The Student Room Group

Premier League to become sponsorless from 16/17

http://www.teamtalk.com/premier-league/9875425/Premier-League-sponsorless-after-2017

The Premier League has announced a decision not have a title sponsor from season 2016/2017.

The move reflects the organisation's desire to mirror major American sports leagues like the NBA and NFL in presenting a 'clean' brand. Having been sponsored by Barclays since 2004, in 2016 the competition will be known simply as 'The Premier League'.

Premier League sources have stressed their new sponsorship strategy will not impinge on their clubs' ability to pursue their own individual commercial models.
A Premier League spokesman said: "Barclays has been an excellent partner for the League throughout their sponsorship of the competition and we look forward to working with them in 2015/16, the final season of their title sponsorship."

The Premier League did not have a title sponsor in its inaugural 1992/93 season of before signing a four-year deal with brewers Carling - at the time the biggest in British sport. Carling subsequently paid triple its initial amount to secure a four-year extention to their original deal, before Barclaycard took over in a three-year contract beginning in 2001.

Barclays agreed an initial three-year sponsorship deal in 2004 and subsequent extensions saw the value rise to a £120million paid for the existing three-year sponsorship in 2012. However the bank indicated in March that they would not seek to renew the deal when it expires at the end of the 2015/16 season.

A step in the right direction I suppose, although I can't help but feel that clean brand is just a move to sell regionalised sponsorships (so in America it becomes the Budweiser premier league, the emirates premier league in the middle east etc.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Although its a minor step for the Premier League, nothing is going to change on the basis of pricing and what not, tickets are still gonna be a bomb shell, distribution of wealth still won't exist etc.

One small step at a time though.
Original post by Tony_LeaS
Although its a minor step for the Premier League, nothing is going to change on the basis of pricing and what not, tickets are still gonna be a bomb shell, distribution of wealth still won't exist etc.

One small step at a time though.

Apparently the FA cup is going to be sponsored by Emirated. FML.
Original post by orange crush
Apparently the FA cup is going to be sponsored by Emirated. FML.

Make that one step forward 3 steps back. Good job FA.
They say it's because they want to encourage the clubs to persue their own commercial models, but I also read that Barclays were unwilling to pay even more for the price of the naming rights in relation to the new TV deal. Could see the team's sponsorship deals becoming even more fragmented, what's to stop a team having a sponsor on their shirt, a different one for naming rights to home games, another for cup games etc.
Original post by The Shed End
what's to stop a team having a sponsor on their shirt,

each player getting their own customized sponsored shirt, could allow for a great deal of banter tbf.
Original post by joey11223
each player getting their own customized sponsored shirt, could allow for a great deal of banter tbf.

That would be dreadful for the game, but if it's for the banter then you can't really argue against it tbh.
Reply 7
Not bothered if the FA Cup is called 'the FA Cup sponsored by Emirates', but if it becomes the 'Emirates FA Cup' I'll fume.
Original post by Mackay
Not bothered if the FA Cup is called 'the FA Cup sponsored by Emirates', but if it becomes the 'Emirates FA Cup' I'll fume.

Might aswell give yourself a head start on the fuming because pretty sure its the latter. "The magic of the FA Cup"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I really can't understand why people care so much about sponsorship. It's also funny that this is being compared to the NBA at a time when they're now considering allowing more sponsorship

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest