The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Dont plagerize it de values other peoples qualifications, its not fair that you will be qualified in something that you havent actually done

i hope they do catch you but to answer your question they most likely wont, you will be fine and be just as qualified as those who actually did the work
Reply 2
Original post by yt7777
Dont plagerize it de values other peoples qualifications, its not fair that you will be qualified in something that you havent actually done

i hope they do catch you but to answer your question they most likely wont, you will be fine and be just as qualified as those who actually did the work

the thing is i had to do it just for that unit otherwise they would have failed me i had no choice all the others i did all by myself. i hope they don't catch me man cause my college wasn't giving me extra time so i had one day to do everything it was impossible. can you please tell me one more do the colleges send the work to the board like if the college says its okay and the edexcel board catches it and say that its copied and i hope not but if they do catch me will i be able to the unit again next year
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by sexxyyboyy
the thing is i had to do it just for that unit otherwise they would have failed me i had no choice all the others i did all by myself. i hope they don't catch me man cause my college wasn't giving me extra time so i had one day to do everything it was impossible. can you please tell me one more do the colleges send the work to the board like if the college says its okay and the edexcel board catches it and say that its copied and i hope not but if they do catch me will i be able to the unit again next year

No they wont. I believe the only time that edexcel will see your work is if you college and your assignment gets chosen for external verification or if they conduct a random quality spot check on your college
Reply 4
Original post by yt7777
no they wont. I believe the only time that edexcel will see your work is if you college and your assignment gets chosen for external verification or if they conduct a random quality spot check on your college

okay thanks bro
This disappoints me greatly, but in order to put off anyone else trying this im going to point out something obvious.
Everyone uses the same subject specification from the examboard, but each college will have written it's own assignments. If I was marking your work it would be quite obvious that the assignments I had issued did not match the content of the work submitted. If I caught you, you would not only fail the course, but have your place withdrawn too.

Also, if it wasn't sampled this year, it could still be sampled next year, so don't think you have gotten away with this.
Btectutor beat me to it, but I second his / her comments. I write all of the BTEC assignments for my college (and my previous college) and they are based on local organisations and local businesses and are linked to what and how we teach it. Therefore it would be obvious to me if it had been copied from another college as it would not be relevant.
I also think of this every time I see someone on here asking for help by saying, for example, I need help for D1 regarding marketing. Without the actual question and context being given, it is pretty much impossible for any other student to give you that help.
Finally, btectutor and myself and every other teacher I know, can spot plagiarised work at a glance. I personally am proud of the fact that I have a 100% catch-rate in my college.I can tell if they have used language that is not written in the way my students speak. I know their way of working and writing and as such can spot anything 'different'
This may sound picky, but I cna be sure that I -and my collegues- are ensuring the standards of BTEC are upheld. This is also why a lot of people on here (mostly A level students) keep slating BTECs as worthless.

Rant over. I am now leaving for work to finish off some final BTEC marking this morning.
Original post by sexxyyboyy
I am doing btec level 3 extended diploma. I am in my first year i started this course late so i missed the first 3 units so i had to do them along with the new units. My teacher told me that she would not accept the work if i didnt give it the next day as its nearlly end of the year so i got the work for that particular unit from a friend who is in a different college and has completed his second year just now . So when i got the work i had to give it in on that day so i didnt have time to edit it. The entire unit i gave is the same as my friend i gave it as a hard copy though is there any chance that i will be caught if i am then what will happen will they allow me to do that unit again !! Im feeling scared i shouldnt have done it but had no choice

Don't ever plagiarize! You will almost certainly get caught as some tutors like mine, they put it through a plagiarism checker and if it's detected some plagiarism they will literally throw it back in your face. You may not get caught if you copied off your friend because they are in a different college, but the problem will arise if they have copied off the internet and so on. Whenever you really do need to copy something off of somewhere because it's the only way to explain it, put it in quotes and reference it. That's the best way to do it. If you plagiarize within your own college, if your coursework gets pulled up, it will often be that they will have to check everyone else's because you plagiarized. Then tutors will get in trouble etc... best to ask for help if you're ever stuck no matter how many times you annoy your tutors lol
You will get caught. You will suffer severe consequences for this.
Reply 9
Original post by chelseafan
You will get caught. You will suffer severe consequences for this.

Lol i told my teacher today and she gave me a chance without telling anyone and told me to do it again but just passes
Original post by yt7777
No they wont. I believe the only time that edexcel will see your work is if you college and your assignment gets chosen for external verification or if they conduct a random quality spot check on your college

What if someone copying your work? For example, today in Business my teacher said that my work was similar this guy who sits next to me HOWEVER its the other way round because I'm a bright student who actually gets work done and finished and handed in however the guy who had the same work as me ,though his words were changed, copied mine and its sucks that I get the blame for it!!! I told him to change it completely and make it his own because if an examiner was to sample out our work and others and examine it and see that his one is similar to mine that it will lead to circumstances.

The fact that is wasn't just the ONE piece of work it was another and now I'm terrified.. What would external examiners do IF they actually found someones work similar looking to mine because I'm literally one the verge of ranting at the whole business department because its unfair that I'm honestly getting the blame for something I put effort and time in and someone who's simply copied mine and got credit for it!!! I told me teacher today that he should look at the days the assignment was given to see who copied who and he goes "It doesn't matter about the date, love" I was screaming inside "WTF?!?!?! the dates indicate who did the work first and the other one who have simply copied!!" common sense!! I can't!

Basically the question is what would external examiners do if they actually found someones work similar looking to mine? :/ (I'm angry right now!!:angry:) Wish I could punch the guy but ugh! Help me :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by LemonadeAspire
What if someone copying your work? For example, today in Business my teacher said that my work was similar this guy who sits next to me HOWEVER its the other way round because I'm a bright student who actually gets work done and finished and handed in however the guy who had the same work as me ,though his words were changed, copied mine and its sucks that I get the blame for it!!! I told him to change it completely and make it his own because if an examiner was to sample out our work and others and examine it and see that his one is similar to mine that it will lead to circumstances.

The fact that is wasn't just the ONE piece of work it was another and now I'm terrified.. What would external examiners do IF they actually found someones work similar looking to mine because I'm literally one the verge of ranting at the whole business department because its unfair that I'm honestly getting the blame for something I put effort and time in and someone who's simply copied mine and got credit for it!!! I told me teacher today that he should look at the days the assignment was given to see who copied who and he goes "It doesn't matter about the date, love" I was screaming inside "WTF?!?!?! the dates indicate who did the work first and the other one who have simply copied!!" common sense!! I can't!

Basically the question is what would external examiners do if they actually found someones work similar looking to mine? :/ (I'm angry right now!!:angry:) Wish I could punch the guy but ugh! Help me :frown:

What happened in my college once when someone was found plagiarising they were made to answer questions based on that unit verbally, with no resources that covered the criteria of that unit to the teacher and they failed the criteria if they couldnt answer sufficiently
Original post by yt7777
What happened in my college once when someone was found plagiarising they were made to answer questions based on that unit verbally, with no resources that covered the criteria of that unit to the teacher and they failed the criteria if they couldnt answer sufficiently

What if your work was being sent off to examiners? What would they do?
Reply 13
What if your work was being sent off to examiners? What would they do?

I'm not sure because they only send off a sample, so if somehow it happened that they selected you and that person and then selected that particular unit and that particular assignment in that unit (which is highly unlikely) then there may be an issue but it probably wont happen, however, i would suggest that you report the person who has copied to you HoD as it devalues the qualification if they are getting qualified in something they clearly dont have the skills for
Original post by yt7777
I'm not sure because they only send off a sample, so if somehow it happened that they selected you and that person and then selected that particular unit and that particular assignment in that unit (which is highly unlikely) then there may be an issue but it probably wont happen, however, i would suggest that you report the person who has copied to you HoD as it devalues the qualification if they are getting qualified in something they clearly dont have the skills for

I did tell the HoD for Business but he kept giving me warnings and saying that in the mean time is shouldn't happen blah blah but I'm really angry because I literally waste my lunch times putting in effort and work to pass these units and the guys does nothing but copies me- changes into own works but his structure is the same- I don't know what to do anymore but I'm honestly annoyed! I don't know what to do anymore and the fact I've passed way more than him and I'm moving onto the D task and he's still scrapping Merits and the teachers are blind thinks I'm the one copying.. it's pathetic!
Reply 15
I did tell the HoD for Business but he kept giving me warnings and saying that in the mean time is shouldn't happen blah blah but I'm really angry because I literally waste my lunch times putting in effort and work to pass these units and the guys does nothing but copies me- changes into own works but his structure is the same- I don't know what to do anymore but I'm honestly annoyed! I don't know what to do anymore and the fact I've passed way more than him and I'm moving onto the D task and he's still scrapping Merits and the teachers are blind thinks I'm the one copying.. it's pathetic!

A few simple solutions to this:

- move seats in the class
- do your work at home and just research in class
- say something to the person who is copying you
Hey, let's say that you have been sending your coursework around to your friends and one of them might have copied the majority of the work, what would be happing to the student that sent it and the one that copied if they were caught.
Original post by Graceful girl
Hey, let's say that you have been sending your coursework around to your friends and one of them might have copied the majority of the work, what would be happing to the student that sent it and the one that copied if they were caught.

This thread is nearly 7 years old. Please don't bump old threads.

Also your example would probably be taken as collusion and you would both be dealt with accordingly.
Original post by artful_lounger
This thread is nearly 7 years old. Please don't bump old threads.

Also your example would probably be taken as collusion and you would both be dealt with accordingly.

Sorry about that and thank you

Latest

Trending

Trending