The Student Room Group

Can You Writing Under The Lines in GCSE??

Poll

Do you sometimes write below the lines?

In literally all of my exams, because I write a LOT I always end up going 1- a max of 3/4 lines under the lines that they provide in the exam. I`ve done this in my edexcel, ocr and aqa exams. I have NEVER gone out of the box however that they say you cannot write in, and I havent written on pages indicated as "Bank Page".

For the longer qs I always end up writing 2 or 3 squashed lines right at the bottom of the page, but keep above the margin where the paper can be scanned.

For some short 1 line answers where there e are 2 consecutive answers right on to of eachother I always end up squashing a few words under the first line and inbetween the second line.

And finally, on questions where there is like a 3 marker on a full page, sometimes I write up to around 1/2 of the page, sometimes past the box where it says [Please turn over] or whatever, would this be ok?

I`m just a bit anxiious, will these answers be marked properly??

Scroll to see replies

Any input from an actual examiner would be nice :smile:
should be, because they scan in the page so what ever is on the page should be marked! probably your best bet to ask for extra paper though :smile:
Original post by alexxandra
should be, because they scan in the page so what ever is on the page should be marked! probably your best bet to ask for extra paper though :smile:

I just don`t like asking for an extra sheet to write 3 words on it :colondollar:

It also wastes a lot of time, most of my examiners are half blind and dont notice you waving your arms around for a good couple of minutes, and then they slowly walk to you and ask what you want, and then they slowly walk to the front of the hall to get paper, and then they have to slowly walk back :colonhash:
I used to ask for extra paper right at the start of exams so I had it already when I needed it.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I used to ask for extra paper right at the start of exams so I had it already when I needed it.

I would do that for next exams but they dont involve much writing at all :redface:
Reply 6
Wait... what??? If you write under the box your answer is not marked?????
OMG I did that yesterday!!! :O
Original post by Ash Kay
Wait... what??? If you write under the box your answer is not marked?????
OMG I did that yesterday!!! :O

Nononono

I did that for literally all of my exams :P

I was just asking, if it would DEFINATELY be marked, cause the teachers say as long as your answer is within the page margin, it should be marked :smile:
Reply 8
I saw this video on youtube before my exams and I was like oh they'll send my paper for reviewing
https://youtu.be/2_ruJ5i8ZJ4
Reply 9
Original post by Mastermind1000000
Nononono

I did that for literally all of my exams :P

I was just asking, if it would DEFINATELY be marked, cause the teachers say as long as your answer is within the page margin, it should be marked :smile:

Oh right phew!! I've done it for my other exams too despite having extra paper :tongue:
And I agree it's a hassle using extra paper! :biggrin:
Can we talk about the title of this thread for one second?

Spoiler

Soo, any examiner here?
Is there not extra paper at the back of the booklet you can write on?
Original post by Larissa14
Is there not extra paper at the back of the booklet you can write on?

Not on most papers :frown:
When it's scanned if it appears to carry on, examiners will mark the script digitally and mark a physical copy (normally)
Original post by samjfranklin
When it's scanned if it appears to carry on, examiners will mark the script digitally and mark a physical copy (normally)

I know this is the case with edexcel, but does this also apply to ocr and aqa?
I know this is the case with edexcel, but does this also apply to ocr and aqa?

If they only get to see the (eg) 2 lines of a question's response area and it is clear that your answer has not finished/continues below they will not ignore that.
Not on most papers :frown:

Oh right :frown:
Don't worry it will get marked . I do the same in about every paper and it always gets marker. They can't not Mark it if you have wrote the answer as long it is clearly labeled
In literally all of my exams, because I write a LOT I always end up going 1- a max of 3/4 lines under the lines that they provide in the exam. I`ve done this in my edexcel, ocr and aqa exams. I have NEVER gone out of the box however that they say you cannot write in, and I havent written on pages indicated as "Bank Page".

For the longer qs I always end up writing 2 or 3 squashed lines right at the bottom of the page, but keep above the margin where the paper can be scanned.

For some short 1 line answers where there e are 2 consecutive answers right on to of eachother I always end up squashing a few words under the first line and inbetween the second line.

And finally, on questions where there is like a 3 marker on a full page, sometimes I write up to around 1/2 of the page, sometimes past the box where it says [Please turn over] or whatever, would this be ok?

I`m just a bit anxiious, will these answers be marked properly??

You'll be fine because everything is within the boxes
Original post by samjfranklin
If they only get to see the (eg) 2 lines of a question's response area and it is clear that your answer has not finished/continues below they will not ignore that.

kk thnx!

Quick Reply

Latest