The Student Room Group

Which countries did Germany overrun in WWII?

Please list when you are sure.
(I mean countries as they were then, not now)

Scroll to see replies

And the reason you can't use Google is?
Reply 2
Original post by MatureStudent36

areas that I don't think are countries or areas not properly overrun seem to be included.

I wondered if anyone actually knows?

in '42-'43 the US issued a set of 13 stamps, "overrun nations" which included Korea, so, according to them at that time the answer is 12.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NJA
areas that I don't think are countries or areas not properly overrun seem to be included.

I wondered if anyone actually knows?

in '42-'43 the US issued a set of 13 stamps, "overrun nations" which included Korea, so, according to them at that time the answer is 12.

I don't really know why you think. I know what historians know.

I have no idea what you're talking about in relation to Korea though.
Reply 4
I don't really know why you think. I know what historians know.

This is the history forum, if you know the answer to the question please give it or say nothing.

I have no idea what you're talking about in relation to Korea though.

I think you are tired, the sentence I gave makes sense, please sleep before trying again.
Original post by NJA
This is the history forum, if you know the answer to the question please give it or say nothing.

I think you are tired, the sentence I gave makes sense, please sleep before trying again.

Korea had been overrun. Are you trying to say it hadn't.

It's fairly clear which country's Germany overrun.

Pretty much all of mainland Europe with the exception of Spain, Portugal, the Vatican and Switzerland. Plus Norway.
Reply 6
No, I subtracted Korea because Germany didn't overrun it.

Do you agree that Germany overran 12 countries?
Original post by NJA
No, I subtracted Korea because Germany didn't overrun it.

Do you agree that Germany overran 12 countries?

More than 12. List which ones you think and I'll let you know who you're missing.
Reply 8
More than 12. List which ones you think and I'll let you know who you're missing.

USA's 12: Poland, Czechoslovakia, Norway, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Greece, Yugoslavia, Albania, Austria and Denmark.
Original post by NJA
USA's 12: Poland, Czechoslovakia, Norway, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Greece, Yugoslavia, Albania, Austria and Denmark.

Belarus, Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania, estonianand the Ukraine. Some would also argue Austria.

Invaded allies who turned. Italy, Hungary and Romania.

Had a crack at Tunisia, Libya and Egypt with Italian suppprt.

And also got te Channel Islands.
Reply 10
Belarus, Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania, estonianand the Ukraine. Some would also argue Austria....

Thanks.
The US did Austria, I wonder why they missed out Communist countries?
I guess partly because the waves of immigrants who came to the US didn't really come from those places and for ideological & political reasons Americans would not be as interested in whether they were Communist or Fascist.
Original post by NJA
Thanks.
The US did Austria, I wonder why they missed out Communist countries?
I guess partly because the waves of immigrants who came to the US didn't really come from those places and for ideological & political reasons Americans would not be as interested in whether they were Communist or Fascist.

Most post war immigrants into the states came from Eastern Europe.
Reply 12
Most post war immigrants into the states came from Eastern Europe.
Yes, but we are not talking "post war".

I would rep this comment but it says i cant, take a note please :smile:

It's fairly clear which country's Germany overrun.

Pretty much all of mainland Europe with the exception of Spain, Portugal, the Vatican and Switzerland. Plus Norway.

With regards to Asia though that was more Japan than Germany the Japanese had been pulverizing the Koreans for a while... they still hate the Japs for it :L
With regards to Europe Italy wasn't over run and im sure Norway was wasn't it?
Original post by Soldieroffortune
I would rep this comment but it says i cant, take a note please :smile:

With regards to Asia though that was more Japan than Germany the Japanese had been pulverizing the Koreans for a while... they still hate the Japs for it :L
With regards to Europe Italy wasn't over run and im sure Norway was wasn't it?

Norway was. Early on. A British and French expedition was sent in 1940. In fact, one of the deception plans for d day was tk get the Germans thinking we'd invade Norway.

Italy was overrun when it switched sides in 43.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Norway was. Early on. A British and French expedition was sent in 1940. In fact, one of the deception plans for d day was tk get the Germans thinking we'd invade Norway.

It's almost 75 years to the day since the evacuation which is even more miraculous than what happened at Dunkirk!

Uploaded at top of my public profile.
(edited 8 years ago)

Italy was overrun when it switched sides in 43.

I seem to remember it didn't go so well?
The Germans would have to be mighty stupid to think that would work though. Ha ah yes, they lived to regret that one many an Italian soldier was slaughtered for their treachery especially since it was the second time..
Original post by Soldieroffortune
I seem to remember it didn't go so well?
The Germans would have to be mighty stupid to think that would work though. Ha ah yes, they lived to regret that one many an Italian soldier was slaughtered for their treachery especially since it was the second time..

It worked very well. The Germans did a surprisingly good job on the defence of Italy under Keselring.

Worth watching the 'world at war' tough old guy episode. Italy was one of the toughest front lines of ww2
(edited 8 years ago)
Belarus, Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania, estonianand the Ukraine. Some would also argue Austria.

Invaded allies who turned. Italy, Hungary and Romania.

Had a crack at Tunisia, Libya and Egypt with Italian suppprt.

And also got te Channel Islands.

You have inconsistencies here,

If Italy is included, so must the Soviet Union (or Russia depending on your methodology). Neither were wholly overrun but both had areas of occupation.

If you are using present states then rightfully you should include Belarus and Ukraine but also the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Moldova, Montenegro (and the other ex-Yugoslav states). If you are using historic territories, then Belarus and Ukraine would barely qualify (save for their anomalous UN membership).

You should include the Free City of Danzig if the Channel Islands are included.

San Marino was occupied by Germany late in the Italian campaign and Monaco somewhat earlier.

Finland was invaded by Germany in 1944
It worked very well. The Germans did a surprisingly good job on the defence of Italy under Keselring.

Worth watching the 'world at war' tough old guy episode. Italy was one of the toughest front lines of ww2

I was referring to being fooled into thinking Norway was the target, Indeed my grand father commanded a field gun battery there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending