The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C3 Maths June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizard54142
I am feeling reasonably confident, this is one of my nicer modules. I need full UMS though, so that will be tough.

I am also doing C4, M1, FP2, NM. I have already done FP3, D1 and M2 this exam season. Long way to go...

Ah, good luck i'm sure you can get full ums! And good luck in your other exams, it will all be over soon lol...

I'm taking up further maths next year so hopefully I won't have to retake any of this years exams alongside it :redface:
Reply 21
Original post by Leechayy
Atm I can see myself get 80% in C3 and 100% in C4:tongue:
FP3 vectors makes C4 EZPZ:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

cross product ftw :biggrin:
Reply 22
Can't do proof at all. The jan 12 proof I don't understand like what does that even mean. 'prove or disprove: no cube of an integer has 2 as its units digit' ehhh?
Original post by _caz_
can't do proof at all. The jan 12 proof i don't understand like what does that even mean. 'prove or disprove: No cube of an integer has 2 as its units digit' ehhh?

8^3 = 512

qed.
Sup! I've finished all my AS exams so I can focus all my attention on this exam now- my last one :wink: Planning to get through all papers from June 14 to Jan 07 between now and next Thursday so yeah, hopefully I should be okay :wink:
Does anybody have any good resources for C3?
Reply 25
8^3 = 512

qed.

Oh wow. And there I was trying to throw algebra at it. great. I really am not good at proof :/ Thanks for that :smile:

(I'm going to sound really dumb now but what does qed mean)
Original post by _Caz_
Oh wow. And there I was trying to throw algebra at it. great. I really am not good at proof :/ Thanks for that :smile:

(I'm going to sound really dumb now but what does qed mean)

If it looks complicated it's probably not true, so you have to find a counterexample :smile: QED is Latin, "quod erat demonstrandum", meaning "which had to be proven (has been proved)". It's something nerds like me say :wink:
Reply 27
If it looks complicated it's probably not true, so you have to find a counterexample :smile: QED is Latin, "quod erat demonstrandum", meaning "which had to be proven (has been proved)". It's something nerds like me say :wink:

ahhh you learn something new everyday- and thanks for the tip!
Reply 28
The only bit I don't 'get' in C3 is the when you have two curves, and you're asked to calculate the area of the shaded region - do we just minus the two area?

Jan 12 had a really tricky one where you had to use a rectangle - integral to find the area.

Can anyone help?
Reply 29
*subscribing to thread*
Original post by Robbo54
The only bit I don't 'get' in C3 is the when you have two curves, and you're asked to calculate the area of the shaded region - do we just minus the two area?

Jan 12 had a really tricky one where you had to use a rectangle - integral to find the area.

Can anyone help?

Can you link the paper?
Reply 31
Can you link the paper?

http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/2012_Jan_c3.pdf

9(iv) and 8(iii)
Reply 32
What are the different ways to prove something?

I did this paper a couple days ago! You only need one integration for both questions, the other areas you can work out geometrically as they are triangles and rectangles.
Original post by chem@uni
What are the different ways to prove something?

The best proof is an algebraic proof. However you can also prove by exhaustion.
Reply 35
I did this paper a couple days ago! You only need one integration for both questions, the other areas you can work out geometrically as they are triangles and rectangles.

That's the bit I don't understand, I couldn't figure out how a rectangle - integral would give the area.
Original post by Robbo54
That's the bit I don't understand, I couldn't figure out how a rectangle - integral would give the area.

I'm assuming this is 9iv)

Consider the line x=2, and the horizontal line that passes through Q. These lines (and the x and y axes) make a rectangle. f(x) and g(x) are inverse functions, so the same applies to g(x)
So this unit is basically 70% Integration + Differentiation (Calculus)

I really like questions like 'show that the exact area of the shaded region shown in Fig. X is bla bla'

Because in the end you'll realise whether your steps were right / wrong
Is there a quick way or rule to know when to use integration by substitution or by parts? Thanks :smile:
Original post by papayarama
Is there a quick way or rule to know when to use integration by substitution or by parts? Thanks :smile:

If its one x term, sub.
If there's more than 1, parts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending