marks and raw marks I need to get this year in order to get an A in history overall? Thank you in advance!

I wouldn't worry about UMS scores, they're irrelevant to you actually doing your exam.

184 UMS.
Reply 7
Original post by SuperSah
184 UMS.

Thank you so much!
Reply 8
Thank you so much!

Do you know how many marks that is in raw marks?
So scared for this exam!!😭😭
People keeps saying the arms race is going to come up.

They've already asked in the past whether it was stabilising or not, ect - what else could they ask???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FayeBailey
So scared for this exam!!😭😭
People keeps saying the arms race is going to come up.

They've already asked in the past whether it was stabilising or not, ect - what else could they ask???

Posted from TSR Mobile

I imagine it'd be similar. The Arms Race is relatively short as a topic and there's not too much in the way in which they can actually ask us.

If it does come up, I'd bet it will be related to the Cuban Missile Crisis as potentially being the key development of the arms race, then we'd argue something else.

I'm just mindlessly speculating.

What controversy are you guys doing? I'm doing the end, I find it has more substance to it than the start.
Reply 11
I imagine it'd be similar. The Arms Race is relatively short as a topic and there's not too much in the way in which they can actually ask us.

If it does come up, I'd bet it will be related to the Cuban Missile Crisis as potentially being the key development of the arms race, then we'd argue something else.

I'm just mindlessly speculating.

What controversy are you guys doing? I'm doing the end, I find it has more substance to it than the start.

Detente and Arms Race should defo come up unless edexcel decide to be a bitch and change the pattern (Which i really hope doesn't happen)
but why detente ended hasn't come up yet, so my guess is that will come up.
I'm doing the end of cold war because honestly I can't remember the beginning of cold war hahaha
Okay thank you
What factors would you talk about for why did detente end??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thank you
What factors would you talk about for why did detente end??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say economic inbalances, Helsinki violations, Brezhnev's health, Carter, Reagan and Thatcher, Afghan Invasion, SALT II and Carter's build up.

Stuff like that.
Hey, do you think I should just focus on the end of the Cold War then for the sources question? I understand that more than the start. But what are the chances of not understanding the sources/question? Would the question likely be 'was ____ the reason for the end of the Cold War?' ? Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Rebekahnk
Hey, do you think I should just focus on the end of the Cold War then for the sources question? I understand that more than the start. But what are the chances of not understanding the sources/question? Would the question likely be 'was ____ the reason for the end of the Cold War?' ? Thanks :biggrin:

I'm doing the end only too, it's easier to revise. The stated factor will be one of the key reasons such as popular protest, Reagan's policies, Gorbachev, Moral Bankruptcy and so forth.

As long as you know how to answer sources you should be OK as I find you can always twist an argument. For example, all the papers I have done I have gone from "not economics, but Gorbachev!" and so forth.

In fact, a lot of colleges teach just one controversy and lightly touch on the other. :smile:
I'm doing the end only too, it's easier to revise. The stated factor will be one of the key reasons such as popular protest, Reagan's policies, Gorbachev, Moral Bankruptcy and so forth.

As long as you know how to answer sources you should be OK as I find you can always twist an argument. For example, all the papers I have done I have gone from "not economics, but Gorbachev!" and so forth.

In fact, a lot of colleges teach just one controversy and lightly touch on the other. :smile:

Thanks! You've just given me a boost of happiness haha, the start of the Cold War is so boring, and to be quite honest, my teacher is quite bad :frown:
I would say economic inbalances, Helsinki violations, Brezhnev's health, Carter, Reagan and Thatcher, Afghan Invasion, SALT II and Carter's build up.

Stuff like that.

Thanks so much!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rebekahnk
Thanks! You've just given me a boost of happiness haha, the start of the Cold War is so boring, and to be quite honest, my teacher is quite bad :frown:

I'm only learning the end of the CW aswell, I find it so much easier!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm only learning the end of the CW aswell, I find it so much easier!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:biggrin:! It seems so much more straight forward compared to the start!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending