The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Triggered myself :cry2: Really need to learn how to choose what to read and what not to read when on Facebook :sigh:

:jumphug: can PM me if it would help? Might not make a lot of sense but I'm happy to listen/read/try and reply in some way :redface:

Original post by Crystalz

Spoiler

:console:

Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
I often hear voices and whispering in my ears. And I'm being serious - do yoh think that's normal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not normal, you're definitely not alone with it though. Hopefully one of the other voice hearers here will be more help but it would probably be worth making a GP appointment about and you can go from there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
Does it bother you?

Come to think of it...not really.

I guess I got used to it over the years
Come to think of it...not really.

I guess I got used to it over the years

I've read some studies which show that a not insignificant number of "normal" people hear things to varying degrees, only as it doesn't bother them they don't access MH support.

As you mention it's been going on a long time and, correct me if I'm wrong, it doesn't seem to be getting any worse I probably wouldn't go to the doctor about it. I would say that if hearing this whispering and voices does bother you then seeing a doctor is a good idea.
Pretty much slept all day. Two close friends are coming to see my this weekend apparently, don't know if I want to see them though. I don't really want to do anything.
I've read some studies which show that a not insignificant number of "normal" people hear things to varying degrees, only as it doesn't bother them they don't access MH support.

As you mention it's been going on a long time and, correct me if I'm wrong, it doesn't seem to be getting any worse I probably wouldn't go to the doctor about it. I would say that if hearing this whispering and voices does bother you then seeing a doctor is a good idea.

I guess sometimes, when I'm distracted and I drift off I hear them more acutely. Most are unintelligible, but I get short snippets of phrases like from a book and in different languages, some of which I don't even know. Yes it's been going for a long time, but I was only ever worried once or twice at the start.

What do you think it is?
I guess sometimes, when I'm distracted and I drift off I hear them more acutely. Most are unintelligible, but I get short snippets of phrases like from a book and in different languages, some of which I don't even know. Yes it's been going for a long time, but I was only ever worried once or twice at the start.

What do you think it is?

I'm not a doctor so couldn't possibly diagnose you. If you talk to your GP he might refer you to a psychiatrist. However, antipsychotics (the class of drugs given to people who have auditory hallucinations) have some pretty nasty side effects and so if they're not having a significant impact on your life I'd be inclined to stay clear. I hear voices pretty frequently but they're extremely aggressive and not something I'm able to put up with without meds.

http://www.intervoiceonline.org/about-voices/essential-facts

This is an interesting page, particularly points 2 & 3.
Does it bother you?

are the people having conversations?
I'm so upset about feeling neglected by 'friends' that I feel internally numb.
Original post by Alicemidgetgem
are the people having conversations?

Are you referring to Ser Alex's symptoms or mine? :smile:
furryface12
:hugs:

My quote button is not working but thanks. Managed to ground myself and bit and distract myself with my mum's computer woes :redface: Think I might have an early night, just to avoid anything kicking off though :colondollar:

Crystalz
:frown:

Don't know how to console you but just wanted you to know I read your post :hugs:

IDukem
:frown:

Huge hugs :jumphug: We love you! #TeamDukey
Original post by IDukem
I'm so upset about feeling neglected by 'friends' that I feel internally numb.

:hugs: Can PM if you want?

x

Sorry to hear that you're struggling, can PM or text if either of those would help. :console:

Huge hugs :jumphug: We love you! #TeamDukey

I would go into detail, but you all heard over and over and over and over again. I'm fighting back tears cause I honestly don't know what I can do :sad:

Original post by Pathway
:hugs: Can PM if you want?

I appreciate that offer, but it's nothing new :redface: Thank you though! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Oxford is so stressful especially when feeling ill. I've gone back home for the weekend but can't stop freaking out about how much work I have to catch up on. Wish I could figure out ways to relax and stop stressing.
Original post by Pathway
Sorry to hear that you're struggling, can PM or text if either of those would help. :console:

Thanks, have calmed down for the most part. Think I just need to not read that particular article again or dwell on it too much, lest I upset myself further :redface:

Original post by IDukem
I would go into detail, but you all heard over and over and over and over again. I'm fighting back tears cause I honestly don't know what I can do :sad:

:frown: :console: :jumphug:

Original post by StarlightSmiles
Oxford is so stressful especially when feeling ill. I've gone back home for the weekend but can't stop freaking out about how much work I have to catch up on. Wish I could figure out ways to relax and stop stressing.

If it would ever help to PM someone who gets what it's like to have mental health problems whilst at Oxford, do feel free (am a Woosta alumna) :yes:
Original post by IDukem

I appreciate that offer, but it's nothing new :redface: Thank you though! :smile:

Well, ok, hope things get better for you soon.

Thanks, have calmed down for the most part. Think I just need to not read that particular article again or dwell on it too much, lest I upset myself further :o:(
:console:
:jumphug:If it would ever help to PM someone who gets what it's like to have mental health problems whilst at Oxford, do feel free (am a Woosta alumna) :yes:

:hugs:
Pathway
:lovehug:

Really appreciate you writing, though :colondollar: Sorry, should have said that in previous post :getmecoat:
If it would ever help to PM someone who gets what it's like to have mental health problems whilst at Oxford, do feel free (am a Woosta alumna) :yes:

Thanks. :smile:
So much work looming over my head all the time.

Med question : I've been told to take sertraline in the morning rather than evening to make sure it doesn't make my sleep restless . Will this make me drowsy in the day?
Really appreciate you writing, though :colondollar: Sorry, should have said that in previous post :getmecoat:

It's ok, I didn't see it like that. Hopefully things improve soon. :console:

--------------------

Considering taking a break from the MHSS sooner than planned. Doubt I'll be lucid enough to post here when I go back home.
Original post by Pathway
Well, ok, hope things get better for you soon.

I'm sorry for not accepting, I really am! Thank you :hugs: I hope you're okay :smile:

Thanks also to TLG (my iPod wont let me quote you :redface:) :hugs:
Original post by IDukem
I'm sorry for not accepting, I really am! Thank you :hugs: I hope you're okay :smile:

Thanks also to TLG (my iPod wont let me quote you :redface:) :hugs:

Oh no! It was an offer, you didn't have to take me up on it. Just if you needed to talk or wanted to talk, I wanted you to know that the offer is there. I'm ok.

Latest