The Student Room Group

AQA Further Maths FP1 June 5th 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by a123a
Guys for the gradient questions I just want to clear something up.

Say if the gradient is h+3 and as h tends to zero the gradient of the line PQ tends to the gradient of the curve at point P. Do we then have to say the gradient of the curve at point P is EQUAL to 3, or that gradient of curve at point P tends to 3?

If someone could write a general answer for this I would much appreciate it.

You say that the gradient equals the limit as h tends to 0, and that the limit as h tends to 0 = 3. e.g. m = Limh->0 (h + 3) = 3
Reply 81
Original post by Lau14
You say that the gradient equals the limit as h tends to 0, and that the limit as h tends to 0 = 3. e.g. m = Limh->0 (h + 3) = 3

Thank you!
Oh ok so you can use that way of writing it?(writing 'Lim' with h tending to zero)?
I've seen them write it as sentences in the mark schemes so I wasn't sure if I could write it like that.
Reply 82
Original post by a123a
Thank you!
Oh ok so you can use that way of writing it?(writing 'Lim' with h tending to zero)?
I've seen them write it as sentences in the mark schemes so I wasn't sure if I could write it like that.

Yeah, it's okay to use the shorthand and write Lim with h (arrow) 0 underneath it I think? At least, I've always used this method and my teachers mark it correct on mocks etc so I'd think it's okay, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it in markschemes before :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by Lau14
Yeah, it's okay to use the shorthand and write Lim with h (arrow) 0 underneath it I think? At least, I've always used this method and my teachers mark it correct on mocks etc so I'd think it's okay, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it in markschemes before :smile:

Ok thank you!
Reply 84
Could somebody help with this q? The sum of (r+17) from 1 to 25 is equal to the sum of r from P to Q.Find R and Q.So I worked out the the sum of r+17 is 1500, then I did:1500= 0.5p(p+1) - (0.5q^2 - 0.5q)But because there are 2 variables I am unable to solve..!I checked the answer and it matches my quadratic, but I don't know what the next step is... thanks :smile:
can anyone help me to answer a series question - jan 08 4b :wink: thanks!
also how do you draw the newton raphson diagram? The older mark schemes are so vague :/
Original post by qpqpqpqpqp
also how do you draw the newton raphson diagram? The older mark schemes are so vague :/

I agree. I think you draw a tangent at x1 and when the tangent crosses the x axis (x2) you go veritcally upwards/downwards to the curve and draw another tangent, and where that crosses the x axis will be x3. Youll notice you're getting closer to the root each time.
Original post by Rabadon
I agree. I think you draw a tangent at x1 and when the tangent crosses the x axis (x2) you go veritcally upwards/downwards to the curve and draw another tangent, and where that crosses the x axis will be x3. Youll notice you're getting closer to the root each time.

thanks! would you mind drawing an example so that i could see it?
thanks! would you mind drawing an example so that i could see it?

http://imgur.com/bE97Qxi

heres my paint effort lol
Original post by Rabadon
http://imgur.com/bE97Qxi

heres my paint effort lol

thankyou that makes sense now! :smile:
thankyou that makes sense now! :smile:

no problem, best of luck tomorrow
Reply 92
Original post by azo
Could somebody help with this q? The sum of (r+17) from 1 to 25 is equal to the sum of r from P to Q.Find R and Q.So I worked out the the sum of r+17 is 1500, then I did:1500= 0.5p(p+1) - (0.5q^2 - 0.5q)But because there are 2 variables I am unable to solve..!I checked the answer and it matches my quadratic, but I don't know what the next step is... thanks :smile:

Anybody ? :frown:
Original post by azo
Anybody ? :frown:

Could you screenshot the question instead? Not quite understanding what you are asking.
can anyone help me to answer a series question - jan 08 4b :wink: thanks!

It's because from the form of part a) it the summation can be represented as 1/4*n(n+1)(n+4)(n-3), as n=1000, n+4=1004. Now to make sure that 2008 is a factor, just one other term needs to be even to make sure it is. And as 1000/4 is even then it shows that 2008 is a factor.
Which do you reckon is the hardest FP1 paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fluffehadam
Which do you reckon is the hardest FP1 paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

June 2013&2014 are tricky
can someone explain 7ciii for june 2014 - i got y=tan75x which is wrong but i don't understand the mark scheme?
i did cos^-1(-root3/2) = 150 = 2 theta, so theta = 75?
can someone explain 7ciii for june 2014 - i got y=tan75x which is wrong but i don't understand the mark scheme?
i did cos^-1(-root3/2) = 150 = 2 theta, so theta = 75?

I've just done the same question and got the same thing :s-smilie:
Reply 99
How are you guys revising? I finished all the papers from 2006 so kinda not knowing what to do atm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending