The Student Room Group

AQA Further Maths FP1 June 5th 2015

Scroll to see replies

what were the values of alpha^2 and beta^2?
i just got +/- 3/2(root5)i
Original post by a123a
Wasn't it 2+11i?

That's what I got
Original post by tanyapotter
what were the values of alpha^2 and beta^2?
i just got +/- 3/2(root5)i

Those are the roots of the equation.

(a^2 -1)= +/- 3/2sqrt(5)i
and (b^2 -1)= +/- 3/2sqrt(5)i

so
a^2 = 1 + 3/2 sqrt(5) i,
b^2 = 1 - 3/2 sqrt(5) i

these can be either way round
Original post by a123a
Wasn't it 2+11i?

think it was (2+i)^3?

= 2^3 + 3(2^2)(i) +3(2)(i)^2 + i^3

=8+12i -6 -i

=2+11i

yeah, it should be 2+11i
Reply 264
Original post by Programming_Nerd
That's what I got

It has to be as when you equate the I, it'll be p+11=0
Original post by JDMason
Those are the roots of the equation.

(a^2 -1)= +/- 3/2sqrt(5)i
and (b^2 -1)= +/- 3/2sqrt(5)i

so
a^2 = 1 + 3/2 sqrt(5) i,
b^2 = 1 - 3/2 sqrt(5) i

these can be either way round

image.jpg

in this past paper, a^2 and b^2 are simply +-18i..? as root-324 gives that? could you explain where i'm going wrong please? i'm sorry for being a bother
Reply 266
Original post by JDMason
think it was (2+i)^3?

= 2^3 + 3(2^2)(i) +3(2)(i)^2 + i^3

=8+12i -6 -i

=2+11i

yeah, it should be 2+11i

Thank you. I think I've dropped 10 marks and hoping I get above 90 ums.

How did you find the exam and what would you predict the grade boundaries to be?
Original post by a123a
The 60 sum one was 4 marks.
Also could you remember what you got for Q? For the complex question. P=-11 and Q=20?

Yeah I got that
60 sum I don't know how much I got
I formed cubic and subbed 39 and 40 but the cubic was wrong
image.jpg

in this past paper, a^2 and b^2 are simply +-18i..? as root-324 gives that? could you explain where i'm going wrong please? i'm sorry for being a bother

No worries. In the paper you've shown the roots of the equation are a^2 and b^2. However in the paper today it states the roots are a^2-1 and b^2-1.
So what you have worked out are the roots to the equation, however in this case the roots do not equal a^2 and b^2
Reply 269
Original post by C0balt
Yeah I got that
60 sum I don't know how much I got
I formed cubic and subbed 39 and 40 but the cubic was wrong

I think I dropped 5 marks on question 1 and then 4 marks in the complex number question so that's 9.
But I'm unsure on 1 mark which was the 'why the integral is improper' question.
I said because as x tends to 0 the integral tends to infinity so not defined. Do you think that would get me the mark?
Original post by JDMason
No worries. In the paper you've shown the roots of the equation are a^2 and b^2. However in the paper today it states the roots are a^2-1 and b^2-1.
So what you have worked out are the roots to the equation, however in this case the roots do not equal a^2 and b^2

I see what you mean!! thank you
do you think i'd get 1 mark for writing those down or would i probably lose all marks?
Original post by a123a
I think I dropped 5 marks on question 1 and then 4 marks in the complex number question so that's 9.
I said because as x tends to 0 the integral tends to infinity so not defined. Do you think that would get me the mark?

When x=0 it's undefined
Original post by a123a
Thank you. I think I've dropped 10 marks and hoping I get above 90 ums.

How did you find the exam and what would you predict the grade boundaries to be?

I though the exam was fairly difficult, they tried to add some complication to most questions. I reckon ~72 for 100UMS ~63 for 90UMS, I don't particular know the grade boundaries that well, Id say slightly higher than June 2014?
Original post by JDMason
I though the exam was fairly difficult, they tried to add some complication to most questions. I reckon ~72 for 100UMS ~63 for 90UMS, I don't particular know the grade boundaries that well, Id say slightly higher than June 2014?

what do you think the grade boundaries would be?
Original post by a123a

On previous past papers they would accept that, as well as when x=0 the value of *equation* is undefined
Both answers were accepted
I see what you mean!! thank you
do you think i'd get 1 mark for writing those down or would i probably lose all marks?

if it was out of 2, you will probably only drop 1 as you had done the hard part of the question
i completely guessed k to be 39 but my working out was ATROCIOUS. seriously. had NO idea what i was doing. do you reckon i'd get a single mark just for stating that k=39?
Original post by JDMason

I found June 2014 far easier than this paper. The A boundary for FP1 for the past few years has been about 55, so I'd expect it to be around this.
(edited 8 years ago)
what do you think the grade boundaries would be?

As I said I really don't know, at a guess (similar to previous years):

A~60
B~50
C~40
Reply 279
Original post by C0balt
When x=0 it's undefined

Thank you.

Original post by JDMason

I would hope that they are lower! 69 was 100 last year, and I thought last year was easier than this years paper.
Original post by JDMason
On previous past papers they would accept that, as well as when x=0 the value of *equation* is undefined
Both answers were accepted

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending