The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by domcandrews
Researchers isolated mitochondria - placed them in a solution with a very low w.p. The outer membrane ruptured, releasing the contents of the intermembrane space. Further treatment of mitoblasts led to exposure of matrix. Allowed researchers to identify enzymes in the mitochondria, and to work out that the link reaction and Krebs cycle occurred in the matrix, and the enzymes for the E.T.C were embedded in the mitochondrial membrane. Electron transfer in mitoblasts did not produce ATP - conclusion that the intermembrane space was also involved. ATP not made if the mushroom-shaped parts of the stalked particles were removed from the inner m/r of the intact mitochondria. ATP not made in the presence of oligomycin (blocks the flow of protons through the ion channel part of ATP synthase). In the intact mitochondria: The p.d across the membrane was -200mV, being more negative on the matrix side than on the intermembrane space side and also pH of the intermembrane space was lower than that of the matrix.

Probably don't need to mention all of these but hopes this gives you an idea of what you would write!

Awesome! But watch out to rupture the outer mitochondrial membrane you'd need to place them in a solution with a very high water potential, not low. That's one of the mistakes in the book :wink:
any predictions for f214?
Original post by HeyThereHarry
Awesome! But watch out to rupture the outer mitochondrial membrane you'd need to place them in a solution with a very high water potential, not low. That's one of the mistakes in the book :wink:

oh ok, lol one of them things i've never really thought about just learnt aha
cheers
Anyone know where I can find last years unit 4 and 5 papers?
Original post by khannnn
Anyone know where I can find last years unit 4 and 5 papers?

http://www.thebiotutor.com/past-papers3.html
What is the difference between neurotransmitter and an impulse ?
Reply 1406
Original post by Maham88
What is the difference between neurotransmitter and an impulse ?

A neurotransmitter is the chemical that carries the message across the synapse. An impulse is the action potential caused by the depolarisation of the neurone membrane. Acetylcholine is the neurotransmitter in cholinergic synapses.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1407
Can someone pleeaaaase explain excretion in detail, I always get confused with whats in the filtrate and capillaries
Describe the role of glycolysis in cellular respiration. (6)
Sorry to be an annoyance - could somebody advice me please?

Have you seen the spec notes floating around on here? Do they have everything I need to know for Monday for a B grade minimum (that's all I need in this considering I've left revision till today)

Are they missing anything? And which past papers are key?

Thanks in advance
Original post by WBN
Can someone pleeaaaase explain excretion in detail, I always get confused with whats in the filtrate and capillaries

What part of excretion specifically?
Are electron transport chains and electron transport systems the same?
Original post by WBN

Ions, water, glucose, amino acids and urea all get filtered.
Proteins are the only thing that remain in the capillaries because they're too large.
Glucose and amino acids then go through selective reabsorption in the PCT.
Do you need more details?
Original post by Mellyx
Hi, for the photosynthesis module do we need to know the different colours and wavelengths of light that each pigment absorbs and reflects? :smile:

I would learn colours reflected but I don't think you need wavelengths.
Chlorophyll reflects green and absorbs red, xanthophyll reflects yellow and absorbs blue green, and carotene reflects orange and absorbs blue green :smile:
can anyone expalin the secretion of ADH please?
Original post by EspDe97
Pregnancy:
During pregnancy the placenta produces the hormone human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG). Some of it is lost to the urine and only pregnant women produce hCG, so a urine sample is used to test for pregnancy as hCG will only be present if the woman is pregnant. When a woman takes a pregnancy test, urine passes into the reaction zone of the test stick and some of the monoclonal antibodies there bind to hCG, others do not. These monoclonal antibodies recognise one specific feature of hCG and will only bind to that one; they have blue beads attached to them. All of the monoclonal antibodies pass down to the testing zone which contains polyclonal antibodies which are immobilised. These polyclonal antibodies can bind to numerous parts of hCG so are able to bind despite the fact that the monoclonal ones are attached. Since the polyclonal antibodies are immobilised on the strip, the hCG and thus the blue beads are fixed in this zone, causing it to turn blue. The monoclonal antibodies that didn't bind to hCG move along the strip to the control zone which also contains immobilised antibodies. The monoclonal antibodies bind to the control antibodies, which turns this zone blue as well since all the monoclonal antibodies have blue beads attached. Two blue lines indicates pregnancy.

Anabolic steroids:
The misuse of anabolic steroids can be tested for using gas chromatography. A sample of urine is vaporised in the presence of a gaseous solvent and is passed down a long tube lined by an absorption agent. Every substance will dissolve differently in the gas and each will remain in the gas for a unique retention time. Eventually, each substance will come out of the gas and be absorbed onto the lining of the tube by the absorption agent. This is then analysed to create a chromatogram. Chromatograms are also produced in this way of drug samples so that different drugs can be identified and quantified in the chromatogram of the urine sample.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 1416
Original post by HeyThereHarry
Describe the role of glycolysis in cellular respiration. (6)

glycolysis is a stage in both aerobic and anaerobic respiration. It is the first stage in aerobic respiration and takes place in the cytosol. During glycolysis, each molecule of glucose is split into 2 molecules of pyruvate. There are 4 ATP molecules produced, however the net gain is only 2 since the other two molecules are used at the beginning of glycolysis to hydrolyse ATP for a removal of a phosphate group. NADH (2 molecules) are also formed which are coenzymes and carry hydrogen atoms into the cristae for oxidative phosphorylation where it is split into protons and electrons and the protons are used for the generation of ATP. The pyruvate during aerobic respiration is transported to the mitochondrial matrix for the Link Reaction and Krebs Cycle for again generation of ATP and NADH. During anaerobic respiration however, the pyruvate formed from glycolysis, after respiration is converted to lactate in mammals by lactate dehyrogenase and pyruvate accepts the hydrogen from NADH which becomes reoxidised. This allows glycolysis to continue so small amounts of ATP can still be generated for mitosis, active transport, anabolism, muscle contraction.
Could someone have a look at these notes, they were posted on another thread, very spec relevant, are they good enough to get an A/B? Or should I stick to textbook?
Original post by baffledchick
Could someone have a look at these notes, they were posted on another thread, very spec relevant, are they good enough to get an A/B? Or should I stick to textbook?

They are good enough for an A/B if combined with past papers :smile: I think papers allow you to learn what the questions are asking for and give you practise with answering suggest questions. :smile:
Reply 1419
Original post by katyweymouth97
can anyone expalin the secretion of ADH please?

- Osmoreceptors in the hypothalamus monitor the water potential of the blood. If the water potential decreases, water moves out by osmosis of the osmoreceptors which causes them to shrink.
- Neurosecretory cells produce and release ADH so if the osmoreceptors shrink for example, the neurosecretory cells are stimulated.
- ADH is manufactured from the cell body in the hypothalamus and if the neurosecretory cells are stimulated, an action potential is sent down the axon to the terminal bulb in the posterior pituitary gland (where ADH is stored) and ADH is released.
- ADH is transported in capillaries around the body.
- Once the water potential of the blood increases again, ADH production decreases.
- ADH is broken down in the liver (deamination etc) and has a half-life of 20mins

hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending