The Student Room Group
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth

|| Falmouth Freshers 2015 ||

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vidishashenoy
I eventually did go for Falmouth... I firmed it last night :biggrin: I knew I'd have to do it soon since one of the scholarships I'll be applying for has a deadline on the 29th of this month, so I need to get a move on and start writing my statement.
My conditions are 260 UCAS points too, and I'm hoping that I'll get just above 260 (if I'm lucky... I'm honestly a bit of a slacker when it comes to sitting down and studying... I guess Art was the only exception xD)

Hopefully, I'll see you in September too :smile:

Happy to hear it! :biggrin: Why did you choose Falmouth in the end?

And ahh yeah, I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck with everything. (:
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth
Original post by charlottei
What course are you going to be doing?:smile:

Going to be studying Digital Games :smile: did alot of research and falmouth's course definitely seemed life the best bet. Lecturers seemed awesome, people seemed awesome, campus seemed awesome, and living near the beach sure can't hurt.
Happy to hear it! :biggrin: Why did you choose Falmouth in the end?

And ahh yeah, I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck with everything. (:

Thanks, I'll be needing lots of it xD and good luck to you too! Well, I'm sure you'll get in, since you said your predicted grades are fairly high^^
Well, I chose Falmouth because it looks like a promising university, from what I've read (Since I live in India, I can't exactly attend open days although I'm sure I would've if I were in the UK anytime this year and the last), and there's a lot of independence in learning as well (I'm the kind of girl who likes to do her own thing, and I'm very stubborn about it too!) And plus, Cornwall's a beautiful place too, which is a bonus! :biggrin:
I think you've been to the campus, right? What's it like?
Original post by Katherine Grace
Don't panic! As it's a creative arts Uni, the tutors care more about your interview and the work you showed them than your grades! My alevel grades didn't meet the criteria but I got in last year! :smile:

Hey, just wondering what grades they said you needed and what grades you ended up getting to have them still let you in? I'm hoping to go there for photography in 2016 (i had to defer) and need a Distinction and 2 B's. I know i'm on target to get a D* in my btec and i'm pretty confident in one of my a levels i'll be able to get the B but my other a level is a bit difficult for me and i'm not sure i'll be able to get it.
Okay I'm not going to lie I might have got a bit excited when I read you work at the zoo (I'm a big animal person aha). I didn't even know there was one anywhere near Falmouth, so I'll definitely be visiting. :biggrin:

It is a little trek from Falmouth to Newquay to be fair - depending on your choice of transport at least! But yes, if you ask nicely, i will use my zoo powers and you can feed some lemurs while you are there, haha! c:
Reply 265
Original post by Ellie~
oh cool! yeah, i mean there are downsides but also some upsides, as long as both people get on well together :smile: i'm incredibly untidy so i'll need to work on that haha. but even if we hate it, a friend of mine who is already at falmouth told me that pretty much all of the people she knew who were sharing were able to move to a single room by christmas, so it should be alright :biggrin:

Really? Oh I didn't realise it could be that quick that's good news. Suppose its good to move in with someone at first as it might be a bit daunting alone. Getting excited now :smile:
Original post by JamesFL
Going to be studying Digital Games :smile: did alot of research and falmouth's course definitely seemed life the best bet. Lecturers seemed awesome, people seemed awesome, campus seemed awesome, and living near the beach sure can't hurt.

Aha, well I can't comment on your course but I certainly agree when it comes to the campus. Seems to be a big draw of the uni for a lot of people. :biggrin:

Original post by vidishashenoy
Thanks, I'll be needing lots of it xD and good luck to you too! Well, I'm sure you'll get in, since you said your predicted grades are fairly high^^
Well, I chose Falmouth because it looks like a promising university, from what I've read (Since I live in India, I can't exactly attend open days although I'm sure I would've if I were in the UK anytime this year and the last), and there's a lot of independence in learning as well (I'm the kind of girl who likes to do her own thing, and I'm very stubborn about it too!) And plus, Cornwall's a beautiful place too, which is a bonus! :biggrin:
I think you've been to the campus, right? What's it like?

Wow, you're coming from India? I thought it was pretty far to travel for me, coming from 6 hours away in a car. That's going to be big change of scenery for you! :smile:

Yeah I've been to Falmouth twice now - once for the open day and once for my interview. Both times I was amazed by everything I saw... both the campuses and the location are amazing. :biggrin: I especially like the Woodlane campus where the Graphic Design course is set. It definitely made my decision a lot easier.

Original post by tamnhauser
It is a little trek from Falmouth to Newquay to be fair - depending on your choice of transport at least! But yes, if you ask nicely, i will use my zoo powers and you can feed some lemurs while you are there, haha! c:

If you carry on saying that you are going to be very popular indeed when you get to Falmouth, haha. :smile:
Reply 267
hey do any of you know the answer to this? i'm about to pay my deposit and i was wondering if it has to come from the student's bank account or if someone else can pay? for example, i would obviously be paying the rent from my loan but i was going to use my mum's account to pay the deposit. is that alright or does it have to be from mine?
Original post by Ellie~
hey do any of you know the answer to this? i'm about to pay my deposit and i was wondering if it has to come from the student's bank account or if someone else can pay? for example, i would obviously be paying the rent from my loan but i was going to use my mum's account to pay the deposit. is that alright or does it have to be from mine?

I paid from my own account but i wouldn't imagine that it would matter so long as the payment method is valid, the site gives you the option of paying money upfront or just paying the deposit (I paid just the deposit). I can't see why you wouldn't be able to change payment method later as what would happen if you lost your card or it expired before your payments had finished (mine expires next year for example)
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh i never updated- I accepted an offer for a bunk room at Glasney! All the single rooms were my top choices of course but if I have to share a room at least its (really, only just) the cheapest option?? And being at Glasney and having things nearby is probably a plus.

As a side note does anyone currently at Falmouth have any knowledge about the gym? I've had a look online at it (as well as some of the interesting clubs and societies) and I'm not very fit right now... at all. (We're talking being winded going up a small flight of stairs >_<) and as I'm in a LDR it'd be nice to get a bit fitter over the course of the school year before I meet up with the bae :colondollar:... but I literally have no idea about how to even go about going to the gym or starting up or anything... I'm also looking into joining some sports clubs maybe, if they're not too competitive??? Idk..

Also is anyone planning on using a bike to commute? I can't really bring mine down because the bike rack we have for the car isn't really suitable for the length of the journey? My plan for being at Falmouth is to try to actually have a fresh start and try to save money and be healthy by cycling around as much as I can but I'm not sure what to do about getting my hands on a cheap (likely second hand) bike down there?
I've firmed Falmouth to study English with creative writing, plain English second, depending on conditions. Is anyone planning to study something similar? would love to meet potential class mates!

I'll be commuting daily to Fal from Newquay (if I get in - Hopefully!) so that will be exciting.
Original post by annacubeddu13
I've firmed Falmouth to study English with creative writing, plain English second, depending on conditions. Is anyone planning to study something similar? would love to meet potential class mates!

I'll be commuting daily to Fal from Newquay (if I get in - Hopefully!) so that will be exciting.

Hey! :biggrin: I'm not studying English myself, but from what I've heard it's a great course at Fal. Also, lucky you - you certainly live a lot closer than most of us. Do you know how long it's going to take you to commute?
Hey! :biggrin: I'm not studying English myself, but from what I've heard it's a great course at Fal. Also, lucky you - you certainly live a lot closer than most of us. Do you know how long it's going to take you to commute?

haha you're probably right - a good advantage of living in Cornwall, and they do the exact course i want to do!
It will take me around 40 minutes to drive each day, which isn't too bad, plus the student loan pays for the petrol so it's all good :smile:
Results from foundation next week - nervous!
Anyone got exams on at the moment? I just had an awful one today and I was wondering if anyone else is going through the same thing. :/

Original post by Failinis
Results from foundation next week - nervous!

Ooh good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 275
Anyone got exams on at the moment? I just had an awful one today and I was wondering if anyone else is going through the same thing. :/

I'm sure it wasn't as bad as you think! I have my first Psychology exam tomorrow, I'm pretty terrified... :frown:
Original post by Ellie~
I'm sure it wasn't as bad as you think! I have my first Psychology exam tomorrow, I'm pretty terrified... :frown:

I have my forst psychology exam tomorrow as well and im totally stressing over it
Original post by Ellie~

I'm hoping not, but I can't help going over my mistakes in my mind! I've got another exam on Thursday though, so I'll have to get over it soon, aha.

And really good luck with it. I hope everything that you've revised the most comes up and that it goes really well. :smile:
Reply 278
Original post by sonja_michelle
I have my forst psychology exam tomorrow as well and im totally stressing over it

oh good luck! what topics are you covering?

I'm hoping not, but I can't help going over my mistakes in my mind! I've got another exam on Thursday though, so I'll have to get over it soon, aha.

And really good luck with it. I hope everything that you've revised the most comes up and that it goes really well. :smile:

thank you! good luck for thursday :smile:
Original post by Ellie~
oh good luck! what topics are you covering?

thank you! good luck for thursday :smile:

Aggression, perception and eating behaviour, you? Good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest