The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel History - Unit 3 - Option A - Revolution and Conflict in England

I seem to be like the only one who is doing this unit in history.

Struggling a bit with the notes as my teacher is useless, anybody have good notes on side-taking for the Civil War?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Side taking has come up on every paper since the course started! I think this is the last year of the course aswell so if they through a curve ball im going to cry
Reply 2
Reckon the part A will be something late (Commonwealth/restoration) cause they've been asking loads of Personal rule and Civil War questions, which are way easier.

Hopefully the execution comes up.
My teacher said side taking will always come up for section b. I think class will come up this year since it hasn't come up previously. For section a I hope why did the settlement fail from 46-49 comes up, I don't like the Rump parliament so I wouldn't want the question to extend beyond 1649. A question on parliaments victory or the personal rule would be nice too but they have come up a lot recently.

How is everyone feeling? I have two exams on Monday. :bawling: I'm happy history is in the morning though since I can get it over and done with.
Reply 4
Original post by The.Joker
My teacher said side taking will always come up for section b. I think class will come up this year since it hasn't come up previously. For section a I hope why did the settlement fail from 46-49 comes up, I don't like the Rump parliament so I wouldn't want the question to extend beyond 1649. A question on parliaments victory or the personal rule would be nice too but they have come up a lot recently.

How is everyone feeling? I have two exams on Monday. :bawling: I'm happy history is in the morning though since I can get it over and done with.

Pretty prepared for a side taking question, I think I need to go over Cromwell again this weekend though. You got Bio on Monday aswell?
Original post by inder123
Pretty prepared for a side taking question, I think I need to go over Cromwell again this weekend though. You got Bio on Monday aswell?

Same I feel more confident for section b than section a. Yeah I have biology (AQA) on Monday, I hate it so much!
Reply 6
Haven't even bothered going over the Protectorate, pretty confident on Side-taking tbh.
Reply 7
Original post by rugger
Haven't even bothered going over the Protectorate, pretty confident on Side-taking tbh.

I am you.
Reply 8
Does anybody think they have an idea (from looking at past papers etc) at what is going to come up on Monday? Obviously side taking and the protectorate for the B question, but what about for the A?
Original post by ezzy1234
Does anybody think they have an idea (from looking at past papers etc) at what is going to come up on Monday? Obviously side taking and the protectorate for the B question, but what about for the A?

I think the settlement/Charles causing resentment from his finance of the personal rule may come up. Basically a rehash of the June 10 questions.
Reply 10
Okay - thanks. Also, please could you tell me how to structure the answers quickly? Obviously I vaguely know how but have had a teacher who has never taught the course before for the year so would love a second opinion!!
Okay - thanks. Also, please could you tell me how to structure the answers quickly? Obviously I vaguely know how but have had a teacher who has never taught the course before for the year so would love a second opinion!!

For why did the settlement fail I'd write about:

1. Charles and in general his personalitly ie he was a person who was very stubborn hence he rejected all the proposals such as the newcastle propositions. Also, the belief in divine right and how he thought he was the divine ruler as he was ordained by god etc.

2. The Scottish Alliance and how they complicated matters as they wanted a Presbyterian Church/settlement. Also how they initially sided with Parliament but then switched to the king (the engagement).

3. Parliament being divided into two- Independents and Presbyterians which meant they did not give a united settlement. Hence Charles tried to pit his enemies against each other to delay the settlement.

4. Finally how the NMA wanted a say in politics and how the soldiers were very radical due to being influenced by the Levelllers and they wanted a political say for sacrificing their lives during the war. Similarly, there were divisions between the soliders and the generals who thought the soldiers were too radical.

Also if the question extends to 53 just write a paragraph on the rump parliament, how they didn't live up to expectations and how they were very conservative. Also about Prides Purges and how it led to the Rump and some policies they made.

For resentment from Charles financial policies during the personal rule:

1. his financial measures were a success ie ship money and how everyone paid the tax up until 1639 when the first bishops war broke out. Highlighting that he was able to successfully rule and there wasn't much opposition. Also there were fears of charles indefinitely ruling without parliament.

2. His other financial policies were successful ie distraint of knighthood, monopolies, forest fines etc. However there was resentment as key figures such as Cromwell refused to pay for the distraint of knighthood. Also there was organised opposition in the form of the Puritan Network.

3.John Hampden ship money trial 1637, highlights resentment. Moral victory for Hampden as the King only won the trial narrowly hence showing some of the judges saw the taxes as unconstitutional.

4. Financial policies led to lots of resentment as Parliament were against these methods as well as MPs such as Cromwell and Hampden. These grievances were shown in the short parliament in 1640. Eventually in 1641 these financial policies were abolished.
What is everyone planning on doing for history today and tomorrow? i.e revision timetables

I've revised 1629-46 (personal rule/side taking/civil war) I'm going to revise 8pm-11pm -> execution.
Tomorrow I'm going to revise from 5:30pm-12:00am -> 1 hour on each execution, civil war, personal rule and then side taking working backwards so that the entire course if relatively fresh in memory.

For Part B: Side taking definitely comes up I'm hoping a question perhaps focused on religion (idm either way)
For Part A: I'm hoping we get AT LEAST 1x question on anything between the period 1629-49. Normally every past paper they have given 1x question at the relatively start and end of the course HOWEVER last year June 14 they had 2x Part A questions at the start. I PRAY whatever happens they don't give 2x questions at the end.

Q) What grade is everyone hoping to get on Monday exam? Also, has your teacher told you your coursework grade/mark they have marked and are going to send to the examiners?
Reply 13
Ok great thanks. So in the A Q, I pick one of them, then write an AS style 30 marker with a for, against and a conclusion. Or do it thematically, with a for and against in each paragraph?
Then in B question, I do for and against but use sources to back up my own knowledge? Like in AS?
Reply 14
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
What is everyone planning on doing for history today and tomorrow? i.e revision timetables

I've revised 1629-46 (personal rule/side taking/civil war) I'm going to revise 8pm-11pm -> execution.
Tomorrow I'm going to revise from 5:30pm-12:00am -> 1 hour on each execution, civil war, personal rule and then side taking working backwards so that the entire course if relatively fresh in memory.

For Part B: Side taking definitely comes up I'm hoping a question perhaps focused on religion (idm either way)
For Part A: I'm hoping we get AT LEAST 1x question on anything between the period 1629-49. Normally every past paper they have given 1x question at the relatively start and end of the course HOWEVER last year June 14 they had 2x Part A questions at the start. I PRAY whatever happens they don't give 2x questions at the end.

Q) What grade is everyone hoping to get on Monday exam? Also, has your teacher told you your coursework grade/mark they have marked and are going to send to the examiners?

I did really want a B, but having just looked at the grade boundaries and seen that 65% is needed to get a C I think I need to lower my expectations. My memory has a habit of going totally blank. My teacher has told us what we got in our coursework - I think I got a 42 or a 46 (big change I know - I get a bit confused haha) but obviously that's subject to moderation

Do you reckon its DEFINITE side taking will always come up? I mean it always has but have you read in a specification or examiners report thingy that they always ask a question on it? Because ive revised personal rule-prides purge and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa if side taking doesn't come up I'm dead.
Reply 16
Do you reckon its DEFINITE side taking will always come up? I mean it always has but have you read in a specification or examiners report thingy that they always ask a question on it? Because ive revised personal rule-prides purge and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa if side taking doesn't come up I'm dead.

I keep thinking that. If it doesn't come up I'll be dead too. And most of my class. My teacher said there was no guarantee, but it always has come up AND as it's the last year of the course they'd be unlikely to do anything drastic.
I keep thinking that. If it doesn't come up I'll be dead too. And most of my class. My teacher said there was no guarantee, but it always has come up AND as it's the last year of the course they'd be unlikely to do anything drastic.

I guess we'll just have to live on the edge this weekend.

I have two exams on Monday so I'll be revising a bit more of bio tomorrow. I'm just gonna plan a few more side a questions and look over my notes for side taking and any events I feel sketchy on. I feel pretty good with history overall. I'm gonna try to be up from 6 am since I revise best in the mornings, probs will revise till 6/7pm (with regular breaks ofc).

I got an A for cw, I'd like an A* tbh but to guarantee it I'll need 116/120 ums which is equivalent to dropping only 4 raw marks in the entire paper! I'll be over the moon with an A though.

Ok great thanks. So in the A Q, I pick one of them, then write an AS style 30 marker with a for, against and a conclusion. Or do it thematically, with a for and against in each paragraph?
Then in B question, I do for and against but use sources to back up my own knowledge? Like in AS?

Yeah its just your bog standard 30 marker structure.

For the 40 marker I only do 3 paragraphs (each are very long though) on each of the sources. I use own knowledge to back up the sources if that makes sense i.e. if source 7 argues religion was an important factor I quote from it and I might use the prayer book rebellion/LAudian reforms etc to support it.
Reply 19
I guess we'll just have to live on the edge this weekend.

I think it's the only way to live, in regard to A level History.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending