The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
The general equation for the induced emf is:

[br]ϵ=BANωsin(ωt)[br][br]\displaystyle \epsilon = BAN \omega \sin (\omega t)[br]

Due to the nature of the sinusoidal variation in emf (when sin(ωt)=1\displaystyle \sin (\omega t) = 1), its peak value is:

[br]ϵ0=BANω[br][br]\displaystyle \epsilon_0 = BAN \omega[br]

As ω=2πf\displaystyle \omega = 2 \pi f, and flux linkage is equivalent to =BAN\displaystyle = BAN:

Dividing both sides by omega gives the max flux linkage equal to:

[br]BANMax=ϵ0ω[br][br]\displaystyle BAN_{Max} = \dfrac{\epsilon_0}{\omega}[br]

[br]BANMax=ϵ02πf[br][br]\displaystyle \therefore BAN_{Max} = \dfrac{\epsilon_0}{2 \pi f}[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by CD223
The general equation for the induced emf is:

[br]ϵ=BANωsin(ωt)[br][br]\displaystyle \epsilon = BAN \omega \sin (\omega t)[br]

Due to the nature of the sinusoidal variation in emf (when sin(ωt)=1\displaystyle \sin (\omega t) = 1), its peak value is:

[br]ϵ0=BANω[br][br]\displaystyle \epsilon_0 = BAN \omega[br]

As ω=2πf\displaystyle \omega = 2 \pi f, and flux linkage is equivalent to =BAN\displaystyle = BAN:

Dividing both sides by omega gives the max flux linkage equal to:

[br]BANMax=ϵ0ω[br][br]\displaystyle BAN_{Max} = \dfrac{\epsilon_0}{\omega}[br]

[br]BANMax=ϵ02πf[br][br]\displaystyle \therefore BAN_{Max} = \dfrac{\epsilon_0}{2 \pi f}[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by the sinusoidal variation of emf?, is sinwt=1 after one full cycle?
Original post by CD223
Is anyone revising AS stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope they don't bring any AS in the exam :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2482
Original post by TALAKHAN
What do you mean by the sinusoidal variation of emf?, is sinwt=1 after one full cycle?

The emf varies as a sine wave. At its peak, sin(ωt)\sin (\omega t) is at a maximum (ie: it equals 1). This gives the largest possible value of ϵ\epsilon.

The emf is cyclical in nature - it peaks in regular intervals, so there will always be the same amount of time elapsing between peaks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Caz_

Posted from TSR Mobile

They sometimes questions about hookes laws and spring extension

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
It's a uniform electric field so the potential varies linearly.

[br]E=ΔVΔd=2.0V0.6m[br][br]E = \dfrac{\Delta V}{\Delta d} = \dfrac{2.0V}{0.6m}[br]

[br]E=3.33Vm1 (3 sf)[br][br]\Rightarrow E = 3.33 Vm^{-1}\ \text{(3 sf)}[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers, you're a god really. I was confused because I didn't know if it was Delta V or just V, but was doing it in exam conditions so wasnt able to check.
So E would be 2/0.6 as you've said, but would the potential then be 2 at the midpoint?

I can't seem to get the right answer for this one,

I tried using the F = QQ/4piEoR^2 but it doesnt work, why?

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2485
Original post by AR_95
Cheers, you're a god really. I was confused because I didn't know if it was Delta V or just V, but was doing it in exam conditions so wasnt able to check.
So E would be 2/0.6 as you've said, but would the potential then be 2 at the midpoint?

I can't seem to get the right answer for this one,

I tried using the F = QQ/4piEoR^2 but it doesnt work, why?

Yeah the potential would be 2.0V midway between the two as the field is uniform so the same change in potential is observed over equal distances.

In that question it's asking for the gravitational force of attraction. In other words, you'd use:

[br]F=GMpMer2[br][br]\displaystyle F = \dfrac{GM_pM_e}{r^2}[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Yeah the potential would be 2.0V midway between the two as the field is uniform so the same change in potential is observed over equal distances.

In that question it's asking for the gravitational force of attraction. In other words, you'd use:

[br]F=GMpMer2[br][br]\displaystyle F = \dfrac{GM_pM_e}{r^2}[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yet again just me failing to read the question :frown:

I did the same with another part where I used diameter instead of radius, it's going to affect me :s-smilie:

Hopefully all these mistakes is because of the burnout of revising every day, and in the exam i'll do better with a fresh mind lol
Reply 2487
Original post by AR_95
Yet again just me failing to read the question :frown:

I did the same with another part where I used diameter instead of radius, it's going to affect me :s-smilie:

Hopefully all these mistakes is because of the burnout of revising every day, and in the exam i'll do better with a fresh mind lol

Yeah, just read the question twice before attempting it - it takes longer but is more effective :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Caz_

Posted from TSR Mobile

They will do - PHYA4 is a synoptic unit, which means previous content will be tested in it. It's usually only in a very small way (2 marks maybe).
Reply 2489
Original post by Lau14
They will do - PHYA4 is a synoptic unit, which means previous content will be tested in it. It's usually only in a very small way (2 marks maybe).

Personally I think it's really harsh. Other A levels don't test anything from AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Personally I think it's really harsh. Other A levels don't test anything from AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do, actually! Chemistry requires ongoing knowledge to be able to do the A2 stuff, and they do occasionally put in questions that are purely AS based. Maths is obviously constantly building on AS stuff, and apparently biology is absolutely awful for it - because of the essay questions and some other bits, you basically need to know the entire of AS. Almost all subjects do it I think, these are just the ones I know a bit about :smile:
Reply 2491
Original post by Lau14
They do, actually! Chemistry requires ongoing knowledge to be able to do the A2 stuff, and they do occasionally put in questions that are purely AS based. Maths is obviously constantly building on AS stuff, and apparently biology is absolutely awful for it - because of the essay questions and some other bits, you basically need to know the entire of AS. Almost all subjects do it I think, these are just the ones I know a bit about :smile:

Sorry yeah when I said other subjects I basically meant the only others I do :P besides obviously maths, history and computing are totally separate -,-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gcsestuff
They sometimes questions about hookes laws and spring extension

Posted from TSR Mobile

Physics 2 stuff is okay. Physics 1 is where my worry lies. I can't remember anything aside from debroglie wavelength :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2493
Original post by _Caz_
Physics 2 stuff is okay. Physics 1 is where my worry lies. I can't remember anything aside from debroglie wavelength :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol there's not much else I'd assume they could ask you about particle stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How would you answer question 9 on the multiple choice part of the jan 2013 paper
Reply 2495
Original post by SuperMushroom
How would you answer question 9 on the multiple choice part of the jan 2013 paper

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433441793.561546.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Do you have these model answer cards for every multiple choice question?
Original post by CD223
Lol there's not much else I'd assume they could ask you about particle stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

True. Maybe they could put it in the energy mass part of unit 5 though. :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2498
Original post by SuperMushroom
Thanks! Do you have these model answer cards for every multiple choice question?

Nope lol, unfortunately not. When people ask questions on the thread I just quickly grab a pen and paper and post my workings :smile: sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2499
Original post by _Caz_
True. Maybe they could put it in the energy mass part of unit 5 though. :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

I swear that's illegal.

(It's not, but you know what I mean :tongue:)

I think the stress/strain topic is worth revising along with waves from last year as they seem to come up in SHM questions in the past.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending