The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
St Peter's and/or Regents Park College.

Peter's is open

http://www.spc.ox.ac.uk/content/open-days

And so is Regent's

http://www.rpc.ox.ac.uk/courses/open-days-and-access/

(Regent's may even offer you lunch if you contact them in advance).
Original post by antigone-
History and Politics, what course did you get an offer for?
It sounds lovely, I haven't been but it looks like a really pretty college. I don't know how I would feel about living out though, would the Uni help you find somewhere?

I have a Philosophy and Theology offer. I met one of the history tutors at the post offer day and they seemed really nice, another plus of Regent's is that you get to know most of the tutors in the college, instead of just your subject, which I think is quite nice (thought obviously I'm a bit biased :tongue:)
From what I've heard the college help you, as well as the students in the year above who are living out when you're figuring out where to go - I'll have to start looking into that soon after arriving so I can let you know in October (grades assuming!)
Original post by Naomi12
I have a Philosophy and Theology offer. I met one of the history tutors at the post offer day and they seemed really nice, another plus of Regent's is that you get to know most of the tutors in the college, instead of just your subject, which I think is quite nice (thought obviously I'm a bit biased :tongue:)
From what I've heard the college help you, as well as the students in the year above who are living out when you're figuring out where to go - I'll have to start looking into that soon after arriving so I can let you know in October (grades assuming!)

Haha thank you - best of luck and well done :smile:
Reply 843
Compared to other colleges, how hard is it to get Univ for medicine? What college has the most meddies/ has the largest meddie intake?

What made you choose Univ? What other colleges were you considering and why? What are the pros/ cons of being in Univ?

Thank you! :smile:
GCSE grades: 5A* 5A 2B
A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I'm aiming for A*aab (b in chemistry and I'm doing the whole maths a level this year). Then next I want to be predicted A*A*(dropping chemistry lol)
Course: Computer Science
College: No idea yet
Original post by lucyx
Hey everyone :smile:
I'd love to apply to Oxford for History, but who knows what results day will bring :redface:
GCSEs: 11A*s
AS Levels: History, RS, Latin, French and German (not sure which ones I'll keep for A2) and going to do the EPQ
Tbh, not really sure if Oxford would be for me. I know there's no stereotypical Oxford student, but I'm not at all competitive and perhaps just too nice/immature/naïve for such a competitive university? :colondollar: (if that makes sense...!)

Yay, the History applicants are finally coming out of the woodwork! I want to apply for history too :smile: I also want to do EPQ - what do you want to do yours on?

As for competitiveness etc, probably best to avoid the really stereotypically competitive colleges, but generally I get the impression there are as many people who aren't like that as there are who are :smile: I hope so anyway! What colleges are you thinking?

Good luck with your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lifescomplexity
Yay, the History applicants are finally coming out of the woodwork! I want to apply for history too :smile: I also want to do EPQ - what do you want to do yours on?

As for competitiveness etc, probably best to avoid the really stereotypically competitive colleges, but generally I get the impression there are as many people who aren't like that as there are who are :smile: I hope so anyway! What colleges are you thinking?

Good luck with your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going for history too. Or history and politics if I love my AS grades.

About colleges: isn't it irrelevant how competitive the college you apply to is, or have I misunderstood?

I thought that your chances overall were not affected at all by which college you apply to, just your chances of getting into that college.
Is that right?
We should add a poll to see what people are applying for - it'd be interesting to see the general consensus of this thread :smile:
Or maybe even what colleges people have in mind!
Do we have to book these open days? I'm going to one with my school in September
Original post by tilly5798
Do we have to book these open days? I'm going to one with my school in September

For most colleges, you can just turn up on the day. There will be many more open than you will have the stamina to look round - six seems the limit for the average visitor. If you are interested in seeing a particular college - particularly one located outside of the immediate city centre - it might be worth double-checking that they have an open door policy. In a few cases, you may still have to book in advance.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
For most colleges, you can just turn up on the day. There will be many more open than you will have the stamina to look round - six seems the limit for the average visitor. If you are interested in seeing a particular college - particularly one located outside of the immediate city centre - it might be worth double-checking that they have an open door policy. In a few cases, you may still have to book in advance.

Do you know just how far you have to come in order to qualify for accommodation? I will be coming from the South West, so it's not a million miles away but it would be really handy to find somewhere to stay.
Original post by MouseyBrown
Do you know just how far you have to come in order to qualify for accommodation? I will be coming from the South West, so it's not a million miles away but it would be really handy to find somewhere to stay.

Oxford has divided England, Wales, and Northern Ireland into "Link Regions" and the colleges are given 1 or 2 regions each to lead on schools liaison. One of our Link Regions is North Yorkshire and for the July Open Days we work with schools that are currently under-represented in Oxford and invite them to send visitors who we then accommodate. About 70 students stay overnight with us & we offer dinner and breakfast. Of course, these students then visit lots of other colleges and departments in Oxford - which we are, of course, cool with. We likewise get students visiting us from all over the UK (and overseas) during each Open Day - most people take a look at some point at Radcliffe Square which is where we are located.

To discover which college takes the lead in your Link Region click on this link:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/open-days-outreach/events-students-teachers/resources-teachers/link-colleges

You can then contact them and ask if any accommodation is available. It may well be Exeter - which is next door to us.

And for more information about Brasenose's Open Day arrangements click here
https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/about-brasenose/news/1383-brasenose-open-days-come-and-visit

And for some general advice on choosing a college
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/colleges/choosing-a-college
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Oxford has divided England, Wales, and Northern Ireland into "Link Regions" and the colleges are given 1 or 2 regions each to lead on schools liaison. One of our Link Regions is North Yorkshire and for the July Open Days we work with schools that are under-represented in Oxford and invite them to send visitors who we then accommodate. About 70 students stay overnight with us & we offer dinner and breakfast. Of course, these students then visit lots of other colleges and departments in Oxford - which we are, of course, cool with. We likewise get students visiting us from all over the UK (and overseas) during each Open Day - most people take a look at some point at Radcliffe Square which is where we are located.

To discover which college takes the lead in your Link Region click on this link:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/open-days-outreach/events-students-teachers/resources-teachers/link-colleges

You can then contact them and ask if any accommodation is available. It may well be Exeter - which is next door to us.

And for more information about Brasenose's Open Day arrangements click here
https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/about-brasenose/news/1383-brasenose-open-days-come-and-visit

And for some general advice on choosing a college
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/colleges/choosing-a-college

Thanks a lot. Sorry, though, I'm being lazy and could no doubt find all this out with a phone call.....but I'm a home student so nothing to do with any school.

Does that change anything? The link goes to a schools liaison officer.

Thanks.
Original post by MouseyBrown
Thanks a lot. Sorry, though, I'm being lazy and could no doubt find all this out with a phone call.....but I'm a home student so nothing to do with any school.

Does that change anything? The link goes to a schools liaison officer.

Thanks.

Home schooling shouldn't make a difference. The Schools Liaison Officers organise the college Open Days and should be able to advise. PM me if you need assistance though.
Original post by SLMS
Compared to other colleges, how hard is it to get Univ for medicine? What college has the most meddies/ has the largest meddie intake?

All the colleges are equally hard for admission to medicine: admissions decisions are made by the department not the college.

You can find the number of medic places on each college's website. Most seem to have about 4-6 places, but there is a big range.
Original post by thechemistress
I'm most likely not applying to Oxford (Cambridge gal over here :wink: ) but I might as well answer some of these xD

1. If you don't mind saying, what is your real first name?
My real (well, my preferred) first name is Suzy.

2. What are your hobbies of the sort that you really can't put on the personal statement?
Hmmm. There's a lot of hobbies that I have that would seem weird to mention on my personal statement. I'm a casual dancer, in that I watch loads of choreographed dances on YouTube and then teach myself the choreography. I do a lot of walking and exploring, read quite a lot and I'm a serial TV watcher :lol: I also write a few movie reviews on my blog- or if they're not good enough to be published, just in my journal. And I listen to a lottttt of K-Pop- I spend a lot of time on it.

3. Most surreal thing you have ever done?
Can't say I've really done anything surreal tbh :lol: I feel that my life is lacking in that respect xD

4. Any particularly eccentric academic interests (not "I love Earth Sciences". Or history, or maths. Things that aren't your subject.)
Not eccentric, but I absolutely adore languages- I'd love to have enough time to learn a load of new languages. Summer plans maybe? :wink:

5. Favourite Harry Potter character?
Probably Fred and George- they seem pretty chill and down to have a good time.

6. Best thing to combine with peanut butter?
Nothing BECAUSE IT'S DISGUSTING

7. Opinions on Gangnam Style?
Annoying because people assume that it's what all of K-Pop is like, which it really isn't. Soooo many better artists under YG- Try Bigbang or 2NE1

8. Who on the thread would you like to have children with?
Nobody :lol: since I don't really know anybody on here xD

9. Tea or coffee?
Neither. Hot beverages should be illegal. And yes, that includes hot chocolate.

10. Favourite TSR smiley?
:lol: I over use it xD :lol:

11. How do you prove that the real numbers are uncountable? And why is this proof like skiing/Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged from Douglas Adams?

I'm not even going to attempt to word and explanation to that question :lol:

Oh yay a fellow kpop fan!! PS I'm half Korean so I had to hear about Gangnam Style for twice as long. Excited about BigBang's new MV coming out? ^-^
Original post by PerlaDeSabiduría
Oh yay a fellow kpop fan!! PS I'm half Korean so I had to hear about Gangnam Style for twice as long. Excited about BigBang's new MV coming out? ^-^

Hahah, that must have been annoying :lol:
Yesssss, so excited for it :biggrin: Bang Bang was also really good but their new MV is supposed to come out today right?
Original post by SLMS

What made you choose Univ? What other colleges were you considering and why? What are the pros/ cons of being in Univ?

Your chances of getting into Univ for Medicine are the same as for getting into any college. The system is set up so that your choice of college won't affect your chances of getting a place. Univ has four medics per year roughly - I'm not sure how large/small that is!

Univ is incredibly friendly and has a very good social atmosphere - although I'm sure you could say the same for most colleges!
From experience visiting other colleges, our Porters are particularly helpful and incredibly kind.

Univ is medium sized, not too large, not too small and owns a lot of the houses on the High Street so is in a good location. Right next to the Exam Schools as well which is good for lectures and exams!

The buildings are pretty, there are always a lot of events and our bar is quite nice. Library is very well-stocked and open 24 hours. We have a pet tortoise who is incredibly cute, and run a lot of access events so there are always opportunities to give tours and talks.

Food is very good and decently priced, and the accommodation is pretty decent - everyone gets a fridge and a sink in their room.

Just generally a nice college, nothing really extreme about it in any regard :smile:
Original post by antigone-
Yet another awkward misconception from me what am i doing
Probably a better question - what were your reasons for applying there? It seems to be known as one of the least pretentious colleges which is good :smile:

2nd Cheapest drinks + 3rd highest number of oxford blues despite being a smaller college + college kittens+free use of the oxford university sports complex+free punts+Catherine Swales as a clinical tutor= Guaranteed application
It's also a nice bonus that it looks like this:
image.jpg
Original post by SLMS

What made you choose Univ? What
other colleges were you considering and why? What are the pros/ cons of being in Univ?

Just gonna contribute my 2 cents, the only difference your college choice makes is at interview stage-where some colleges will focus on your personal statement (e.g new) whilst others will focus on their own prepared questions/questions on a level chem, bio or physics (e.g hildas) or even on the nhs (e.g teddy hall)-depending on whether you're being interviewed by professors or practicing doctors.
Also some colleges give weighting to the bmat post interview, such as St. John's, whereas others don't.

Latest

Trending

Trending