The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by ThatPerson
I haven't done any FP3 papers yet so I don't know how this is treated in papers, but I was doing an Integration by Reduction question from the book (Q2 Ex4F) there is a point that I want to clarify.

The first line of the question states that In=1ex(lnx)n dx I_n = \int^{e}_{1} x (\ln x)^n \ dx , nN n \in \mathbb{N} . Now I looked on Edexcel's specification, and their definition of the natural numbers does not include zero ie it is the set {1,2,3,....} \{1,2,3,....\} .

Then in part (a) the reduction formula is In=e22n2In1 I_n = \frac{e^2}{2} - \frac{n}{2} I_{n-1} , with the condition n1 n \geq 1 . My problem is that this allows I0 I_0 , when this isn't allowed by the definition of In I_n . The second part of the question is to find I4 I_4 , and obviously you can find I1 I_1 , but I0 I_0 is preferable. In the solutions they do use the latter. In an exam situation would they always use I1 I_1 , and would you therefore lose marks for using I0 I_0 ?

I might be being unbelievably picky, but I would hate to lose marks for something so minor.

I0 is allowed ...
Original post by TeeEm
I0 is allowed ...

But nNn \in \mathbb{N} ? and 0 is not an element of that set?
Reply 102
But nNn \in \mathbb{N} ? and 0 is not an element of that set?

perhaps I am wrong but you may have a "misconception" ...
n cannot be zero
but I0 can be produced
Original post by TeeEm
perhaps I am wrong but you may have a "misconception" ...
n cannot be zero
but I0 can be produced

Oh right. I understand.
Reply 104
Oh right. I understand.

no worries
Reply 106
I haven't done any FP3 papers yet so I don't know how this is treated in papers, but I was doing an Integration by Reduction question from the book (Q2 Ex4F) there is a point that I want to clarify.

The first line of the question states that In=1ex(lnx)n dx I_n = \int^{e}_{1} x (\ln x)^n \ dx , nN n \in \mathbb{N} . Now I looked on Edexcel's specification, and their definition of the natural numbers does not include zero ie it is the set {1,2,3,....} \{1,2,3,....\} .

Then in part (a) the reduction formula is In=e22n2In1 I_n = \frac{e^2}{2} - \frac{n}{2} I_{n-1} , with the condition n1 n \geq 1 . My problem is that this allows I0 I_0 , when this isn't allowed by the definition of In I_n . The second part of the question is to find I4 I_4 , and obviously you can find I1 I_1 , but I0 I_0 is preferable. In the solutions they do use the latter. In an exam situation would they always use I1 I_1 , and would you therefore lose marks for using I0 I_0 ?

I might be being unbelievably picky, but I would hate to lose marks for something so minor.

LaTeX posts look rather hilarious on the TSR app, with all the inappropriate :smile: faces
When finding the line of intersection between 2 planes:
Is there any difference between:
- finding a point of intersection then a normal vector perpendicular to both planes
-or finding the Cartesian equations of both planes, subbing one into the other, letting x=lambda, then finding y and z in terms of lambda?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abel Demoz
I haven't seen any FP3 threads so I thought I'd just start one.

How's revision going? How are people doing with past papers? Which topics are you finding most difficult? Feel free to post any questions, and hopefully someone will be able to help.

Edexcel FP3 - Monday 24th June 2015

Hopefully this thread will motivate us all, and help us to achieve the grades we deserve.

Useful Links
Specification - http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...hs_Issue_3.pdf
Forumlae Booklet - http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...cal-Tables.pdf
Offical Past Papers - http://www.mathspapers.co.uk/edexcel.html

Examsolutions - www.examsolutions.net
Maths247 - www.m4ths.com
Question Booklets/Past Papers - http://www.madasmaths.com

Gold/Silver/Bronze Papers - http://mathstallis.weebly.com/past-papers.html

If you have any other websites you'd like to add, post them below and i'll edit this post.

I'm pretty sure the Edexcel FP3 exam is on the 22nd June (which happens to be a Monday)... just don't want anyone to get confused, as I just did, or turn up on the wrong day! :tongue: (Sorry, someone had to point it out)
Reply 109
Original post by BP_Tranquility
When finding the line of intersection between 2 planes:
Is there any difference between:
- finding a point of intersection then a normal vector perpendicular to both planes
-or finding the Cartesian equations of both planes, subbing one into the other, letting x=lambda, then finding y and z in terms of lambda?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't do the second method unless you were very confident with it and it was easier than the standard first method

Posted from TSR Mobile
'Reduce A to a diagonal matrix.' Why can't you just find the eigenvalues of A - let these be a, b and c, and put...

(a 0 0)
(0 b 0)
(0 0 c)

?

I know how to do it the long way, it's just... it's just painful... :frown:
Original post by Elcor
I wouldn't do the second method unless you were very confident with it and it was easier than the standard first method

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
Original post by Emmi12345
'Reduce A to a diagonal matrix.' Why can't you just find the eigenvalues of A - let these be a, b and c, and put...

(a 0 0)
(0 b 0)
(0 0 c)

?

I know how to do it the long way, it's just... it's just painful... :frown:

isn't that in the mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
isn't that in the mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is? Hahaha oops silly me :biggrin:
(You must be really fed up with my stupid questions... :colondollar:)
Reply 114
Original post by Emmi12345
It is? Hahaha oops silly me :biggrin:
(You must be really fed up with my stupid questions... :colondollar:)

No I wasn't being condescending!! I was just surprised it wasn't in the mark scheme, assuming that you'd read it and seen that wasn't shows as a viable method. I don't know where the question's from :redface:
Reply 115
Original post by Elcor
Yeah. 270/300 from your top 3 A2 modules and 480/600 overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hello! would M2 and S2 count as A2 modules ? my total in them is 189 ums. So does this mean i only need 82 ums in fp2 to get A* ???
Reply 116
Original post by rachu
hello! would M2 and S2 count as A2 modules ? my total in them is 189 ums. So does this mean i only need 82 ums in fp2 to get A* ???

81 UMS in FP2 would get you an A* :smile:
I want a hard paper, not easy like fp2 today, i want ums to forgive me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118
Original post by physicsmaths
I want a hard paper, not easy like fp2 today, i want ums to forgive me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you think you got in FP2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They haven;t asked any challenging vector questions yet... which in a way is scary as they have the potential to be challenging...

Actually, is it just me or do all the units in FP3 have the potential to have super hard questions but nothing too hard has been asked yet.. seems like a bomb ticking haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending