The Student Room Group

lamarck and darwins theory

could someone please tell me about the theories of both lamarck and darwin seeing as they always come up in the exam. i have the exam tomorrow so could someone please urgently help me. thanks
I've seen giraffes used a lot in past papers where we're asked to explain why they have their long necks.

Darwinism
Charles Darwin was interested in the natural world so he went to sail around the Galapagos Islands During his trip he studies Giant Tortoises and Finches Darwin said that evolution is where all species have evolved from simple life forms like bacteria. The process of evolution occurred through Natural Selection. This if often referredto as the idea of the ‘survival of the fittest’Darwinsaid that if they survive longer, they reproduce more and pass down theirwell-adapted genes. This is natural selection and it causes change in speciesover a long period of time (evolution)TheFinches that Darwin studied in the Galapagos Islands supported his theory asone each different island each Finch had evolved to have different shaped beaksaccording to the food sources available.
Jean-Baptiste Lamarck’s theory of evolution
Lamarck suggested that all organisms were linked by the ‘fountain of life’ Lamarck proposed that all life evolved from primitive worms. He thought that the change in characteristics was due to the inheritance of acquired characteristics Lamarck proposed that each species that developed a useful change during its life time would pass on this useful change to its offspring when it reproduced Lamarck’s theory meant that humans who were good swimmers who developed big shoulder muscles would have children who also inherited enlarged shoulder muscles This theory is not accepted as we clearly don’t inherit characteristics that our parents gained in their lifetimes.
Why Darwin’s theory wasn’t accepted straight away
Other than the small amount of evidence that Darwin was able to acquire in his travels, there wasn’t any conclusive proof so therefore couldn’t be logically accepted for a long time.· The Bible didn’t say anything to support evolution so many people were reluctant to accept the theory Humans didn’t understand much about DNA and inherited vs. environmental factors at this point in history so rather than accepting Darwin’s theory which would have changed their views completely, the theory was dismissed for a long time until biology was more understood and his theory was able to be proven
Reply 2
Original post by lil_miss_awesome
I've seen giraffes used a lot in past papers where we're asked to explain why they have their long necks.

Darwinism
Charles Darwin was interested in the natural world so he went to sail around the Galapagos Islands During his trip he studies Giant Tortoises and Finches Darwin said that evolution is where all species have evolved from simple life forms like bacteria. The process of evolution occurred through Natural Selection. This if often referredto as the idea of the ‘survival of the fittest’Darwinsaid that if they survive longer, they reproduce more and pass down theirwell-adapted genes. This is natural selection and it causes change in speciesover a long period of time (evolution)TheFinches that Darwin studied in the Galapagos Islands supported his theory asone each different island each Finch had evolved to have different shaped beaksaccording to the food sources available.
Jean-Baptiste Lamarck’s theory of evolution
Lamarck suggested that all organisms were linked by the ‘fountain of life’ Lamarck proposed that all life evolved from primitive worms. He thought that the change in characteristics was due to the inheritance of acquired characteristics Lamarck proposed that each species that developed a useful change during its life time would pass on this useful change to its offspring when it reproduced Lamarck’s theory meant that humans who were good swimmers who developed big shoulder muscles would have children who also inherited enlarged shoulder muscles This theory is not accepted as we clearly don’t inherit characteristics that our parents gained in their lifetimes.
Why Darwin’s theory wasn’t accepted straight away
Other than the small amount of evidence that Darwin was able to acquire in his travels, there wasn’t any conclusive proof so therefore couldn’t be logically accepted for a long time.· The Bible didn’t say anything to support evolution so many people were reluctant to accept the theory Humans didn’t understand much about DNA and inherited vs. environmental factors at this point in history so rather than accepting Darwin’s theory which would have changed their views completely, the theory was dismissed for a long time until biology was more understood and his theory was able to be proven

Original post by zulekha zabair
could someone please tell me about the theories of both lamarck and darwin seeing as they always come up in the exam. i have the exam tomorrow so could someone please urgently help me. thanks

science.JPG
Do any of you know how to do this question? Much appreciated :smile:
Original post by b.l
science.JPG

I'm not very good at maths so don't think this is definitely right but personally, I would go about this by finding what % each stage is of the original.
E.g.
What % is 4000 of 42500? (=94%)
What % is 800 of 4000? (=20%)
What % is 150 of 800? (=19%)

Again, I'm not sure if that's right so maybe you could check a mark scheme but that's what I'd do in an exam.
Reply 4
Original post by b.l
science.JPG

A) 4000/42500*100 = 9.41% efficient

B) 800/4000*100 = 20% efficient

C) 150/800*100 = 18.75% efficient
Reply 5
Original post by aadil10

Omgg help me to reviseeee
Reply 6
Original post by User23
Omgg help me to reviseeee

XD I have barely done any, gonna sweat it out tomorrow morning :P
Reply 7
Original post by aadil10
XD I have barely done any, gonna sweat it out tomorrow morning :P

Omgg ur making me even more nervous!! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by User23
Omgg ur making me even more nervous!! :biggrin:

quick, stop talking to me! :P
Reply 9
Original post by aadil10
quick, stop talking to me! :P

lol ok if u wishh xD
Reply 10
Original post by lil_miss_awesome
I'm not very good at maths so don't think this is definitely right but personally, I would go about this by finding what % each stage is of the original.
E.g.
What % is 4000 of 42500? (=94%)
What % is 800 of 4000? (=20%)
What % is 150 of 800? (=19%)

Again, I'm not sure if that's right so maybe you could check a mark scheme but that's what I'd do in an exam.

Thankyou, It was to 1 d.p but you worked it out right :smile:
Original post by aadil10

Thankyou!!:biggrin:
Original post by b.l
Thankyou, It was to 1 d.p but you worked it out right :smile:

Thankyou!!:biggrin:

np :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest