The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History 6HI03/C2 - USA - June 8th 2015 Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Reckon for Part A it'll be Political and Social Tenisons (KKK etc) and Impact of WWII/Prosperity Post-WII. I reckon the Great Depression will be on why it intensified rather than causes, from looking at past papers! Good Luck everyone :smile:
Original post by JosephineAshanti
if you're doing the Edexcel paper, Roosevelt's policy will only appear in the part A section with reference to the opposition he received during his presidency and how successful they were ( these include opposition from the right & left wing, the supreme court, and individuals such as Huey Long and Charles Townsend . Other than that pat A will either focus on the economy during the 1920's ( the reason for the boom), social and political tensions ( KKK, Prohibition, immigration policies, the jazz age) or politics during the boom ( red scare, the coming of the women's suffrage , the republican government)

Thanks a lot, last question now I swear hahaha if its a McCarthyism question as a 30 marker how would you get 4 paragraphs out of it. For example:

Why did anti-communism affect US society so greatly in the years 1947-54? (june 14)
Or
How far do you agree with the view that McCarthyism had little impact on US society in the years 1950-54? (June 10)
Reply 42
Original post by 2blu
Reckon for Part A it'll be Political and Social Tenisons (KKK etc) and Impact of WWII/Prosperity Post-WII. I reckon the Great Depression will be on why it intensified rather than causes, from looking at past papers! Good Luck everyone :smile:

What factors would you choose for why it intensified? I haven't thought about that one!
How much of a risk am I taking by just revising POLITICAL AND SOCIAL FOR part A ????

Anyone else risking it?
Original post by stressedbrownboy
How much of a risk am I taking by just revising POLITICAL AND SOCIAL FOR part A ????

Anyone else risking it?

That's a big risk!
Original post by kimt3
What factors would you choose for why it intensified? I haven't thought about that one!

1: hoover's policies
(Voluntarism, refusal to alter policies or offer aid, tried too much too late, Hawley smoot tariffs)
2: international factors
(Britain coming out of gold standard in 1931 which caused European banks to close and become unable to repay war debts, they suspended war debts in the hope it would cause foreign powers to buy from them but they didn't)
3: underconsumption and overproduction
(Throughout the 20s, rich got richer and poor got poorer. Rich had too much money in the bank and already had everything they wanted so didn't spend anymore money, the poor began to stop buying on hire purchase because they were in too much debt. This meant nobody was buying anything whilst companies like ford and GM motors continued producing the same as they were in the 20s)
You could also talk about effects of industrialisation or the reluctance to spend from an increasingly scared and reluctant populace
Original post by kimt3

This is what I think I would include in a question asking about how the depression was prolonged.

1. Insufficient gov intervention (mainly Hoover)
2. Monetarist perspective (so the control of money supply, federal reserve etc)
3. Foreign economic crisis (Hawley-Smoot tariff, war debts etc)
4. Nature of US business (overproduction, limited competition etc)
5. Extent of Depression (Geographical extent, absence of alternate employment etc)

Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by stressedbrownboy

Anyone else risking it?

Yeah I am haha, well I've only planned for kkk, prohibition, McCarthyism and prosperity 45-54 haha I'm probably more worse off than you, if one of them 4 don't come up I'm screwed
Original post by TomRussell26
Yeah I am haha, well I've only planned for kkk, prohibition, McCarthyism and prosperity 45-54 haha I'm probably more worse off than you, if one of them 4 don't come up I'm screwed

For prosperity from 1945-54 what would you say in each paragraph? I want to write 4 but struggled to find 4 factors to talk about

What kind of question could come up for McCarthyism and what could I include? :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by kimt3

It talk a bit about the problems arising from the depression then

1. Hoover's Policies
2. Monetary Policy
3. International Situation

That'd be enough for the whole essay, seeing as there is a ton on Hoover and Monetary policies :smile:
Reply 51
could they ask about the underlying problems in the economy during the 1920's boom for part A?
Original post by emilyh.
could they ask about the underlying problems in the economy during the 1920's boom for part A?

I think so! You could include it if a question was asking you about the causes of the boom. :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by ycullebanna
I think so! You could include it if a question was asking you about the causes of the boom. :smile:

ah ok thank you! Would the underlying problems then count as a counter argument?
Original post by emilyh.
ah ok thank you! Would the underlying problems then count as a counter argument?

Oops I think I read this wrong! I think underlying problems in the 1920s (Unequal distribution of wealth etc) is actually a cause of the Great Depression?

Sorry to confuse you!
Reply 55
Ahaha no it's ok! I was confused on which category it would come up in but yes I think you're right, thank you!
Original post by ycullebanna
What kind of question could come up for McCarthyism and what could I include? :smile:

McCarthyisms impact on US society, talk about fall of china to communism, McCarthys impact on media, spy scandals etc
Original post by Frank Costello
For prosperity from 1945-54 what would you say in each paragraph? I want to write 4 but struggled to find 4 factors to talk about

Which factors do you have?
Which factors do you have?

Impact of world war 2
Increase in consumerism i.e baby boom

Not really sure what else you'd discuss
my predictions of the part a questions: social and political tensions during the boom years (restricted immigration/KKK/Prohibition/women's suffrage/the 1920s Red Scare - I highly doubt the last two though) and either opposition to the New Deal and FDR or post-ww2 prosperity

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending