The Student Room Group

ATP - what is created when no H+ is available?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cashmoneyorg

Thanks

Nothing. Protons are a key ingredient in respiration: without them the whole process would come to a halt and nothing would get made at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
There'd still be anaerobic respiration of course but I don't think that's enough to keep you alive for long.

Why would there be no H+ ions available though? The body has a very complex system of buffers to make sure this doesn't happen, if it does you would've been dead a long long time ago
Reply 3
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Nothing. Protons are a key ingredient in respiration: without them the whole process would come to a halt and nothing would get made at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I've just got a quick question. I understand that increased respiration due increased muscle contraction can generate heat for the body on a cold day.., But doesn't an increase in respiration rate also link to heat loss?

I'm confused by the fact that both points are contradicting each other???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A
Hi,

I've just got a quick question. I understand that increased respiration due increased muscle contraction can generate heat for the body on a cold day.., But doesn't an increase in respiration rate also link to heat loss?

Posted from TSR Mobile

More heat = more heat available to be lost via respiration

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
More heat = more heat available to be lost via respiration

Posted from TSR Mobile

So why do we increase metabolic rate when we're cold when the heat will all be lost?

Or is it the fact that we have LOTS of heat generated so losses won't really make a difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ps1265A
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi... I don't know if this will help, but when you talk about heat lost from respiration, it's usually in the context of why that energy isn't passed on to the next trophic level, right? (at least how I've seen it so far so sorry if this is wrong) So while the body gains heat generated by respiration, it has lost the energy that would be put into its biomass/have been passed on to the next trophic level...

hope that makes sense :s
Original post by ps1265A
So why do we increase metabolic rate when we're cold when the heat will all be lost?

Or is it the fact that we have LOTS of heat generated so losses won't really make a difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It won't all be lost. Some of it will be lost. Say if you lose 15% of heat at rest and you produce 300kJ of heat per minute, and then you start exercising, you produce 1000kJ of heat per minute and lose 30% of heat. That's still relatively more heat loss, but there's an absolute heat gain.

N.B: Figures are bull**** to demonstrate the point. :tongue:
Reply 8
It won't all be lost. Some of it will be lost. Say if you lose 15% of heat at rest and you produce 300kJ of heat per minute, and then you start exercising, you produce 1000kJ of heat per minute and lose 30% of heat. That's still relatively more heat loss, but there's an absolute heat gain.

Yup, that's exactly what I was thinking! Thanks for a fantastic explanation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by tara8000
Hi... I don't know if this will help, but when you talk about heat lost from respiration, it's usually in the context of why that energy isn't passed on to the next trophic level, right? (at least how I've seen it so far so sorry if this is wrong) So while the body gains heat generated by respiration, it has lost the energy that would be put into its biomass/have been passed on to the next trophic level...

hope that makes sense :s

Thank you! Very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A
Thank you! Very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad it was of use! :smile:

oh, and in terms of why the metabolic rate increases (hoping someone will come and verify me explination so I can sure); That would increase as the enzymes and subrates involved in metabolic reactions now have an increased kinetic energy due to the heat energy released, causing more collisions between the enzymes and their substrates in a given time....right?

I mean that's how I understand it so if someone could let me know how accurate that is before my exam on monday that would be appreciated x)
(edited 8 years ago)

oh, and in terms of why the metabolic rate increases (hoping someone will come and verify me explination so I can sure); That would increase as the enzymes and subrates involved in metabolic reactions now have an increased kinetic energy due to the heat energy released, causing more collisions between the enzymes and their substrates in a given time....right?

I mean that's how I understand it so if someone could let me know how accurate that is before my exam on monday that would be appreciated x)

That seems right! What exam board are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The collision theory of kinetic energy doesn't really apply well to large macromolecules on the scale of enzymes and substrates. There's no complicated deep-seated physiological reason metabolic rate increases with exercise: it's all very simple. Your muscles contract; this introduces an energy demand; metabolic rate increases to meet this energy demand (via molecular and hormonal signalling). Heat production is a consequence of increased metabolic rate, not a cause.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just like to ask a quick question; in terms of the word sex-linked, does it on relate to alleles on the X chromosome and NOT the Y? Because I was doing a question regarding baldness, in which the alleles are not on the X chromosome, "but the expression of the gene is affected by the sex of the person"... So wouldn't the allele be on the Y chromosome? And if so, how can the phenotype be controlled by TWO alleles?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A
I just like to ask a quick question; in terms of the word sex-linked, does it on relate to alleles on the X chromosome and NOT the Y? Because I was doing a question regarding baldness, in which the alleles are not on the X chromosome, "but the expression of the gene is affected by the sex of the person"... So wouldn't the allele be on the Y chromosome? And if so, how can the phenotype be controlled by TWO alleles?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As usual the A level biology spec isn't quite right, but what we're meant to assume is that there are no genes on the Y chromosome that aren't on the X. This means that the Y chromosome is essentially the X chromosome, missing some genes. So if it's not on the X, it won't be on the Y.

And yes, in A level "sex-linked" means it's on the X but not on the Y.
Original post by Gaiaphage
As usual the A level biology spec isn't quite right, but what we're meant to assume is that there are no genes on the Y chromosome that aren't on the X. This means that the Y chromosome is essentially the X chromosome, missing some genes. So if it's not on the X, it won't be on the Y.

Thanks,
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433516590.275180.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1433516605.055650.jpg

Ignore the writing; but the final picture shows my cross; the actual answer is 1/8?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433516738.106711.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A
Thanks,

Ignore the writing; but the final picture shows my cross; the actual answer is 1/8?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm. I don't think you're meant to put any alleles on the Y chromosome, so for 7)a)i) it'd be BBXAY and BbXAY

For 7)a)ii) she must be XAXa, so the answer is Bb XAXa and bb XAXa.

For the genetic cross, you're already told it's a son so you don't need to include the XX children. There are only 8 possible ways of getting XY and you're correct in choosing that one as the only colour blind but not bald one - so the probability is 1/8 :smile:
Hmm. I don't think you're meant to put any alleles on the Y chromosome, so for 7)a)i) it'd be BBXAY and BbXAY

For 7)a)ii) she must be XAXa, so the answer is Bb XAXa and bb XAXa.

For the genetic cross, you're already told it's a son so you don't need to include the XX children. There are only 8 possible ways of getting XY and you're correct in choosing that one as the only colour blind but not bald one - so the probability is 1/8 :smile:

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR REPLYING!

Ah yeah, the first 2 pages I corrected later :tongue:

So the probability is based on the sons only???? The questions says what's the probability that it's a son with... Rather than "Given that the child is a male"

Posted from TSR Mobile

p.s. Could you help me with this thread (not the original post, but the latest post I made) regarding photosynthesis

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3337229
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ps1265A
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR REPLYING!

Ah yeah, the first 2 pages I corrected later :tongue:

So the probability is based on the sons only???? The questions says what's the probability that it's a son with... Rather than "Given that the child is a male"

Posted from TSR Mobile

p.s. Could you help me with this thread (not the original post, but the latest post I made) regarding photosynthesis

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3337229

I think it means "What's the chance that the son has ..." so you have to assume you've got to reject the female ones

Quick Reply

Latest