The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
Nadal's issue is not his serve (he's got the skills to compensate elsewhere), it's that his game is so physical and predicated on 30 shot rallies in which his opponent makes the mistakes. If he's to last then he needs to learn to shorten points.

Improved net play and drop shots for example.

Yes, but having a more powerful, ace heavy serve is one of the ways to reduce that physicality. Nadal is a great volleyer - very often when he manages to make it to the net he usually kills the point on the first volley, and possesses the best smash in the game. However, that's also built around creating the opportunities to get to the net, and that means pulling the trigger early as well as hitting great serves. I don't mind him working the point so much against the top guys,, but against the lower ranked players he makes far too much of a meal out of it sometimes when he could be going for it earlier and putting points away.
Pulling for Stan and Murray tomorrow! Although a Stan-Djokovic final sounds great too.
I'd prefer Stan-Djokovic if only to stop the commentators licking Murray's behind even more at Wimbledon.
Original post by Krish4791
He could if it didn't give him shoulder problems. He said sometime after the 2011 Indian Wells final that he wouldn't be using the service motion for the fast serve anymore. After the 2010 US Open, where he happened to have great success with it, he tried resurrecting it during that Indian Wells tournament but it fell to pieces against Djokovic in particular - there was one period of the match (3rd set I think) where he served at under 20% of 1st serves.

Just because it feel to pieces in one match, it doesn't mean that he shouldn't use it again. I personally think that it would be great for his game if he brings that serve back.
Tsonga or Stan to win.. how insufferable would it be for commentators to be going on about a potential Murray Career Grand Slam!
Original post by hskjlclcn
Tsonga or Stan to win.. how insufferable would it be for commentators to be going on about a potential Murray Career Grand Slam!

It was bad enough when Jake did the F1 commentary (so far up Mclarens and Hamiltons ass that he's long since gone blind). I can only imagine what I'd have to endure if Murray won the French.

Just think how extra annoying the 2 week Wimbledon fans would be as well.

Tbf if Murray wins the French, then a career grand slam would be very likely

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a very strong assumption that he'd get past Djokovic. If anyone deserves the career slam out of the 4 semi-finalists I'd have to go with Djokovic given how close he's been in the last few years but it depends on whoever turns up and plays the best and Wawrinka is looking great so far
Reply 3528
Original post by lizzy95
That's a very strong assumption that he'd get past Djokovic. If anyone deserves the career slam out of the 4 semi-finalists I'd have to go with Djokovic given how close he's been in the last few years but it depends on whoever turns up and plays the best and Wawrinka is looking great so far

How close a player has come to winning a Slam has nothing to do with how much they deserve it. It could be said that Murray deserves to be in the final on Sunday more than Djokovic because Djokovic has already been there twice before, so he's getting greedy with his chances.

That's not what I'm saying obviously, it's just the same point.

What determines who deserves to win a slam is who plays the best in the final. That said, I can see how much Djokovic wants it, emotionally more than anything else. And he's been playing well, so he'll need to keep his level high if he wants it this time!
Reply 3529
Tsonga's coming back! This could go to 5 sets again! Allez Stan!
Inspired TB from Tsonga to level this up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RyJ
How close a player has come to winning a Slam has nothing to do with how much they deserve it. It could be said that Murray deserves to be in the final on Sunday more than Djokovic because Djokovic has already been there twice before, so he's getting greedy with his chances.

That's not what I'm saying obviously, it's just the same point.

What determines who deserves to win a slam is who plays the best in the final. That said, I can see how much Djokovic wants it, emotionally more than anything else. And he's been playing well, so he'll need to keep his level high if he wants it this time!

Very fair point, clearly I'm biased as a Djokovic fan :colondollar:
I actually like all the remaining players in the draw too but I'd love to see Djokovic finally win RG as he's wanted it for so long and not been far. May the best man win :smile:
Original post by lizzy95

I don't assume he will. Djokovic in 3 for me. But yeah you don't deserve a career Grand Slammer, you earn one & I think luckily for you he's two games away from his

Original post by TH3-FL45H
Tbf if Murray wins the French, then a career grand slam would be very likely

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty likely, still have to beat Djokovic in Oz though.
Reply 3533
Original post by lizzy95
Very fair point, clearly I'm biased as a Djokovic fan :colondollar:
I actually like all the remaining players in the draw too but I'd love to see Djokovic finally win RG as he's wanted it for so long and not been far. May the best man win :smile:

I'm a biased Stanimal fan, I can't deny that! Though I can still see Nole taking this on Sunday, so I don't think you'll be disappointed!

If Stan gets broken here, the crowd are gonna let him know it! :frown:
Stan the man!
Great win for Stan, he's got a great shot for a second slam! A huge shame to hear boos from the crowd, despite their disappointment they should always respect a good performance
Stan the Man! Rolling towards another Slam potentially
I think the 1st set is crucial for Murray today, can't see him coming back from behind as Djokovic front runs so well
Murray is a mental midget
Djokovic again letting the crowd get to him, he needs to learn to ignore them and just plow through

Quick Reply

Latest