The Student Room Group

Is this acceptable?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by napkinsquirrel
Rather disingenuous, no? The aim of a discussion is to change my views of a topic based upon a reasoned discussion, something you have not yet provided.

This is hilarious! You've already proven your inability to articulate the point, but lets do it again anyway...

Tell me specifically the types of clothes which you think increase the chances of rape?
Original post by Heliosphan
This is hilarious! You've already proven your inability to articulate the point, but lets do it again anyway...

Tell me specifically the types of clothes which you think increase the chances of rape?

I didn't say increases the chance of rape occurring, I said that it increases the wearer of certain clothes chances of being prioritised as a victim. Such clothes might be revealing clothes or clothes which are assumed to be easy to remove. Your insistence that I somehow am unable to communicate my argument baffles me; at what point did you deduce this?
I didn't say increases the chance of rape occurring, I said that it increases the wearer of certain clothes chances of being prioritised as a victim. Such clothes might be revealing clothes or clothes which are assumed to be easy to remove. Your insistence that I somehow am unable to communicate my argument baffles me; at what point did you deduce this?

Please define 'revealing clothes' in the context of reducing instances of rape. In other words, what clothes are you going to tell a woman to avoid wearing? Should we be telling women to shun high-heels in favour of trainers so that they can flee their assailant?

Also, this statement below makes absolutely no sense, yet you're scratching your head as to why I don't think you're able to articulate yourself clearly.

"I didn't say increases the chance of rape occurring, I said that it increases the wearer of certain clothes chances of being prioritised as a victim"

Bizarre.
Please define 'revealing clothes' in the context of reducing instances of rape. In other words, what clothes are you going to tell a woman to avoid wearing? Should we be telling women to shun high-heels in favour of trainers so that they can flee their assailant?

Also, this statement below makes absolutely no sense, yet you're scratching your head as to why I don't think you're able to articulate yourself clearly.

"I didn't say increases the chance of rape occurring, I said that it increases the wearer of certain clothes chances of being prioritised as a victim"

You want me to list every item of clothing? I'm an engineer not a f*cking fashionista. Very short skirts spring to mind - a very prevalent example in modern media but specific examples don't even matter; anything that falls under the subcategories of revealing and easy to remove is what might be regarded as inadvisable to wear.

http://www.ripleycounty.com/sheriff/rape.htm

Point no. 2 for perusal at your leisure.
(edited 8 years ago)
You want me to list every item of clothing? I'm an engineer not a f*cking fashionista. Very short skirts spring to mind - a very prevalent example in modern media but specific examples don't even matter; anything that falls under the subcategories of revealing and easy to remove is what might be regarded as inadvisable to wear.

http://www.ripleycounty.com/sheriff/rape.htm

Point no. 2 for perusal at your leisure.

Yes please, I want you to list every item of clothing. I think it's important that you do because, remember, you're telling women how they can avoid rape.

So when you say 'very short skirt' is that pretty much any skirt above the knee? Why would you not include a tight skirt, irrespective of length, which shows off the girls' backside? Also 'easy to remove', that could mean literally any skirt or dress couldn't it?

Are you saying that the Uk could reduce it's instances of rape if women stick to jeans or trousers?
Yes please, I want you to list every item of clothing. I think it's important that you do because, remember, you're telling women how they can avoid rape.

Do women not have brains? Are they incapable of independent thought? Can they not determine what constitutes revealing or easy to remove for themselves?

So when you say 'very short skirt' is that pretty much any skirt above the knee? Why would you not include a tight skirt, irrespective of length, which shows off the girls' backside? Also 'easy to remove', that could mean literally any skirt or dress couldn't it?

It is what it is; a very short skirt. Can women not tell what a very short skirt is by using their own fashion knowledge?

Are you saying that the Uk could reduce it's instances of rape if women stick to jeans or trousers?

Jeans and trousers fall under the subcategory of not revealing and hard to remove so yes, they probably would reduce the likelihood of the wearer being selected as a victim on a night out or in sparsely populated areas at night.

A rapist claims that most other rapists go for easy targets; women wearing easy to remove clothing and carry scissors to cut clothing off. Therefore, a theoretical campaign would advise women to wear difficult to remove or revealing clothing, it's not hard to grasp.

Your reply reeks of bait though; you've said the same stuff in your previous posts and I've responded in the same way every time. If you are just going to argue semantics there is no point in replying; you are not adding anything to the discussion.
Reply 27
This is a campaign to raise personal awareness in order to reduce opportunistic crime. You can see it working for some people.

Would a campaign advocating some kind of dress code for women actually reduce instances of rape? If so, precisely what type of clothing would it advise against?

There is a common argument that a girl in revealing clothes, walking alone, very drunk, in a less-than-desirable area, late at night, increases her chance of being raped, and, therefore, a suggestion to reduce her chance of being raped would be not to do such a thing.

The parallel here is 'victim blaming' which the OP draws attention to. In the case of crime prevention advice to prevent housebreaking or ID theft, it is considered good advice, though it is often seen as sexist, or infringement on rights when regarding rape.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending