The Student Room Group

AQA Further Maths FP1 June 5th 2015

Scroll to see replies

I couldn't do part b of the series question 😩
Give me a fking decade to do that... Still wouldn't be able to get close to 75 ://// WTF
Original post by JahJah
That was sexual. Did everyone else get lambda as 2/3 and k as 39 in the series question ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes....
But the cubic didn't much the first equation given in the question so I was like what the ****
Original post by Swindelz
You reckon it was harder that last year's?

Yes..better be harder and low boundaries...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got k as 39 for the series one
Did anyone else get z=-4 for that complex number one too?
Original post by freddy4321
I got k as 39 for the series one

Do you remember what the cubic was? I got one which seemed reasonable but couldn't find a solution.
Reply 146
Original post by C0balt
Yes....
But the cubic didn't much the first equation given in the question so I was like what the ****

Yes..better be harder and low boundaries...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got it to match it in the end, you may have had an error in your calculation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by -jordan-
Do you remember what the cubic was? I got one which seemed reasonable but couldn't find a solution.

You ended up forming the cubic from right at the start and from that knew it was 39 or 40 and the inequality said it had to be < 0 so it was 39
for the roots alpha^2 and beta^2, what did people get? did it have to be imaginary numbers?
Original post by JahJah
I got it to match it in the end, you may have had an error in your calculation

Posted from TSR Mobile

......I didn't have time to check...

Did anyone else get z=-4 for that complex number one too?

Yes
For the imaginary number one. For a+b i got for but I then put ab=5 and I believe this is wrong
Original post by tanyapotter
for the roots alpha^2 and beta^2, what did people get? did it have to be imaginary numbers?

I got imaginary
1+-root(45/4) or soemthing

Yeah all the answers ive heard were complex

Yes. Got the quadratic as 4x^2 + 45 = 0, wasted most of my time checking that because I'd never seen them use imaginary roots.
Yes. Got the quadratic as 4x^2 + 45 = 0, wasted most of my time checking that because I'd never seen them use imaginary roots.

Haha same, i simplified the surd for part c and thought it looked very wrong but glad other people have got the same answer
Haha same, i simplified the surd for part c and thought it looked very wrong but glad other people have got the same answer

Think the surd came down to 3/2root(5)i?
That exam was a flipping screwjob 😅😅😅 ive dropped at least 10 marks
Think the surd came down to 3/2root(5)i?

Awww yes I got that answer, thought it was brutal for only 2 marks though
Reply 158
I think that was harder than last years paper.

This is what I got too. The root of X is -a and -b so x^2 = a^2 and b^2, and they're looking for a^2 and b^2.

So you should've got something like a^2 = -45/4 = b^2

You didn't actually have to involve imaginary numbers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending