The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
Thanks!

Essentially you know it always takes 36ms for V to halve in value. This is because, for exponential decay the same decrease is observed over equal time intervals.

As E is proportional to V squared, this means that when E becomes E/16, V must have halved again to become V/4.

This means that the time for V to halve twice from its initial value and therefore become V/4 is:

36ms + 36ms = 72 ms

Does that help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This would be the best way to approach that question because the change in voltage is an exact multiple of the voltage at 36 ms.
I don't examiners will give inexact values so yeah, this is the easiest way to get the answer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2681
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
This would be the best way to approach that question because the change in voltage is an exact multiple of the voltage at 36 ms.
I don't examiners will give inexact values so yeah, this is the easiest way to get the answer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank my teacher lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Oh, sorry, i meant to write 72ms as i worked with ms in the question.
And yeah, you're correct in saying that you cannot assume the proportionality of t with C as C is constant, but this proportionality has a different sense. t is proportional to c means that the greater the capacitance the longer the time the capacitor takes to discharge as it can contain more charge. I needed that proportionality to see how the voltage varies with time. If, for example, the greater the capacitance the less time it would take to discharge then proportionally would differ. It would become :
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433590500.968169.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, I understand.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by getback339
yeah thanks for the reply, im not too sure i get the difference between A and B though

Graph A shows that as frequency increases toward the natural frequency the amplitude decreases and Graph B shows that as frequency increases towards natural frequency the amplitude increases.

Graph A's story is incorrect so it has to be Graph B.

Does that help?
Original post by Jed-Singh
Can anyone help me with the multiple choice questions that involve 'when potential or field strength etc' equals 0. I never get them correct :frown:

Do you have an example question, it'd be easier to explain.
can someone help with q15 in mc section of the june 2014 paper?
Original post by Disney0702
Do you have an example question, it'd be easier to explain.

June 2013 Q13 :smile:
Original post by coqthepoliceman
can someone help with q15 in mc section of the june 2014 paper?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433592670.383319.jpg

This is how I did it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
June 2013 Q13 :smile:

IMG_20150606_131841~01.jpg

Does that help?
IMG_20150606_131841~01.jpg

Does that help?

X=d-y! Youre a genius, i never thought of doing that. Thanks so much :smile:
X=d-y! Youre a genius, i never thought of doing that. Thanks so much :smile:

You're welcome :smile:
Thank you so much Lauren! :smile:

I've definitely never seen this before! Had you never uploaded this I would've probably freaked out in the exam hall.

And the attachment you released is in good condition. :wink:

Oh good, it worked then (stupid internet!). No problem, it's a little worrying how many teachers don't bother mentioning this at all - our teacher is virtually useless and even he managed to give us them! :smile:
Graph A shows that as frequency increases toward the natural frequency the amplitude decreases and Graph B shows that as frequency increases towards natural frequency the amplitude increases.

Graph A's story is incorrect so it has to be Graph B.

Does that help?

oh yeah haha, just confused there, thanks anyway
Original post by getback339
oh yeah haha, just confused there, thanks anyway

You're welcome
Can someone explain something to me please.

Q8 Jan '08

I understand that the answer is C but I do not see how D could be incorrect.
Reply 2695

Q8 Jan '08

C=Q/V

Which basically a graidient of this graphs.
So X has greater gradient than Y.
So Y has less gradient than X so less capacitance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Q8 Jan '08

C=Q/V

For Y, The p.d is larger than the charge. Shown by a smaller gradient. So capacitance isn't increasing.
Reply 2697

Q8 Jan '08

The gradient of the graph is representative of the capacitance. As X has a greater gradient, its capacitance is greater.

Both are straight lines - in other words the gradient, and hence the capacitance is constant for both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Thank my teacher lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey man, hows it going?

When we were discussing about the six markers a while back you said you thought it would be on SHM or circular motion. If the six marker is on SHM, what do you think they will ask? or like what would they be looking to see in your answers?
Original post by a.a.k
C=Q/VWhich basically a graidient of this graphs.So X has greater gradient than Y.So Y has less gradient than X so less capacitancePosted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Adangu
C=Q/V

For Y, The p.d is larger than the charge. Shown by a smaller gradient. So capacitance isn't increasing.

Thank you very much both of you, that makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending