The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Feline_Nymphet
Dat paycheck :cool:

What paycheck?

All that effort for maybe 200k max?

What a joke, people who go into medicine just for money are brain dead, there are a lot better degrees to make money.
Original post by Brubeckian
What paycheck?

What a joke, people who go into medicine just for money are brain dead, there are a lot better degrees to make money.
I've been told that by loads of people and the amount of unpaid for you have to do for experience. I think its all about whether you want to do it for self satisfaction.
Reply 62
Out of curiosity, what degrees ARE best for making good money? That don't require A* and A's but rather B's or C's?
Original post by Brubeckian
What paycheck?

Original post by Zeshaan
Out of curiosity, what degrees ARE best for making good money? That don't require A* and A's but rather B's or C's?

Probably won't have much luck with B/C's at uni, try a trade.
Because they're sadly misinformed and deluded.
Original post by chocolatesauce
im not telling you :tongue: but maybe :colone:

There's an answer inside your reply already :colone:
Excuse the huge generalisation but a large proportion of people want to do it, are you forced by your parents or do you genuinely want to do it? It's a genuine question :smile:

Medicine is a competitive degree to get into, requiring good grades, work experience, social skills etc. Lots of people try and fail to get in, so there's going to be a certain amount of prestige associated with getting in successfully. Once you've got your degree, you have a stable career which is very well paid (compared to the national average).

It's true that there are some professions which are much better paid than medicine, and require much more intelligence, experience and skill to get into and perform. But the thing is, not many people will have heard of them. Those kinds of people usually provide their services to large corporations or governments rather than to members of the public. So when they tell someone from outside their professional world what they do, it won't carry so much prestige. Most people won't know that such a profession requires a high calibre employee, nor will they know exactly how much they earn. Whereas with doctors, pretty much everybody has been to see one, knows exactly who they are and what they do, and their salaries are made quite public too. They get respect from the people they help (especially members of the older generations who have to see them more often), and so "My son/daughter is a doctor" is something that one parent can say to another very proudly. And although people aren't always "forced" by their parents, many do really want to please their parents, or are influenced by them when forming their own opinion of what job would make them successful.

Also, the job of a doctor can be flexible if need be. There are long working hours and night shifts to start off with, but later on people can go part time if they want to, or start doing locums, easily fitting their work around the rest of their lives (kids etc.) They can get a job pretty much anywhere in the country, rather than being confined to major cities. They can choose which days and times to work, rather than being constrained to 9-5 on weekdays. It adjusts very easily to suit one's lifestyle.

The other thing is that, especially amongst people who originate from countries suffering from a lot of poverty, being a doctor has gained a lot of appeal for being a "safe option". After seeing so many people literally starving on the streets, rather than having the ambition to be highly successful, a lot of people have a culturally inherited fear of being poor instead. There are professions which have the potential for huge earnings and lots of prestige e.g. being an actor, but such people often shy away from these professions on the basis that only the very best or luckiest will make it, and the rest will be poor or have no guarantee of work. It's considered too big a risk. Although a doctor is unlikely to ever become a multimillionaire, people think that, at least they're safe from long periods of unemployment and are pretty much always guaranteed a reasonably well paying job, even if they are mediocre. They'll certainly never be impoverished.
Excuse the huge generalisation but a large proportion of people want to do it, are you forced by your parents or do you genuinely want to do it? It's a genuine question :smile:

I go to an academically selective school, where most people go onto top courses. In my year another person and I are the only people who wish to do dentistry. :colonhash:
I simply want to do dentistry for the money - my dentist ( private) charged me 1500 for a root canal
the answer rhymes with honey

Its because when they get ill, they can treat themselves for free, just incase if the NHS becomes private.
Reply 71
Original post by Bill_Gates
forced but i'd say less so for medicine as that career can really test you! i wouldn't personally do medicine for the money when people's lives are at risk.

First reasonable thing you've said. Surprised though, you seem the type to sell your own mother.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
First reasonable thing you've said. Surprised though, you seem the type to sell your own mother.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i love my mum ok. She's priceless brah!

I always say reasonable things, look at my rep brah.
Money money money.
I would not say "a lot", especially for dentistry. I went to a grammar school where the majority of students were asian and they all wanted to do medicine or some sort of science e.g. neurology, radiology etc. Most chose it out of their own free will, but upbringing probably has a large subconscious role.

Dentistry is much rarer though as it's 7 years and many people see it as too niche.
Original post by steph0468
I would not say "a lot", especially for dentistry. I went to a grammar school where the majority of students were asian and they all wanted to do medicine or some sort of science e.g. neurology, radiology etc. Most chose it out of their own free will, but upbringing probably has a large subconscious role.

Dentistry is much rarer though as it's 7 years and many people see it as too niche.

This thread is from 2015 and neurology and radiology are both medical specialties. Also, this thread is from 2015.
Original post by steph0468

Yeh the thread is pretty old. Dentistry is 5 years then another year for training

Latest