The Student Room Group

How do you believe in a god...?

I have never been able to get my head around this so please can a religious person humour me here;
How can you believe in something with absolutely no proof in any way shape or form?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Soldieroffortune
I have never been able to get my head around this so please can a religious person humour me here;
How can you believe in something with absolutely no proof in any way shape or form?

I like listening to this guy in 'give me an answer', doesn't give all the answers but you do see common questions coming up al the time l:smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoY7csLBtEA
Reply 2
with absolutely no proof in any way shape or form?

We still don't have any proof on how the universe came into existence.
Does that mean we don't exist, hmm?
Reply 3
Well it's really based on faith and acknowledging the things God has done, is doing and will do in you're life, some born again Christians initially began their journey because God had done something for them that was undoubtedly divine intervention no matter how small or big the situation. Or seeking comfort in something that has no limits and it not bound by anything - metaphysical in some aspects. You are also going to see what you wish to see. Therefore, you are going to do what you like, be it seeking God's face (presence) or turning away. But the idea of God has baffled people for centuries - some feel they have all the answers whilst others are confused whilst others just accept it for what it is. Now that's not to say Christianity produces docile conformists who absorb everything with no questions asked; as it is human nature to be curious and some would say Eve is proof of that. But there are going to be some things we do not and cannot understand; it is to be recognised that God isn't something you can just fit in a box, he transcends mere human comprehension and because there are 'gray areas' or 'illogical' aspects they rule out the lack of knowledge because they simply can't understand it and of course anything you don't understand is wrong. There are things in society that provides no solid proof but is widely accepted by society such as intuition - most of us believe that we have some type of sixth sense that gives us a sort of silent guidance. Even with no logical explanation, our 'intuition' provides us with confidence to make decisions based on no true solid proof with logic or reasoning. It's simply a thing whereby there are always going to be anomalies in beliefs that is beyond us.
Reply 4
Original post by Artur96

No, we don't. But does that mean it was 'God'? No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps
Original post by Artur96

The lack of a scientific explanation is not ipso facto proof their is some deity who gives a toss about the workings of everyone never mind that apparently theres hundreds...
Either way somewhat of a straw man arguement no?
Reply 6
The simplistic answer is childhood indoctrination.
The complicated answer is childhood indoctrination plus some other stuff.
Reply 7
Original post by Artur96

This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. We don't know how the universe came to exist, but we can see that it does so it obviouls makes sense to believe in it. There is no evidence for god, so it doesnt make sense to believe in it.
Reply 8
Original post by lucaf
This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. We don't know how the universe came to exist, but we can see that it does so it obviouls makes sense to believe in it. There is no evidence for god, so it doesnt make sense to believe in it.

People can feel the presence of God, so by your logic he does exist.
Reply 9
Original post by Artur96
People can feel the presence of God, so by your logic he does exist.

Some people also claim to feel the presence of ghosts; a bunch of people being either insane or deluded does not constitute evidence.
I believe in Themis. I don't know why though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by lucaf
Some people also claim to feel the presence of ghosts; a bunch of people being either insane or deluded does not constitute evidence.

So hundreds of millions of people across the world are mentally insane?
Seems legit.
Reply 12
Original post by Artur96
Seems legit.

Of course not. Hundreds of millions of people are deluded, they are just following a handful of people who are insane.

Somebody "feeling Gods presence" is not even close to proof. People claim to feel the presence of lots of things; ghosts, gods of religions other than yours, auras, you name it. If you believe in something hard enough it is pretty easy to convince yourself of a vague feeling.
Reply 13
Original post by lucaf
Of course not. Hundreds of millions of people are deluded, they are just following a handful of people who are insane.

Somebody "feeling Gods presence" is not even close to proof. People claim to feel the presence of lots of things; ghosts, gods of religions other than yours, auras, you name it. If you believe in something hard enough it is pretty easy to convince yourself of a vague feeling.

Riiight, so everyone who's not an atheist is insane? I see what you're getting at!
Reply 14
Original post by Artur96
Riiight, so everyone who's not an atheist is insane? I see what you're getting at!

I didn't say that. Just that anybody claiming to "feel the presence of god" is at the very least delusional.
Reply 15
Original post by Artur96
Seems legit.

Red herring, and/or misinterpretation. Their point is, there is such thing as sensing a presence that isn't actually there, and a little bit of research on different psychosis, i.e. schizophrenia, would help you realise that.

And your usage of "well, everyone else feels the same so it must be right!" as an argument in an attempt to validate your beliefs, simply because there are many who share them also, fails to provide an infallible premise.
your so closed minded. let people believe what they want to believe, why do you give 2 ****s - go live your life and stop acting all arrogant that just because you dont believe in a god doesnt mean that it is right. respect peoples opinions and stop acting like your some clever guy

for me? i believe in god because seeing is not believing ( gravity, magnetic flux) and it is my personal experience with god

question is why do you even care?
Reply 17
Original post by Kiytt

And your usage of "well, everyone else feels the same so it must be right!" as an argument in an attempt to validate your beliefs, simply because there are many who share them also, fails to provide an infallible premise.

Then I guess 2+2 must equal 5 if there are people out there who believe so.
Reply 18
Original post by Artur96
Then I guess 2+2 must equal 5 if there are people out there who believe so.

What? Who believes that? Using red herring after red herring to try prove an already falsified point is redundant.

Even if millions of people did believe that, I wouldn't believe the same, as there is logical proof that shows 2+2 equals 4.
Reply 19
Original post by Kiytt
What? Who believes that? Using red herring after red herring to try prove an already falsified point is redundant.

Even if millions of people did believe that, I wouldn't believe the same, as there is logical proof that shows 2+2 equals 4.

My point is that other atheists in this thread are using the same logic as I am right now against me, by calling all religious people 'delusional'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending