The Student Room Group

AQA Further Maths FP1 June 5th 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
Oh wait are you talking about this?
image.jpg

Yes, assumed that's what you meant. That June 2014 question.
Original post by C0balt
Oh wait are you talking about this?
image.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7yy3313q3q801t/Screenshot%202015-06-04%2020.52.35.png?dl=0 plug in your values of a+b and ab
Original post by -jordan-
Yes, assumed that's what you meant. That June 2014 question.

Well I could do that one for some reason in my mock but I can't prove α^4+β^4=(α+β)^4-2(αβ)^2 in general
I don't think it does equal that. a^4 + b^4 = (a^2 + b^2)^2 -2(ab)^2. Not (a+b)^4 -2(ab)^2. See the dropbox link

a^2 + b^2 = (a+b)^2 -2ab... so

((a+b)^2 - 2ab)^2 -2(ab)^2

Oh dayum some sexy stuff
Original post by bartbarrow
I don't think it does equal that. a^4 + b^4 = (a^2 + b^2)^2 -2(ab)^2. Not (a+b)^4 -2(ab)^2. See the dropbox link

a^2 + b^2 = (a+b)^2 -2ab... so

((a+b)^2 - 2ab)^2 -2(ab)^2

Maybe I read it wrong? It was one of the questions in the book
Oh yes I read it wrong
Exam's gonna be especially tricky tomorrow, FP3 style (I heard FP3 was very hard). Watch out for oddball questions! I think the best way to prepare now is to quickly go over the maths behind most of the topics so that they can't catch you out with questions that really test your understanding (like knowing what your Newton-Raphson approximation for the root is geometrically speaking).
The FP1 textbook is great for this.
Original post by PrimeLime
Exam's gonna be especially tricky tomorrow, FP3 style (I heard FP3 was very hard). Watch out for oddball questions! I think the best way to prepare now is to quickly go over the maths behind most of the topics so that they can't catch you out with questions that really test your understanding (like knowing what your Newton-Raphson approximation for the root is geometrically speaking).
The FP1 textbook is great for this.

I am ****ed if I am asked to prove matrix transformation or summation formula lol
i have a feeling theyll theyll include linear interpolation they havnt included that in a while
Anyone volunteer to kill me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Anyone volunteer to kill me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

And me also?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What the **** was that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please tell me I wasn't the only one who thought that was horrible

Posted from TSR Mobile
A disgusting paper, that's what. Still though, I reckon I dropped max 10 marks, and on last year's paper that would have been 94 UMS.

What do you think the grade boundaries will be like this year?
Original post by Adam_98
Please tell me I wasn't the only one who thought that was horrible

Posted from TSR Mobile

Youre not alone
I got 72/75 in 2014 paper in exam condition (mock)
Still ****ed this up
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Youre not alone
I got 72/75 in 2014 paper in exam condition (mock)
Still ****ed this up
Posted from TSR Mobile

You reckon it was harder that last year's?
I dropped minimum 9 marks just from questions I didn't attempt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 136
That was hard... Harder than any other paper in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lads that was shocking i wish took a levels 4 years ago when the government wasnt out to shaft you
Reply 138
That was sexual. Did everyone else get lambda as 2/3 and k as 39 in the series question ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Definitely harder than last year. Last year it was a fairly standard FP1 paper where they just tested all the concepts but not in a tricky way. The questions like the second part of complex numbers, and the last summation question were not typical FP1 questions and a lot of people will have dropped marks on it.

Quick Reply