The Student Room Group

GCSE maths edexcel paper 2 - predicted topics!

These are the predicted topics which may come up on the paper 2 edexcel gcse maths higher tier, the ones stated essential/important to revise are likely to come up.

Made by MathsWatch, attached are the relevant clip numbers for each point.
Reply 1
Is there any other topic in the a/a* grade area that you think might come up and is worth revising?
Original post by Sheena_G
Is there any other topic in the a/a* grade area that you think might come up and is worth revising?

Hi. I'll attach a list I gave my students in the next post, but A/A* topics I would recommend looking at are

Bounds of a calculation

Simplifying algebraic fractions

Simultaneous equations (one linear, one quadratic/equation of a circle)

Sine/Cosine rule

Vectors

Here's a list of suggested topics that I gave my students last night.

I went through the non-calculator paper, noted which topic areas came up and came up with a list of other topic areas (there tend not to be repeats, so I wouldn't be expecting e.g. another transformation of graphs question).

Number

Some calculation where you are required to write down all of the digits on your calculator.
HINT: Remember the BIDMAS rule for those not using the fx-83ES or higher model Casio calculators.

Percentages

Reverse percentages

Simple and compound interest

Upper and lower bounds

If the question is later in the paper, it may involve working out the upper / lower bound of a calculation.

Algebra

3-D coordinates

Direct and inverse proportion

Graphs

Linear (y = mx + c)

Drawing the graph where the equation is given

Working out the equation of a line parallel to a given line

Working out the equation of a line perpendicular to a given line

Curves

Drawing the graph where the equation is given
HINT: Use TABLE mode (MODE + 3) on the fx- calculators

Simplifying an algebraic fraction, e.g. (x2-5x+6)/(x2-9)
(factorise the numerator, denominator, then cancel down)

Simultaneous equations
(either two linear, or one linear and one curve)

Trial and improvement

Geometry and measures

Bearings (often with trigonometry)

Construction

Similar shapes and solids

Trigonometry (SOHCAHTOA, sine rule, cosine rule)

Vectors

Handling data

Estimate of the mean

Histograms

(edited 8 years ago)
I don't any transformations or stuff like that will come up. Maybe boxplots?
Original post by StressedByDay
I don't any transformations or stuff like that will come up. Maybe boxplots?

Worth a look. Stem and leaf and cumulative frequency were on the non-calculator paper, so I would suspect a comparison of two boxplots for two sets of data (possibly with one of them having to be constructed with the quartiles, lowest and highest value).

Tip for comparing two box plots:

One measure of average, e.g. compare medians, then interpret the result in the context of the question.

One measure of spread, e.g. compare the range or interquartile range then interpret the result in the context of the question.

i think trigonometry graphs could come up
Reply 7
Thanks for this.
For handling data, I'll also add stratified sampling.
Are there any topics that cannot come up on paper 2 or are all topics able to come up on paper 2?
Original post by Sanderm1
Are there any topics that cannot come up on paper 2 or are all topics able to come up on paper 2?

Personally, I don't think that things tested in a bit of detail on Paper 1 are likely to appear again on Paper 2. So, e.g. I would not be expecting to see another probability tree diagram, or transformation of graphs question.
this is made up of D/C
Original post by M.C. Math
Personally, I don't think that things tested in a bit of detail on Paper 1 are likely to appear again on Paper 2. So, e.g. I would not be expecting to see another probability tree diagram, or transformation of graphs question.

There wasn't any probability tree questions. At least, I think not.

How accurate are maths watch predictions? I think I should probably revise all topic in all cases.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by studentyeah
this is made up of D/C

If you scroll down, it is not.
Original post by Sherry202
There wasn't any probability tree questions. At least, I think not.

How accurate are maths watch predictions? I think I should probably revise all topic in all cases.

Hi. A tree diagram could be used for the infamous sweets question, although only one branch would be needed.

The MathsWatch list further up is a very long list. It seems to cover pretty much the whole specification, which is partly why I posted my summary that I gave to my students.
Original post by M.C. Math
Hi. A tree diagram could be used for the infamous sweets question, although only one branch would be needed.

The MathsWatch list further up is a very long list. It seems to cover pretty much the whole specification, which is partly why I posted my summary that I gave to my students.

Thanks for clarifying! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending