The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yua
im scared

Me too. I don't feel prepared for this

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really do not understand the new evidence for Chemiosmosis. My teacher has given us a document that is like DEGREE standard. I cannot make sense of any of it.Any help?
Original post by cinderella25

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same. I feel like i've done all i can to prepare, but i still might not understand the questions
Original post by Shostakovish
I really do not understand the new evidence for Chemiosmosis. My teacher has given us a document that is like DEGREE standard. I cannot make sense of any of it.Any help?

I was only aware of three main pieces of evidence
1) pH gradient. It's higher in the inter membrane space than the matrix, which proves a proton gradient exists
2) artificial vesicles. Artificial vesicles with an ATP synthase molecule and proton pumps prove that a proton gradient can be used to make ATP (but not specifically in mitochondria)
3) pH solution. Mitochondria in slightly alkaline solution does not produce ATP, but when in acidic solution it does. This proves that a proton gradient is used to make ATP in the mitochondria.
I do aqa biology and I have to say OCR seems way harder! looking at this thread I realised we don't even cover topics in as much detail as you guys. :K:
Original post by asdfghnmbmn
I do aqa biology and I have to say OCR seems way harder! looking at this thread I realised we don't even cover topics in as much detail as you guys. :K:

You're really lucky doing AQA instead trust me, less application questions. But I suppose they can both be quite challenging. :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quick question, what solution is in the beaker when measuring the rate of photosynthesis.
Original post by kell123
Quick question, what solution is in the beaker when measuring the rate of photosynthesis.

As far as i know it water with sodium hygrogencarbonate. But please correct me anyone if this isn't quite right :smile:
Original post by maisie__x
As far as i know it water with sodium hygrogencarbonate. But please correct me anyone if this isn't quite right :smile:

Thanks that makes sense. Just to confirm the sodium hydrogencarbonate is used as source of co2.
Original post by cinderella25

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done a lot of work on f214 but I don't feel prepared either. There's an ominous feeling about it as the questions can be so obscure and the synoptic questions are a bitch. I wish they'd just ask use about oxidative phosphorylation or a long winded question like that rather than where glucocorticoids are made
Original post by huniibehi
You're really lucky doing AQA instead trust me, less application questions. But I suppose they can both be quite challenging. :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile

OCR isn't the worse though. I think Edexcel is particularly cruel
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
OCR isn't the worse though. I think Edexcel is particularly cruel

Yes... I do Edexcel chemistry and they are dreadful!
In photosynthesis, when the electrons are passed along the ETC, they move to a higher energy level. Is this the same for the ETC during oxidative phosphorylation in respiration. ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asdfghnmbmn
Yes... I do Edexcel chemistry and they are dreadful!

Do you have to review the scientific articles? I saw that and all of a sudden OCR seemed like heaven
Original post by kell123
Thanks that makes sense. Just to confirm the sodium hydrogencarbonate is used as source of co2.

Yeah that's right :smile:
Original post by maisie__x
Yeah that's right :smile:

So Sodium hydrogencarbonate is a source of CO2 when measuring rate of photosynthesis but when measuring rate of respiration it absorbs CO2 ??
Is the inner chloroplast membrane continuous with the thylakoids? - Is it the same thing? Okay, I'm very confused
Original post by loperdoper
I was only aware of three main pieces of evidence
1) pH gradient. It's higher in the inter membrane space than the matrix, which proves a proton gradient exists
2) artificial vesicles. Artificial vesicles with an ATP synthase molecule and proton pumps prove that a proton gradient can be used to make ATP (but not specifically in mitochondria)
3) pH solution. Mitochondria in slightly alkaline solution does not produce ATP, but when in acidic solution it does. This proves that a proton gradient is used to make ATP in the mitochondria.

Thank you so much! This cleared things up a lot!!!
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
I've done a lot of work on f214 but I don't feel prepared either. There's an ominous feeling about it as the questions can be so obscure and the synoptic questions are a bitch. I wish they'd just ask use about oxidative phosphorylation or a long winded question like that rather than where glucocorticoids are made

Indeed and by looking at 2013 and 2014 paper question there were too many suggest questions. They are so vague and stupid!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, another question; is chlorophyll b an accessory pigment?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending